Feature Creep / Would It Be Possible To Have DarkBASIC Pro Executables Running Fullscreen On Top Of The Reloaded FPS Game Screen..?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2014 21:35
Have been reading the RPG features suggestion on here and was wondering if it was possible to call DarkBASIC Pro executables fullscreen, overlaying the FPS game screen. This would allow things such as levelling up characters, shop interaction and minigames such as draughts, chess, card games and other mini-games to be played such as hacing computer terminals and doors etc.

FPS Creater Classic and Reloaded are both developed in DarkBASIC, right..? So maybe it's possible to use scripting to call other programs written in the same language..?

All you'd need to do is refresh the Reloaded screen after calling and returning from the DB Pro executable.

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 24th Nov 2014 04:31
It's certainly possible to run other applications through Lua extension plugins and I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it with DarkBASIC. That's essentially the same kind of thing I did with Omega Core and my GUI overlay for Rescue the Princess.

However, in the case of DarkBASIC as fullscreen over Reloaded, you'd just end up blocking the entire Reloaded screen in favor of the DarkBASIC screen. For both screens to be visible simultaneously, you'd need to have the DarkBASIC app use a transparent overlay window. It would also need to execute in it's own thread.

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0085
snowdog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2014 15:57
You'd need to have it fullscreen to prevent players from continuing to play the FPS/RPG whilst still in the shop/playing the mini-game/on the level up screen.

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 24th Nov 2014 18:09
Quote: "You'd need to have it fullscreen to prevent players from continuing to play the FPS/RPG whilst still in the shop/playing the mini-game/on the level up screen. "

Oh, I see. You want it to block the Reloaded game. Well, then, I think you should be able to do that just fine.

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0085
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
would need to have reloaded release the mouse etc first though, atm even if you have a game in the background it still reacts to keypresses and the mouse is locked in the center of the screen

life's one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 24th Nov 2014 19:07
You might be able to send a windows command in the extension to unlock the mouse. Not sure if it would work, but it's worth a try.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I have also considered this, but after playing around with my menu maker I am not sure you can have to full screen apps running at the same time here. Especially as DB Pro is being used for both. They interfere with each other, and cause crashes. You should be able to lock the player controls in the next update, so you won't have that problem, but with Reloaded's memory issues, I think this is being a bit over hopeful.
Don't get me wrong it's just the sort of thing I want in my games I'm a big Shenmue fan! I just don't think DB running with DB is the right way to go. However I have not TRIED to run a DB program from within Lua as yet, just from with a DB program. Just doing that, it seems to be a 50/50 chance of failing to run, so wasn't much impressed. AGK would be even less suited to this.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 07:12:29
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 07:12:29