Product Chat / Save standalone level

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2015 17:28
I created a standalone file level.
I launched the executable and I clicked on start ...............
7 minutes to load the level!
is a joke right?
7 minutes !!! that's right, 7 minutes
And then where did the water at the beginning of the level?
global warming?
In the end one thing I get it ........ it is absolutely impossible to create great levels with many details.
Forgive my English

The software I use? ... Autocad, sketchup, Spazio3D, pconplanner, Kerkythea, wings3d, paint.net, torque3d, AxixGameFactory, PD particles.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
arrrggghhh !!

That's not looking or sounding good
PM
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2015 19:54
The load times are being addressed for the next build it is on the list of changes to be done.

As for the water issue that is a strange one haven't seen that before.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz (Passmark: 9021), 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked (Passmark: 8056)
PM
ILIKESCIFI
Years of Service
User Offline
The water issue: I had this too and I think the problem is the "water & reflections" option in edit mode. If you set it to "0" there will not be ANY WATER! It does not turn off the reflections only - it turns off the water itself. Maybe you have done this just before exporting your level.
Hope this helps!
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2015 15:13
You can go into the test game mode and press F11. At the bottom are options to shut off different options, to increase performance.
Press F11 to turn off that display.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been using this software since day one. I have a relatively old Q6600 now with an old 300gig 7200 hdd. Loading is awful speed wise. I have learned to live with it over all this time, but yes it needs improving somehow. For one loading as much at the very start as possible would help break the main loading screen up a bit. Still, easy to say, harder to achieve in a game making tool. Some way to add a few screen shots for it to slideshow through or randomly pick images as it loads would help make the wait less chore like. That works for other big open world games like Skyrim, Fallout and many more, although they do still load faster...
AI obstacle generation also takes quite awhile once your level gets relatively busy. Could this not be calculated once in test game mode and, if nothing has changed, just load in second time round etc? Nothing complex, just a flag that can be changed/reset if you change anything on the editor screen, if it is still set load the AI data, if it has reset then recalculate it. That sort of thing.

Just a few ideas on how things could possibly be sped up. As I say I am fairly used to it now, the in-game speed is more of a concern for me, as I am always running out of horsepower. Still, when scripting, a 4 or 5 min load time really messes up your work-flow...

Oh and all you peeps with SSD drives. I think you have forgotten how fast they are compared to the older 7200 drives Some of course, have 5200 rpm drives, even worse... I might have an old Raptor 10,000 rpm drive kicking about, but it is so small as not worth using. Perhaps I should see if it is still okay and use it just for Reloaded, no, GameGuru, lol. Probably still way slower than a modern SSD though. That is on my list, but unfortunately other things come first, so unless I get an unexpected windfall I can't see me having one for some time Any improvements for us with more shonky kit would be appreciated!

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
@Bisella

Hi there
This post was created on 11th Jan 2015 ...
Has this improved since ?
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 10:04:20
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 10:04:20