3rd Party Models/Media Chat / from maya to blender to fpsc :-) HELP!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I work with Maya and i can not exported from Maya to FPSCR so I open what I built with Blender and the model opened very beautiful.
The big question: How do I save the model with textures? I only get X file. What about the DDS image FIle? how can i get it? in maya i save to OBJ and MTL and blender get it OK and i see all the colors off the model.
raymondlee306
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2014 23:18
The model format is "x". The texture format is dds. You need all of those files for the texture to show up. The model then needs to be "unwrapped" or UV mapped for the textures to appear in game properly.

Sorry if I'm not understanding the question correctly.
snowdog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2014 23:44
Take a look at unfamillia's video tutorial series. It's in a sticky above and is REALLY easy to follow. He covers everything from creating a base mesh (x file) to unwrapping and texturing the model.

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
PM
Go Devils
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2014 05:32
My suggestion...

A) Get MilkShape ($25) 30 day trail available
B) I'm assuming that you are UV mapping your texture in Maya. Export your texture as a JPG, PNG, or TGA file, and the mesh as an .OBJ file.
c) In Photoshop or GIMP, convert the Texture file to DDS. Note, I would think that you will need to set-up the texture that you use in maya to a X4 size; 512 x 512, 1024x1024, etc based upon your texture needs. These size formats are critical in FPSR, so you want to retain the texture file size even when you convert it to DDS.
D) Import the .OBJ into MilkShape. Load the texture into MilkShape, Select all, and assign the DDS texture to the mesh. If the UVs are correct the texture should realign itself to the mesh as it was in Maya.
E) If all is correct use the MilkShape .X export to save the file into an FPSR Entitybank folder. Place the DDS file in the same folder. Then create an FPE file, and (with fingers crossed) try loading the entity into the FPSR Editor.

I have not worked with files from Maya, but I have done this with several different OBJ files and had success.

Good Luck and Happy New Year

There is no Spoon...
Dany
Years of Service
User Offline
I found only one guide of unfamillia's about animation and That's not what I'm looking for :-(
I try for a month open models thet i built with Maya on FPSCR and i can not manage to to it. I only manage to convert my model to format X and import it to FPSCR and the model is OK but I get the default texture in red and white colors :-( I despair of myself!!!
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2015 19:18 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2015 19:18
If you click on the chequered box on the left of the screen, you get to choose the texture image.
Duncan Peck
Years of Service
User Offline
Unfamiliar has a good set of tutorials: http://fpscrforum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208184&b=8

I watched them once through there was a section where he talks about using gimp to make .dds files, normal maps, specular maps, everything. I did try it all back then and it seemed to work. You should be able to import those .dds files into blender and to FPSC:R

I've never used maya... but can you export the textures which you uvunwrapped onto? You must be able to... I'm sure you can use GIMP to convert a standard image file to .dds with the right plugin... Unfamiliar has it all in one of his tutorial videos and I did it.
PM
Dany
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you all, I hope this will help me. I'm going to check everything now

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 16:36:44
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 16:36:44