3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Blender - Can You Merge Faces After Loop Cuts..?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2014 20:36
I've put my underwater items on hold for a bit while I get more familiar with Blender and have started on some sci-fi corridors. The problem I have is this:

I've done a shedload of loop cuts to position the light here:

And the inside of the corridor here:

But this has upped my poly count considerably. Is it possible to merge faces together after doing loop cuts..? Like the faces I've highlighted here for example:

Merging just those faces together would save eight polys alone. I like loop cuts because they separate faces into exact halves, thirds etc. Or would I be better off adding cube meshes and slapping them onto the model instead..? That didn't sound very dignified lol

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2014 21:02 Edited at: 30th Dec 2014 21:07
There is something you can do, looking at your model.

change to 'edge select mode

Hover your cursor over one of the lines

Hold 'Alt' and right click the line (see image)

Then, hit 'X' and choose the option at the bottom called 'edge loop'.

This will remove the loop cut and save on polys.

You could do this for the 4 loop cuts in the middle of the model and the two on the sides.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Jay.

EDIT - Only just read through all of your post. With regards to your light on the bottom:

You could use a simple box to achieve the same result. It's not very dignified, but, it has no detrimental effects and works perfectly well. Or, if (like me) you want to keep it all as one mesh. Follow the steps above and remove all of the loop cuts, so you are just left with one plane on the bottom. Then, select that plane in face select mode, hit 'E' to extrude and right click immediately to cancel the extrusion. Then, hit 'S' (for scaling) and scale the new extruded face to the size that you want the light to be. Once you have the correct size, you can then hit 'E' again and extrude down to the depth you require for the light.

If you don't understand any of this, please feel free to message me. I struggle to explain things in text!

snowdog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2014 21:06 Edited at: 30th Dec 2014 21:58
Brilliant, thanks for that! Will give that a go later. Ta!

Edit: Looking miles better now, thanks a lot for that...must have saved a load of polys there:

Just got to find a texture for the outside of the corridor and I'm all done! Thanks very much for the help!

Another edit: Realised I missed a few. Have got the whole thing down to 184 polys which doesn't sound too bad I reckon!

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 14:17:48
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 14:17:48