Feature Creep / Add noise to the terrain

Author
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2015 11:13
I like the look of the randomly generated terrain - much better than the smooth, rolling hills. If there was a way of adding a noise brush (with editable parameters), that would be good.
Duncan Peck
Years of Service
User Offline
I know what you mean... the randomly generated terrain does look beautiful and a lot nicer than anything I can make. A tool that does the opposite of the blend tool... i.e. to rough up the terrain would aid in making much more realistic environments manually. It would be great for hills, mountains, seabed's, riverbeds, all manner of things.
PM
morphtactic
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes to this suggestion! Plus we still need the basic materials to be expanded from a pitiful 4 materials to a whole palete of materials that can be blended. A minimum of 20. Every great level is built from the ground up. We still dont have the basics for making great levels. A
proper terrain and material editor is more important than construction kits right now.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2015 18:31
In the attachment is a render I just did using a program I've had since 1999/2000. It does have quite a bit of polys going on there but using features like noise really helps with realism.

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2015 05:18
@Teabone - now that would be nice in Reloaded! I don't think it it would take a lot in the way of new tools to get dramatically improved terrain - just a few new brushes with editable parameters would do the trick. The ability to import terrain height ma
Vortigern
Years of Service
User Offline
I like Duncan's suggestion of a 'roughen' tool - it would save a lot of work to be able to paint a random roughness across large sections of terrain.

Also, the editor in 'Divinity Original Sin' has a very nice way of layering terrain textures, which I think would work well for FPS.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 15:05:39
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 15:05:39