Product Chat / Starting out advice

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Folks,
Just starting out with reloaded, been reading a bit on here about building tools and character development tools which are planned for the future. All sounds great, but in the meantime, what would be to be the best path for bringing in new characters and buildings etc?

I have zero experience with scripts, but not phased about learning. I've played about with Blender & Makehuman. Also had a look at Fragmotion and Animar. There are a bunch of good youtube videos which help in lots of ways, but from what I can make out, using characters from the old FPSC is a bit limited/problematic. It looks as though you need to use an existing reloaded character script as a template. From what I've seen, these are limited to a few weapons. Would that be the same for any character I develop in Blender and alike? Or, is it possible at this stage to assign any weapons to a modified character script?

Many thanks for any help and advice

John
PM
GoDevils
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2015 22:12
Hi Noobee
Take a look at your forum messages....

As a beta process the current Reloaded still has a lot missing, but there is enough there to develop cool environments, and even basic shooter games. Characters are a bit of a sticky subject, since the Reloaded system supports characters with a specific structure and a specific set of animations. As such the creation of your own characters has some limitations. If you look through these forums you'll find a lot of information on the current state of the subject.

As for additional Characters, there is a way to convert FPS Classic characters so they work in Reloaded. This requires the purchase of the the Animer software from The Game Creator Store. Classic Package #4 has a set of general (non-military) charatcers which can be converted.

As for external systems like Blender, Blender is great but difficult to learn because it is so feature rich. There have been some (myself not included) who have been successful in porting Blender meshes and textures to Reloaded, but it's not easy. I have been using a program called MilkShape, whose direct X export works perfectly with Reloaded. Also, MilkShape can import files and textures from many different formats and convert them to a Direct X file that can be used in Reloaded. MilkShape is not great for Character development, but works well for other entities (buildings, etc.) and can incorporate animations that work in Reloaded.

Hope this helps

"There is no spoon"
noob noob noobie new
Years of Service
User Offline
Cheers Devil, that does answer a fair chunk. But I'm still unclear on:

If a character is converted through Animer, will inherit all the properties of it's parent script taken from an existing reloaded character?
Can alternative weapons be asigned or not asigned as the case maybe?
Is TGC's 'Character Shop' software fully compatible? Does it contain the same limited animations, or a set of different ones?

Once again, many thanks for any help
PM
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

Actually GameGuru as the product is now called supports an infinite range of characters now due to a new system allowing users to override the default animations with their own. Animar automates this process, but currently only supports V1.85 or below.

Once GameGuru goes live on Steam on 2nd March, we'll be offering a wider range of characters in the form of an additional modern combat character, a large selection of zombies, some fantasy characters and a couple of child friendly characters.

We will also be providing some additional fantasy based weapons. It is also possible to convert legacy weapons with a little work, and although it takes a little time to master, it is fairly quick once you get the hang of it.

We'll be looking at guides and tutorials on many subjects, and these seem like possible candidates.

I hope that helps,

Best,

SC
i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
noob noob noobie new
Years of Service
User Offline
Cheers SC, looking forward to the start of March. Just one question (or three as it turned out), which package does the V1.85 refer to? With the latest reloaded running, do I need an old (V1.85) version of Animar? Is that available?

Cheers
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2015 01:34 Edited at: 14th Feb 2015 01:35
1.85 is the Reloaded Beta before the last one. Rafhalzer is the creator of Animer, and I think he said he would be updating it. Didn't catch any ETA though, sorry!

(1.85 is actually 1.085)
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 03:51:21
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 03:51:21