3rd Party Models/Media Chat / How Big Is Too Big??

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2014 17:32
I'm working on a 3 story building which is both exterior and interior. It's not quite complete but I'm expecting that even with cleaning that It will be about 19,000 ploygons with a 2048 x 2048 texture. I know that Reloaded likes low poly counts, and while I've tested it successfully in Reloaded is this level of ploys too big for reloaded?

There is no Spoon...
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 15th Dec 2014 18:04
Can tell you now, unlikely you will get it into reloaded as you most likely exceeded the amount of verts X format will allow.

19k polygon is far too much, how detailed is the building.? Screenshot will help to gauge if 19k is too much for what you are creating.If the walls is subdivided, I would suggest using a larger texture map and reduce the amount of subdivision, unless the building has lots of arches in or rounded corners, 19k is absurdly high. Could also be the way you modeled it.?

If there is no other way, slicing the model into equal parts per floor, in other words you should have 3 meshes that you can layer in the editor to create the final building.

I have managed to render a million polygons on screens without taking too much of a hit, and that includes a 100 AI running about.19K isn't bad but it's not ideal. For a building if you consider there will be other buildings around most likely, you will likely then run into problems.

Win7 pro, Intel 2500K @3.7ghz 660GTX 8gig ram 16tb HDD
Go Devils
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2014 20:27
Thanks Wiz

I kinda figured that it was too big. I'm working in MilkShape and trying to develop a system for myself where I stat with a plane and extrude with windows and doorways punched out. Clearly I'm starting with too dense of a mesh which I can and will fix. (still learning)

There is no Spoon...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 16th Dec 2014 03:02
Yeah that is far too much The level height seems a bit odd as well, always good to import one of the AI meshes as a reference for scale, I am not sure if milkshape scale is the same as reloaded 1:1, 125 units is generally just about right, cosmic prophet will be able to tell you.

"dense' you mean subdivision, :p Working with a single plane(mesh) is good practice, but you will have far better control using a couple of meshes and merging them when done.Good luck and Practice, practice, practice !

Win7 pro, Intel 2500K @3.7ghz 660GTX 8gig ram 16tb HDD
Go Devils
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2014 16:26
Hi Wiz

Funny you should mention scale which has been something that I have been experimenting with. I purchased the TGC City Pack a few months ago and have been using it as a reference for scale. In MilkShape, I have been using 1 unit equal to one inch, 12 units to the foot, etc. (sorry but I don't do metric very well).
One of my first large projects was the elevated train pack (partly pictured below) which is on sale through the store. From my experience elevated train systems have the track at about 3 stories above ground, and in general a story is 18 - 20 feet. Thus, the Car Park 3rd floor is about 570 units above ground level, approx equal to 48 feet using the above system. This seems to be in line with the scale of the buildings in the City pack.

Are there any standards for scale in Reloaded, and if so what are they? What do you mean by "125 Units"?

There is no Spoon...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2014 18:56 Edited at: 16th Dec 2014 18:57
A Model like this should have below 2000 Polygons... if you are more advanced in modeling you should even strife for below 1000. You'd get the same visual result as you get now with 19000

Happy Modeling!

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"

"absurdity has become necessity"

79% Sale on my latest Scifi Modelpack. Get it here!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 16:27:27
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 16:27:27