Product Chat / NVIDIA Card assistance needed.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Greetings
Others have asked on the forum but from what I am able to find - the queries have gone unanswered.

Please can someone help me with getting Reloaded to recognize my NVIDIA card?
In editing mode it shows the on board intel card.
I have tried: using the NVIDIA control panel to have force the high speed processor onto the the numerous exe's - map editor.exe, the lightmapper.exe and the main.exe. Did not work.
I tried applying the global settings (high speed processor) in the control panel - Same result Reloaded only sees my intel card.
I have tried different sets of drivers - Same result.

The weird thing is if I return to the NVIDIA control panel it shows the programs attached to the High spreed processor. But obviously not when avtually running the program. Is there a file that I can HARD change the settings?

I understand this is beta but it's difficult create anything with 10 fps - with nothing on map. Any help or reply would be greatly appreciated.
My system:
Dell Laptop
GeForce GT750M
Intel Core i7-4500U CPU @1.8GHz
16 GB Ram (15.9 Usable)
Current Driver 347.09

Thank you.
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2015 10:09
Why not just totally disable the Intel graphics controller, if you have a dedicated card you should be able to just disable the intel one.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz (Passmark: 9021), 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked (Passmark: 8056)
PM
Isagabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the info. Will definitely try that. To be honest I was not aware that this was possible.
Best
Isagabe
Years of Service
User Offline
My laptop did not like that. Everything crashes saying I am no longer attached to a gpu. I see both in device manager and only disabled the intel one. Reset and all works again. Thanks for trying.
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2015 14:26
Did you disable it in the BIOS?
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 20th Jan 2015 15:29
I don't know if this is precisely relevant to your situation, but I found this help on the web that might be useful.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-031103.htm?wapkw=switchable+graphics#howtoenable

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0085
Isagabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Will soldier on.
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Game Development
Posted: 20th Jan 2015 16:40 Edited at: 20th Jan 2015 16:41
I have the same problem - a Sony Vaio flip with a intel processor and Nvidia GT750 switchable.

Usually, you can right click on the game icon and choose 'run with Nvidia', but it does not work for FPSCR - it ONLY sees the intel.

In laptops, there is no way to disable this feature - it is hardwired and without the intel chip, there would be no initial video. The motherboard supports two video gpu's and the software switches it (unless you are lucky enough to have a hard wired switch). I've seen no icon to switch - just the Nvidia control panel and right-click menus. I selected my laptop to use the Nvidia by default in the Nvidia control panel and it works for most games (I think - hard to tell, really).

Mike

YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!

www.world-class-multimedia.com

For world-class virtual instruments - www.supersynths.com
RustyNuts
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2015 19:48
I to am suffering with the same problem.... my new laptop arrived today running Win8.1 with Intel HD4000 integrated and 2GB Nvidia dedicated. Set all available options in Nvidia control panel and also set graphics options to Nvidia on Reloaded exe, but when running Reloaded and press F11 its saying my Intel card is being used...

All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.
PM
cycleops
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Fallout 4
Posted: 20th Jan 2015 23:17
Ok Here is what you do.
1. right click on your desktop and open the Nvidia Control Panel.
2. go to manage 3d settings.
3. Click on the tab that says "program settings"
4. Under "select a program to customize" click add.
5. Then find your Reloaded exe file should be at C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\FPS Creator Reloaded\FPSCreator.exe and click "add selected program".
6. Then Under Select the preferred graphics processor for program select your Nvidia Card.
7. Clip apply and then close the NVidia control panel.
You should be good to go I attached a screen shot of what your Control panel should look like when finished.

Cycleops

Cycleops

Attachments

Login to view attachments
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2015 23:32 Edited at: 20th Jan 2015 23:36
You can go through the motions as mentioned above, but it still does not work. I made Nvidia the default processor, I have added all the FPSCR .exe files to use the Nvidia processor, I have right-clicked and chose to run FPSCR using the Nvidia GPU - none of which works in FPSCR. I have done this for every possible executeable in FPSCR and no matter what you do, pressing F11 shows the Intel card.

I have found absolutely no way to make it work. I tried just about everything. I guess this falls on TGC for looking into this.

In other games, I believe the GeForce card works right. I'll have to see how to find out if it is or not. It's very frustrating to have a high end laptop and the main feature I bought it for may not work properly.

Mike

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2015 00:31
I have done the same. Reloaded always says it's using the integrated graphics. I don't know if it really is or not. I've just assumed it was using the NVidia since I assigned it in the NVidia Control Panel. If it is indeed using the integrated GPU, then I'm in for a real treat if I can get the NVidia card to work! My frame rates have been pretty good!

