Feature Creep / Add a remove terrain system to remove unnecessary performance taking terrain (that is not used in your game).

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2015 18:38 Edited at: 29th Jan 2015 09:00
Hello and my name is Edgar. I just got my Gold pledge yesterday and Im very happy with this program.

English is not my native language so please excuse any grammatical errors in this post

I have a request that i think needs to be added in this program (if its added, i apologize for not searching thoroughly on google and the forums for the solution)

as you can see on this pictures of "Counter Strike: Global Offensive", parts of the map are left without any polygons/texture/terrain. This is obviously done because these areas of the map are not INTENDED for people to see and also to save memory.

here on this example level i made in fps creator, you can see that there is so much extra unneeded terrain that the player will not and not even meant to be seen while playing this level. Another example pic here is a default map in fps creator. notice how many polygons are even without me adding anything on the map.

The proposal: I propose a "REMOVE TERRAIN" BRUSH in fps creator reloaded so we could remove unnecessary terrain that I think possibly slows down the game (I have little to no knowledge about memory and performance and I am, in any way, are not an expert on these things so please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm willing to learn new things from other peoples opinions and will happy to listen to anyone )

Anyway in conclusion, i THINK this might improve performance to a linear type of game style and possibly i could add more entities without hogging the polygon count (for all as i know, the terrain is included on the polygon count. Please correct me if i'm wrong )

PS: for open world games this might be a useless addition. I believe this "REMOVE TERRAIN" brush addition will benefit the linear type of games that are made

Another PS : Invisible walls KTHNXBAI

8/8 m8

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
welcome, there is a terrain size slider already but it's not a massive effect on fps, might be nice to see it slide much smaller maybe, 48k polygons on a blank map at 0 for me, might help.

or you could use superflat terrain mode/or even turn off terrain all together and then load in your own terrain model which is the correct size

life's one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
EJMagno MustardRace
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2015 08:56
Thank you for replying to my post

Can I ask you where is the "terrain size slider" and the "turn off terrain mode" located?

I can't seem to find it in the program itself. I tried searching on google but to no avail.
thanks in advance!

8/8 m8
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
while testing your game press tab twice and you will lots of sliders - the terrain size is in the middle under graphics i think
you can turn off terrain a couple ways, press f11 while testing and choose the terrain on/off option (press the number of that option) or make a script and call HideTerrain()

i.e.
function no_terrain_main(e)
HideTerrain()
end

or superflat mode is in setup.ini in the fps reloaded main folder (just change it from 0 to 1)

life's one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
you can remove terrain, not much good if you want hills and mountains unless those are models of hills and mountains, but push f11 this brings up a numbered selection for turning off various aspects of the engine, be it water, terrain or ai ect. just hit the number for what your after so that its in CAPITALS that will help fps in some instances. it also shows you a true fps reading

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 amd 4100fx cpu quad core 4gb ram.
PM
shakyshawn8151
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2015 04:44
I hate the effect terrain has on fps, there is a 150fps difference on a new level, 145-153 with terrain on. and when i turn it off I get 300+ fps. I am glad I am making a Interior level, because if anyone fills up a level to make a decent game no one will be able to play it well, without serious optimization.

CPU; Intel G850 2.9ghz GPU: Raedon HD 7750 1gb 4GB Ram

Windows 10 1TB HD 60GB HD
Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2015 09:25 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2015 12:30
Use the "occlusion.lua" if you want to not use a large polygons for unplayable zone.

Place any entity inside or outside of playing zone and use this script at "Main" in the entity option.

Also, you an use the "goindoors.lua" to hide water and terrain too.

Smile today, tomorrow could be worse

http://bestradiolarry.ro/fpsarea

"The best forum, game software, operating system or web platform, it's that software which can give you most of the features and speed, not just amazing graphics."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 15:29:59
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 15:29:59