3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Medusa Pro for FPSC Launched - Rock Model Creator

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2014 16:50
We've just released version 1.03 of Medusa Pro, a rock model creator for windows, which can export text encoded X files, example fpe, preview bitmap and textures in DDS format for FPSC Reloaded. Medusa Pro can produce a huge range of rock models including boulders, crags, pillars, arches and even small caves all at the click of a button, it can also generated LODs automatically. All the rock models produced by Medusa Pro are created using real geological principles allowing you to add bedding, fractures and even folds to make your models realistic. You can also edit templates used to generate rock models and edit produced models using deformation functions such as twist, bevel, smooth and crack, and per vertex. An example of a scene created using Medusa rocks and trees from our other product Forester Pro is shown below.

A free version of Medusa is available from our website that can produce a range of randomised rocks. The registered version, which can generate custom models and allows editing is $30.

http://www.hptware.co.uk/medusa.php

Medusa models at present require specular textures to be lightened or darkened using image editing software to change specular reflections to user preferences. In the next release we will provide an option to allow modification to brightness on export. The next version of FPSC will also feature more control over specular intensity.

GrumpyOne - the natural state of the programmer

GrumpyOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2014 10:34
So we've decided to work on a feature to specify specular intensity during export of models from Medusa. This turned out to be quite easy to achieve and we have a version of Medusa in which this works...however, on importing them to FPSC we see no change in the level of specular reflections with the intensity of specular image. It looks like current version of FPSC is normalising the image. Below you can see what we mean, two identical arch models with different specular images but the same specular reflections? Puzzling.

Is there some way in fpsc of changing the specular reflections or ensuring the specular image isn't normalized?

Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2014 10:42
I noticed the same thing. I used one of the stock buildings with white spec map, black spec map and no spec map and there was no difference.
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2014 16:49
What format are you putting the texture maps into Reloaded?

I think Reloaded creates it's own DDS versions if you use anything other (PNG, JPEG etc)

Reloaded hasn't ever normalised my texture maps (as far as I know). Also, I don't think you spec map is being normalised. It looks as though it has a bump map added to it. Is the spec map not being bump mapped on export from Medusa?

Cheers

Jay.

GrumpyOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2014 15:51
Hi Unfamilia,

The texture maps are exported as DDS. The specular map is exported as a grey scale image that gives a model reflectance. The normal map contains the bump map information. Only the specular map is renormalised so you can conveniently adjust the level of reflections.

Best,
GrumpyOne

GrumpyOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2014 15:51
To celebrate the christmas season we'll give you two free tree packs with Forester Pro (Temperate Tree Pack 1 and Conifer Tree Pack 1) and two free rock packs (Mountain Rock Pack 1 and Volcanic Rock Pack 1) with Medusa Pro. These packs add new types of model that can be generated automatically.

Medusa and Forester Pro are $30 each. A free version of both applications is available.

http://www.hptware.co.uk/forester.php

unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2014 17:00
Quote: " Only the specular map is renormalised so you can conveniently adjust the level of reflections"

I don't understand why you would need to 'normalise' a spec map. I understand what a specular map is and what it's intended purpose is, but, that has nothing to do with generating height info or telling each polygon which direction they 'should' be facing when reacting to light. It's my understanding that Specularity is to help the engine determine how reflective each surface of a model should be and to add some smaller details to a texture, such as footprints or dirt and blemishes.

Are you normalising the spec map because of something to do with your program?

Cheers

Jay.

Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2014 10:14
GrumpyOne, I would have spent more than 200€ right now - untill I discovered you have only Credit-Card-based solutions to pay for your tools. Even your paypal implementation requires a paypal account.
Please ad an EPS solution as well, so that we customers can charge the shopping directly to our bank account.

AMD FX 8Core @ 4GHZ - 16 GB DDR4 - 2xRadeon7950 - Windows 7 Ultimate
GrumpyOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2015 21:09
Hi Ertlov,

You can use paypal without a paypal account, but it does require a credit card. Personally I find paypal to be excellent...not only is it a breeze to use on Steam (a relatively guilt free way of spending money), but it is also has excellent user protection. However...sure we'd like to take your money...what do you mean by EPS, not familiar with it.

Best,
Matt

GrumpyOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2015 21:10
We've just released our sixth template pack for Medusa Pro, Ice Pack 1, featuring objects for your games such as pinnacles and cliffs consisting of ice. The pack consists of five different templates that can each generate a wide range of randomised models. A scene of an icy moon, created using models generated by the templates are shown below:

The Ice Pack 1 template requires the registered version of Medusa Pro and is $10. A free version of Medusa Pro is also available from our website.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 14:16:14
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 14:16:14