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2015 02:25 Edited at: 21st Jan 2015 02:26
My frame rates, with nothing loaded in but one model and some grass - shaders, grass, terrain and entities set to medium, have been around 30fps. Not good considering NOTHING has been placed but a model. Without the model, 32fps is what I get, so it's not the model.

When moving among the grass, frame rate drops to about 19fps. I am using the most current version.

No, I truly believe it is using the crapola intel video card and I see no way to switch or choose from my multiple GPUs.

Mike

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2015 03:16
Yeah I'm sure it's the intel card that's giving you grief. I've never really known what to make of mine, the integrated GPU is an Intel 4600, which isn't bad as far as integrated graphics go (passmark 728). The Nvidia card (GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598) is way better, of course. I've just assumed all along that Reloaded was just displaying the Intel GPU because it was drawing that info from the wrong location. If, as I've read above, it is not using the NVidia card (even with all the things done listed above), then Lee and gang should resolve this before the Steam release or there will be some sour grapes out there! I've always wondered why my MAME cabinet PC got way better frame rates on anything I've done with Reloaded even though it has a lower spec card!

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
RustyNuts
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2015 05:15
I too spent many hours last night trying all possible ways to get Reloaded to use my Nvidia card but its still showing my Intel card is being used.

PM
Isagabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Guys. I have gone through the obvious steps (as mentioned in my OP and tried the solutions offered by earlier replies) and have arrived at the same conclusion - this is clearly a laptop/intel chip issue.

The only thing I have not tried is the BIOS change as suggested by @Gtox. I'm reluctant to go mess around there until I have backed up my laptop. I'll do that later today. I'll keep you posted.

@Jerry Tremble is right when it comes to Steam users - they will expect Reloaded to accept the Nvidia global control panel command the way the rest of their Steam games do.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm running dual GPU's and I don't have any issues with Reloaded not using the Nvidia high end card, so I can't imagine that it is Reloaded, otherwise it would be happening to everyone. I'm guessing that cycleops is also not having issues.

The first, and possibly obvious thing to do is to ensure that all drivers are up to date.

I didn't set Reloaded specifically to use the Nvidia card, but set the global settings for the card, I'm not sure if that helps anyone.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
cycleops
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2015 07:38 Edited at: 21st Jan 2015 07:48
I have an ASUS g750jm with Intel 4600 integrated and a GTX 860m dedicated and I'm able to run reloaded using my NVidia card. One additional step you may want to try is setting your power scheme to high performance and disable UAC.

This is actually a Nvidia Optimus bug you guys are not the first to have this problem. There are several Forum threads dedicated to this problem.

Cycleops
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2015 08:35
I have the same issue with my laptop (spec in sig).

No matter what settings I use Reloaded still uses the IntelHD. I have no problems with any other games/software using the Nvidia.

PC - Windows 7 64bit, Intel i5, 12Gb Ram, 1TB WD Black, Evga Gefore 760gtx 2GB

Laptop - Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Core i7-3632QM processor, 8GB of RAM, 1Tb Hdd, Nvidia Geforce GT 740m
PM
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2015 12:38
I run on high performance at all times since I almost never use it unplugged.

I'll disable UAC for giggles and grins but i doubt it's that. I'm a computer repair technician and IT professional. I am pretty sure hardware and software wise I would be able to fix this problem if it were fixable.

It may be the hardware manufacturers fault more than ours. Mine is a sony Vaio flip 15 inch with Intel and Nvidia GeForce 750GT core i7 with 8gb ram.

All my drivers are 100% up to date.

What about the rest of you - what hardware are you running? Perhaps there is a common thread here?

Mike

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2015 14:02
My specs are in my signature, but I omitted the manufacturer. The laptop is made by msi, i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); It seems the common thread here is that they are laptops. It looks like SC has a desktop, unless he's omitted the laptop in his sig. Cycleops has a laptop, obviously, but has no problem. You all have me curious now!

PM
DarthBasicVader
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: little bits of everything ....
Posted: 21st Jan 2015 14:39 Edited at: 21st Jan 2015 16:56
Count me in ! I already reported this issue.

6 FPS with 1.0085 ; 13 FPS with 1.0009

My PC:

HP notebook g6-1232sl - Intel Core i5-2430M 2,4 GHz

3 MB cache L3 - RAM 6 GB DDR3 - Display AMD Radeon HD 6470M (1 GB DDR3) + Intel HD 3000

My idea is that although HP says that the display card and chipset are switchable ... they actually aren't.

They need each other to work.

