Product Chat / Up and Coming Multiplayer......Question ?

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok we can Create single player games and eventually sell them....But how does this work with Multiplayer....
Will it basically mean we can only create Multiplayer maps we can share on steam ?

Or can our single player game map be used as Multiplayer if we wish....... Any chance of some info on how multiplayer will actually work...Will it be steam only and we wont be able to host our own ?
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2014 21:38
Sorry to jump in but i would also like to know the above along with how does custom media work say you the player makes a map with custom media and hosts the game does the player joining have to sit and wait for the media to download ?

PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, CPU: Intel I7 - 4GHz, GPU: Asus R9 6GB, MEM: 32GB DDR3, HDD: SSD
Slaur3n
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2014 22:24
Lets hope that its not just uploaded maps to steam only... . .

I want to create a game where people can host a server so others can join.
And that the same effects, lightning shadows etc from the Singleplayer will be possible in MP.

Your signature has been erased by a mod! Too large
xCept
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
My understanding is that multiplayer will require Steam since TGC is using the Steam framework for all multiplayer infrastructure (which was wise as it saves them months or even years of creating a comparable system from scratch). You will still be able to host a server through the Steam network, invite friends etc. Presumably the same lighting and technical merits of single player will be inherited in multiplayer games.

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, AMD Phenom X6 1100T 3.60 GHz CPU (Passmark: 5934), NVIDIA Geforce GTX-680 2GB GPU (Passmark: 5712), G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2014 23:23
Quote: "You will still be able to host a server through the Steam network"

Does this cost anything?
What's about your fees, how it works in this case?

3com
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2014 23:27
@3com steam is free m8

PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, CPU: Intel I7 - 4GHz, GPU: Nvidia 980 GTX 4GB, MEM: 16GB DDR4, HDD: SSD, 2x 4K Acer Monitors
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2014 23:46 Edited at: 7th Dec 2014 23:47
The way it works is the engine is using the Steam match making system and Steam client to client networking framework. This means you can share levels with anyone that has FPSC Reloaded on Steam. When you join the hosts lobby you will download the map and all the assets required to run the level. You will then be able to play with them. When you are done the levels and assets will most likely be deleted.

You are right in thinking you must have both Steam and FPSCR.

Eventually the system will change so when you build the game in its final form you will be able to define a Steam AppID allowing you to release your own Steam game that does not require the user to own FPSCR only your game. This is not going to be done for a while until the engine is more feature complete.

The system is not fully completed yet but the lobby system works, the map downloading works and you can play together with up to 4 players at the moment.

There is a possibility of dedicated servers as I believe the Steam framework does allow for that but again not for a while, one job at a time.

As a side note if you want to publish your game on Steam and use the MP system that is free you just have to go through Greenlight to get your API details to be able to publish.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz (Passmark: 9021), 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked (Passmark: 8056)
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2014 23:55 Edited at: 8th Dec 2014 00:01
So from what I can gather then Reloaded will only be Multiplayer through steam.....Im not sure if that's a good or bad thing to be honest.

In X9 classic you could actually select to build a multiplayer game and host your own server afterword...

I was kind of hoping for the same type of feature.

EDIT...

Quote: "Eventually the system will change so when you build the game in its final form you will be able to define a Steam AppID allowing you to release your own Steam game that does not require the user to own FPSCR only your game

"

Thanks Next ...you must have posted whist I was typing.... Im just not keen on being steam reliant ..
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2014 00:34
Thanks for the info Next

Quote: "When you join the hosts lobby you will download the map and all the assets required to run the level"

Gulp my one level is already bordering on 4gb lol i hope it will be compressed before sending and in packets

PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, CPU: Intel I7 - 4GHz, GPU: Nvidia 980 GTX 4GB, MEM: 16GB DDR4, HDD: SSD, 2x 4K Acer Monitors
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
what about multiplayer co op games, that are not head to head against each other like?
I was wanting to make a co op game at some point, aswell as a pvp game lol..

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 amd 4100fx cpu quad core 4gb ram.
PM
geistschatten
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: GameGuru
Posted: 8th Dec 2014 05:01
Quote: "Im just not keen on being steam reliant .. "

Me neither, I'd rather have less inconvenience for players who might not constantly play games and/or may not have/want a Steam account. It seems like just one more thing for them to have to do.

Quote: "As a side note if you want to publish your game on Steam and use the MP system that is free you just have to go through Greenlight to get your API details to be able to publish."

Does that mean that every multiplayer game we create has to pass Greenlight? What if I just wanted to make a simple LAN-hosted MP game? (Like we could do with FPSC Classic.)
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 8th Dec 2014 05:40
Rather disappointing, but oh well.Will wait till I can build standalone MP games, it is what I was hoping for.....so meh for the time being.

Win7 pro, Intel 2500K @3.7ghz 660GTX 8gig ram 16tb HDD
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,

The Next is correct, but there may be some confusion. You will only need to get a Greenlight if you intend to sell your level orgames on Steam, this is the case with all commercial Steam apps. If you just want to share a level with friends, then you will be able to do that, for free without needing to go through any approval process.

I hope that's clearer.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2014 13:13
Quote: "@3com steam is free m8"

Thanks mate.

Just a question, is there another different way to sell a game, without steam?

3com
PM
Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I guess its uncertain or perhaps not as yet if your Multi Player game levels/Games will in fact support all of the features and qualities of your single maps due to the potential file sizes, complexities and system requirements.

I have no idea what kind of level of data streaming Steam supports and how well Reloaded will be in managing that either in Multi Player mode/levels.

Presumably your Multi Player levels will need to use features, functions, qualities and content of a reduced nature so as to run efficiently across data streams. If you are expecting to run Reloaded in a massive online experience with a lot of players connected at once and at the same kind of quality as the specs you may be able to achieve in a single player stand alone game I think you will be very lucky.

System : Advent Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. Intel(R). i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz. 8.00 GB RAM DDR3. Storage : 1389 GB : 1088 GB Free (1389 GB Total). Graphics : NVIDIA GeForce GT 530. Total Available Graphics Memory : 4095 MB. Dedicated : 1024 MB. Shared : 3071 MB. Direct X10

TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2014 13:41
There are a few sites you can put your game on when done but i recommend making your own web site or get someone to make you one and do it from there that way when someone buys your game the download link will be Emailed to them ect.

Doing it this way requires you to advertise your game like mad but cuts out the middle man.

Also i am sure Steam takes a massive 30% on all sales so but one advantage is the amount of users so even if you sell your game for as little as £10 you will still get a nice return.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Or I could give you your own Game page on Reloaded Files Like Cosmic's or Similar to sell your games with your own PayPal Buttons etc

http://www.reloadedfiles.co.uk/cosmic.html

Plenty of time for that yet though I think
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2014 14:32
Quote: "Plenty of time for that yet though I think"

lol for sure lets see if it can actually make a decent map at reasonable fps

3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2014 15:52
Good idea synchromesh!, but as TattieBoJangle say, step by step.

3com
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 03:23:32
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 03:23:32