Scripts / using a different font as HUD images?

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2015 10:38
I am no scripter, but, I remember digging around in the folders of my Half Life 2 install a while back and seeing something strange, yet, quite interesting.

In one of the folders, there was a folder called font. I though it would be cool to grab that font and install it on my machine. So, I went into the folder and sure enough, I was greeted by the Half Life 2 font. What I found after is why I am writing this thread.

I have seen a lot of people saying that we can only have one image show at a time and they are limited by this, so, they can't progress with their hunger scripts or inventory scripts.

In Half Life 2, they actually made their own font and parts of this font were actually images. ALL of the weapon huds are in fact 'letters or symbols' in their font. So, instead of calling for an image to show, they would simply tell the engine to show a particular symbol or letter and this would show the weapon hud.

I don't know if we can tell the engine what font to use, but, this could be a work around for some people? Also, I imagine this would work well instead of images as fonts are typically vector and not rasterised images, so, no matter what size screen you have, the images would always be super sharp.

I hope this information can help someone!

Cheers

Jay.

Avram
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2015 18:49
Yes, we just need a way to easily load custom fonts into the engine, which is probably not possible atm

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2015 20:20 Edited at: 14th Jan 2015 20:20
We may have to change the stock font before the steam release. To stay safe with copyright laws. I'm just assuming its a place-holder for now. I have some versed knowledge in typography but I've not actually built a solid working vector typeset. I guess in the future we may even see fonts as a possible option in the store?

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 23:18:50
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 23:18:50