HP notebook g6-1232sl - Intel Core i5-2430M 2,4 GHz

3 MB cache L3 - RAM 6 GB DDR3 - Display AMD Radeon HD 6470M (1 GB DDR3) + Intel HD 4000

DBV
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2015 15:54 Edited at: 21st Jan 2015 15:55
Quote: "It looks like SC has a desktop, unless he's omitted the laptop in his sig"

My sig just shows my desktop, I also have a laptop which is the one I was referring to.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
cycleops
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2015 19:53
After some trial and error, here is what I found on my system.

World Class Media is correct, adding the exe files of the Reloaded program does not select which graphics card is selected. The only way I can get Reloaded to use my 860m is by changing the default video card to "High Performance NVidia Processor" in the global tab of the Nvidia control panel.

The other method did work but that was several Nvidia driver releases ago. I have also heard that if you do a clean uninstall of your video card drivers and than re-install them that this has worked for some people with this issue.

Hope this was some what helpful

Cycleops

PC-I7-3770K 3.9Ghz / 32gbRam/ 2xGTX 770 SLI

Laptop-Asus ROG G750Jm/ 24GB Ram/ GTX860m
RustyNuts
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2015 22:21
Well after much looking on the net and reading Intel forums I've accepted the fact that their is no way i can set my Nvidia card as default. The Intel card is the one connected to the display on my laptop and there is no way i can use the Nvidia card unless i attach it to an external monitor, which defeats the object as it a laptop. That said when i started using my new laptop and Reloaded with GTTR with the default settings as my test game i was lucky to get 20-25fps. But after numerous driver installs for both the Intel card and the Nvidia card i am pleaded to say that i now get 55-60fps!!! On a side note taking advise from the previous post i can confirm that when i display the Nvidia GPU Activity icon in my taskbar it tells me that Reloaded Map Editor is running under the Nvidia card. So i set the Main exe and also the Lightmapper just to be safe, but once the game has loaded i have no way of knowing if either of these are active in the Nvidia GPU Activity icon. I did change a few of the setting in the Nvidia control panel that i deemed as correct for my laptop and Reloaded, and as i said im now getting what i was expecting from my new laptop.Keep up the good work one and all...........

RustyNuts

PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2015 02:59 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2015 03:09
I'm with you, Rusty, I've tried everything suggested above, in fact, I tried every single one of them last February when I first got this laptop. Thanks for the ideas, though! I am fortunate to get a decent frame rate with the HD4600 integrated graphics, but it would be nice to see what this NVidia card can do! It works on all my Steam games as well as any other games, other game engines, etc. One thing of note that I found different this time around was that I was able to disable the integrated graphics and still get a desktop. I wasn't able to do that the last time I tried that, (had to connect an external montor) ~ yr ago. Perhaps all the driver updates, etc. have resolved that. Who knows? Who cares? I was able to launch Reloaded, but the editor only displayed black where (normally) the grass would be. I was able to place a start marker (which oddly showed with a lit area around it), but when I launched, nothing but a black screen. I felt as though I was almost there, perhaps a setting in the NVidia control panel, but I gave up there because I wouldn't have the faintest idea what to change!

With Integrated Graphics disabled:

Thanks, SC for the reply, I suspected you had one! The common thread, though, does seem to be laptops, but obviously not all; everyone that does have this issue has it on a laptop. Good luck to everyone! Please report back if you've found anything new!

PM
RustyNuts
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2015 07:23
Jerry I got exactly the same screen when I too disabled my intel card. But like I said I can confirm my Nvidia card is being used when Reloaded is running. And as a side note I saved GTTR as a stand a lone and ran it, pressed F11 and it's still saying its using the Intel card but my FPS is about the same so I'm happy with that.

RustyNuts

PM
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2015 12:34
Why is FPSCR about the only 'game' that cannot seem to access the Nvidia secondary card? Is it a hardware abstraction layer thingy or does the software ASSUME one card and not bother even giving a list? Shouldn't it maybe have a settings section where you choose the resolution and video card to use - most other games have this.

Perhaps we will see it in a future update?

Mike

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2015 14:40 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2015 14:47
Quote: "On a side note taking advise from the previous post i can confirm that when i display the Nvidia GPU Activity icon in my taskbar it tells me that Reloaded Map Editor is running under the Nvidia card. So i set the Main exe and also the Lightmapper just to be safe, but once the game has loaded i have no way of knowing if either of these are active in the Nvidia GPU Activity icon."

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood you. Mine is exactly the same, I can't see the icon when running a game, but f11 tells me it's using the Intel GPU. How are you confirming the NVidia card is being used when running a game? That 55-60 fps is about what I get on GTTR with the Intel GPU launching from the editor. My desktop (in my MAME cab, spec below) gets around 130 fps launching from the editor, and has a much lower spec card than my laptop.

