Scripts / Controlling the Players/Camera"s Y in 101

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2015 19:00
Unless I'm missing something there still seems to be no way to control the Player/Camera Y position (up/down) through LUA. We have everything else, but we need this. I looked at the JetPack LUA script in hopes I'd find something, but it appears that the up/down control is tucked into the engine. Plus, I need a setting I can dial in to a specific height and the camera stays there, still movable through the normal controls or even through X/Z LUA commands.

Does anyone know of a way to control the Player's Y position? If not this something that needs to be added to the system soon. I also posted this on feature creep.

Thanks
"There is no spoon"
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
A lot of things needs to be added soon, but remeber this is beta/alpha. What you wanted is requested from much guys. Even more guys want keypressed command and so on. So wait for it
My dream is to develope games, which makes fun when I create it and fun when other people play it.
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
you can place an object under the player and control the hieght with that, it's not perfect but it does work
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2015 21:59
Cant wait till we get more scripting support.
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
GoDevils
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2015 01:48
@smallg

Thought that since moving an object requires forcing the object out of collisions, so it can't carry the camera to a higher level???

I tried your "Lift" script some time ago and could not get it to work. How does one tie the camera and the object together?

Thanks
"There is no spoon"
GoDevils
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2015 02:08
@smallg

I've taken a look at the Parachute script which allows the player to begin at a height and then float to the terrain, but I still can't figure out how it works? Does the player/camera have an "e" value that can be used with the SetPosition(e,x,y,z) ? I've never really understood how the "e" value works?

Thanks Again
"There is no spoon"
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 17th Feb 2015 17:11
Quote: "A lot of things needs to be added soon, but remeber this is beta/alpha. "

They are now a few short weeks away from a Steam release. It's time to stop justifying missing critical features. If it's still alpha/beta then it shouldn't be released on Steam. I don't want to sound mean here, but let's own the reality of it.
System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0085
J_C
Years of Service
User Offline
It seems the Y dimension needs a lot more love...

Place a soldier on the parapets of the new castle walls and they will not move forward they only walk on the same spot...
very frustrating that you cannot get them to chase you along the parapets...
is it the same on indoor levels above ground floor level..?
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "They are now a few short weeks away from a Steam release. It's time to stop justifying missing critical features. If it's still alpha/beta then it shouldn't be released on Steam. I don't want to sound mean here, but let's own the reality of it."

still going to be early access even on steam, it's technically more of a "move" than a release, i think they are only calling it a release because the hope is that it will get picked up by a wider audience.
steam has a lot more than just finished games but we all agree there's still a long long way to go before a real release
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2015 10:36 Edited at: 18th Feb 2015 10:37
GoDevils wrote: "I tried your "Lift" script some time ago and could not get it to work. How does one tie the camera and the object together?"

I use the "liftuse.lua" and it's working fine for me. I've use higher height to can up two floors on the building.

Smile today, tomorrow could be worse

http://bestradiolarry.ro/fpsarea/

"The best forum, game software, operating system or web platform, it's that software which can give you most of the features and speed, not just amazing graphics."
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 18th Feb 2015 18:19
Quote: "still going to be early access even on steam, it's technically more of a "move" than a release, "

True. Still, is it really not possible to take 1 hour to expose some features like full keyboard and mouse access? Or add a few extra Lua commands for camera control?
System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0085
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
GoDevils wrote: " "I tried your "Lift" script some time ago and could not get it to work. How does one tie the camera and the object together?""

yh you can use the new script or that one larry posted to lift the player - its just a case of working around the physics now.
as for tying the object to the player, you just kinda keep moving it to the player's position which is easy enough, you just need to compensate for physics as i said (turning collision off / on to move objects makes them rise up so you'll need to move it down a bit each time, it's not great but if you're just planning a video capture or something it should be ok

Quote: "True. Still, is it really not possible to take 1 hour to expose some features like full keyboard and mouse access? Or add a few extra Lua commands for camera control? "
)

unfortunately from previous builds i would guess so, but there are a lot of features still to be added, it's ok to say it's only 1 hour (or less) but if 1 feature gets added then why not another or this other etc? it might be good for us but what about all the others who wanted other features? where does the line get drawn? better if Lee sticks to his plan and things move in some sort of order (personally i agree scripting is due an update but then im biased as that's all i really use reloaded for )
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 18th Feb 2015 21:18
Quote: "where does the line get drawn? "

If it's basic, fundamental, and in every engine known to man then you haven't even come close to where the line is drawn. I would say that the line is drawn at a point when you get to more advanced features.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 23:17:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 23:17:47