Feature Creep / Roll the video please...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2015 17:12
I have been mostly pleased with the advancements in the current beta 009. The addition of the image display is a great step forward for those of us looking for ways to communicate with the player, and further the direction of the story.

Video is a key element for transitions and furthering the story of the game. This said, it seems to me that it is time to add video display to the mix. For starters it doesn't need to be any more complex than simply calling the play of the video, just as we can now call still images to the display.

Hope to see some level of Video support in the next release.

"There is no spoon"
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
This is an often requested feature and will happen, it's certainly on the to do list.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2015 14:59 Edited at: 20th Jan 2015 15:02
I could be completely wrong, but I would have thought that cinematic cut scenes in modern video games are not movies, but scripted sequences played out within the engine. Adding videos would dramatically increase the file size (not that I'm saying that we shouldn't have the ability to introduce movies). For cut scenes, having camera control trumps movie playability.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2015 17:10 Edited at: 20th Jan 2015 17:16
It is an absolute must... intros, credits and other elements play key roles in video loading. By the way developing an in-game cut-scene is not an easy task... I'm perfectly fine with rendering out something in 3DSMAX or Blender as a video and having it load when needed rather than dealing with the scripting and bugs that would come of a in engine cut-scene.

For instance the Dead Island (1) and Far Cry 3 intros were pre-rendered.

x9 (FPS Classic) had the ability to load videos. I don't want anything less than what x9 had. I want the same or more. This is why I am often frustrated with Reloaded at times/or inpatient.

Also in x9 we had several camera scripting commands you could use. We need these back in Reloaded as well. Small cinematic scenes this would be particularly key for with simply having actors move about to certain locations as the player is assessing the new scenes. For instance Metal Gear (1) after climbing out of the water in the first stage.

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I would like to see video on entities working. Easy as pie in DB Pro to get a simple object to play even a full movie without a need for a shader. I remember putting a cinema scene together very effectively using it. Using a texture for different frames is okay for some things, but not great for anything long or decent quality.

I would also like to see some sort of editor for making cut-scenes in the future. It has been mentioned before, so may be something to look forward to.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 03:08:59
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 03:08:59