PM
RustyNuts
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2015 21:28 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2015 21:30
Hi Jerry here is a shot that shows the Nvidia GPU Activity Icon is using the card when Reloaded starts. But like I said i have no way of knowing if this is the case after the game is running.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2015 09:39
Thanks for the running report on this issue. Assume for the moment the F11 graphics card readout is just picking up the wrong card name (first in the list). A better way to check if you are using the dedicated GPU in your laptop is to run Reloaded in a blank level , look at the sun and write down your FPS using the F11 status view. Now disable the NVIDIA/AMD GPU completely and repeat the test. If the second FPS reading is LOWER then you know that everything is fine and your dedicated card is being used by the engine. If NOT, then you may have a bug report here!

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2015 13:29 Edited at: 26th Jan 2015 13:29
Excellent idea! We were all working in the opposite direction. I did as you suggested, and indeed it appears that the NVidia card is being used. Below are the results, first image is with both enabled, second is with NVidia disabled

Thanks, Lee!

PM
RustyNuts
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2015 14:36
Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news and if there's going to be anyone that's gonna put a spanner in the works, then its gonna be me....sorry!!! I did what lee said 3 times and everytime the results were about the same. The top pic is with both my Intel and Nvidia cards enabled, but my settings are to use the Nvidia card when Reloaded is running, and from my other post this is correct.
[img][/img]

The second is with my Nvidia card disabled in the device manager.
[img][/img]

Like I said I ran the test 3 times with each one giving about the same FPS.

RustyNuts

Lenovo G700 Laptop,i3-6gb ram,Nvidia GT720m
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2015 16:20
Quote: " Assume for the moment the F11 graphics card readout is just picking up the wrong card name (first in the list)."

Looks like Reloaded is sorting list (A-Z), before check it.

3com
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2015 00:53 Edited at: 27th Jan 2015 00:54
That's weird, Rusty, you get a substantially higher rate with the NVidia card disabled? While I'm mostly pleased with my results, I checked it again on my desktop. It's not a bad card, GTX 645, but it's passmark is about half my laptop card. Here is the result:

Now I realize the resolution is set a little less, but it's not by much, it's connected to a cheap tv that I threw in my MAME cabinet. But what a difference in frame rate! Every setting on my laptop is set for performance. Power, visuals, etc. Now I'm still not sold on it using the NVidia card in my first screenshot, based on this and the results you're getting!

PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2015 17:23 Edited at: 27th Jan 2015 17:24
512 fps!, I've a lot of work to get 32 fps.

A side note, I had added my specs in my sig via profile yerterday, but I do not see nothing in my sig, anybody know why?

Edit: fixed.

3com

Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 8.1 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2015 17:30
I was a little surprised at the 512 myself, but then I'd never really looked at the fps on a blank map on the desktop. I never actually MAKE anything on that machine. It's my game computer and it's in my (work in progress) MAME cabinet. Really hard to work at; it's made to play at! I still wonder why it's over twice the rate of my laptop, though.

Side note: I see your specs, 3com!

PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2015 17:17
Quote: "Side note: I see your specs, 3com!"

Me too!, thanks for the tip.

3com

Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 8.1 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2015 16:56 Edited at: 30th Jan 2015 17:06
Yes, why is it that when I am using the "High Performance" Nvidia 735M Nvidia GPU on my Sony Vaio Flip (15 inch) laptop, the best I can get with everything turned medium on a blank level is 74FPS??? The moment I look at the ground it goes to 30FPS and if I add anything at all I get 12-18FPS.

However, with everything at the lowest, nothing in the level, terrain and everything turned off, I can achieve 122fps. You cannot make a level this way and everything that could affect the FPS has been lowered all the way. Not so good for a supposedly hi-end laptop Nvidia GPU. I am horribly disappointed.

I like the idea of taking my laptop with me and creating levels wherever I want. I hate being tied down to a desktop computer for any creative tasks.

Mike

Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2015 17:29 Edited at: 30th Jan 2015 17:46
While better than integrated, that's not exactly high performance. 735M is sub-1000 G3D passmark score (711). I believe 1000 is considered minimum for Running Reloaded "well". And there are plenty of people with 5000+ score desktop GPUs having less than stellar performance in some instances.

edit: I feel the desire to not be tied to a desktop. Maybe worth investing in a gaming-class notebook (Origin, etc.) for level designing. The GTX 970M scores 3992. 980Ms are near 7K score.

Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K, 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC, Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1024x1280

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 22:56:18
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 22:56:18