3rd Party Models/Media Chat / What To Do When There Are Similar Models?

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2014 22:04 Edited at: 6th Nov 2014 22:07
Hi everyone, I noticed quite a lot of models being worked on are similar to ones I've been working on for some time but never completed or have yet to complete. Though this is expected and I love the work people have been doing; I was just wondering what is the general practice in this case?

Do you still release the work you are doing? Do you make sure the value isn't priced lower so you don't under cut someone? Or do you just turn a blind eye to it and continue working on your models and price them as you see fit based on the quality of them ignoring what the others may be priced at?

I'm quite new to selling models online so am just curious what people do in these cases.

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2014 22:21
What kind of models did you plan to release?

I haven't really ran into this problem, yet. I was rebuilding my Graveyard Model Pack 59, updating it for FPSCR, but than rolfy swooped in and beat me to it. I decided to scrap the project and go a different route, just because I didn't want to compete with his really well made media.

I think the polite thing to do, if your model is similar in quality, is to price near the same price. Undercutting, though it might get you more sales, can be expected and expect it to happen to you.

It's healthy to have some competition between artist, because it'll drive them to think outside the box and build more awesome media. At the same time, purposely building a similar model just to sell for way less so you take their sales is pretty buttfacish I must say.

Inmortalis Nox
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2014 22:24
Quote: " think the polite thing to do, if your model is similar in quality, is to price near the same price. Undercutting, though it might get you more sales, can be expected and expect it to happen to you.

It's healthy to have some competition between artist, because it'll drive them to think outside the box and build more awesome media"

I agree with moondog.

Dave

AMD Phenom(tm)IIx6 1090t Processor 3.20 GHS

8.00 GB memory Windows 7 64 bit

Nvida Geforce GTX 580
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2014 23:05 Edited at: 6th Nov 2014 23:24
Thanks for the feedback! I'd assume a few years from now we'll come across many similar models in the store. I guess the advantage here for the buyers is it will give them more options for what they are looking for.

Quote: "What kind of models did you plan to release?"

I had a wooden dock model laying around for over a year now but noticed many different variations already in WIP in the forums and I believe in the store already. Also was working on a payphone booth, gas station and playground set. In the attachment is an image of a dock I was working on.

I guess I'll start a thread of my work in progress that way I'll at least be able to timestamp what I'm working on. It be depressing to work on something for months and then to find someone has just uploaded something similar... and you end up quitting what you spend so long on. I guess quite similar to your grave pack situation.

Quote: "think the polite thing to do, if your model is similar in quality, is to price near the same price. Undercutting, though it might get you more sales, can be expected and expect it to happen to you."

Good advice

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2014 23:39
Lol! ....I just started a dock sculpt.

Inmortalis Nox
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 01:47 Edited at: 7th Nov 2014 01:56
JLMoondog I think you should still continue the reload grave yard version. I myself never bought that for fpsc. but know that the map is bigger i would like to buy more models like that. your style is different compare to the one we got with reload. two of the same models are not the same style. I hope more modellers redo most of their outside models they did for fpsc. also no one has not did a dock with a roof on it.like a fishing dock. A price cut for the reload version of the grave pack and other pack that was made for fpsc that is outside model packs would be good. but being your grave yard pack was already cheap i see don't much of a cut needed. I avoid most of the outside packs because of the small map in fpsc. plus the more popular reload becomes there will be people who never own fpsc and never bought any of the packs for fpsc. but for those who do maybe you guys could add some bonus models in the help the packs get a resale value. I myself would re buy some of these packs then taking the time to making them reload ready. like bsp pack 69 if he was to redo that pack for reload I would buy it. pack 76 and 66 should get a reload version as well. but like said there will be new developers coming to reload when 109 is release and more buyers that want to get cheap models on hand.once reload is out of beta the popularity for reload will be high. i think most developers like me are holding back on buying new models for reload until the big 109 beta. so I think any models that is in plan for reload would not be a waste of time and should not get scrap yet. also modellers should check the Media Request Thread. this can help modellers see what they should work on next and what is in high demand.

more than what meets the eye.Welcome to SciFi Summer

gtx770 sc acx 2gb gpu boost 2.0

Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 04:33
I think variety is better. If someone wants docks in their game, for example, they do not necessarily want exactly the same dock repeated over and over - they may want a variety of docks. As far as pricing goes, for me it's pretty much guesswork in these early days of the store. I have a few models that I'd like to add but similar models in the store are priced much higher than I'd like to charge, but I also don't want to undercut the existing models too much, so I'll just hang on to the models for now.
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 07:45 Edited at: 7th Nov 2014 07:51
if someone could make a dock like model pack 76 for reload that would be the best way to go. releasing one part of a theme is a bad idea. a complete dock pack would sell better. as a buyer that is one thing I hate. when a modeller release part one of a theme like a scifi theme it leaves the buyer with one or a few parts short of that theme. this what makes the model packs so great. because you can have a complete them of those models. i am the type of buyer that will what to see if that artist will do more or leave their models hanging with missing parts. some model you can get a way with this like a car. but because the store still lack a full of theme models a complete set of that model would be needed. plus since most artist here have different styles of models it would be easy if the that artist make a complete set of that theme. i think packs sell better in the store then just a standalone models. but my point is that if one of you guys are going to release a dock then you should make a pack out of it like model pack 76. releasing that one model does not complete anything and would make less sells because the buyers would not see no need for it.unless the buyer have models of a dock theme and only thing they was missing is that dock bridge for their boat then I can see a sell for it. but if not it would be like selling an airplane without the airport or the airport without the runway.

more than what meets the eye.Welcome to SciFi Summer

gtx770 sc acx 2gb gpu boost 2.0

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 09:58
I have an exhibition at 3,30 AM today but I rather procrastinate on the forums

Quote: "I was just wondering what is the general practice in this case?
"

Respect the other artist. Having similar models from different artists offers a lot of variation in different style for the customer to chose from. Just take a look at what the other artists with similar models are charging and ask a similar price. You'd get a bad reputation if you start undermining the already low costs. I only charge 60 points for my old solar panels because there are other solar-panels on the store. Otherwise it'd be 30 points.

Quote: "Do you make sure the value isn't priced lower so you don't under cut someone? "

Absolutely, however, you also have to compare the quality of your models! If someone made an ultra lowpoly 1999 style wooden dock and sells it for 20 points, but you made a next gen version of the same concept, you have to charge more.

I'd say the best way to be save is having a distinct style that translates even upon your simplest models and make sure to model themes and items no one else is working on or just have a fresh take on something that is already available. We're all just having fun here, so take it easy

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"

"absurdity has become necessity"

79% Sale on my latest Scifi Modelpack. Get it here!
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
I think the general rule here is variation, even on a theme is good. Of the examples here, graveyards and docks are very different places, so if that's what you're working on, carry on, users will buy the model they feel suits their level design the most, and some artist styles may suit more than others.

Regarding pricing, we don't strictly control prices and more or less leave it to the individual artist, but as a rule of thumb, be polite. Use other artists work that is similar to yours as a guide. If any artist wants some advice on how much to charge for a model feel free to email me, and I'm happy to give some pointers based on current store experiences.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
TazMan
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2014 11:49
I have also come across this when someone puts an item up that is very similar to what you want to put in the store, but so far what I wanted to do was just in the idea phase. I think I will still go ahead with the ideas, because It is good to have competition and as others have said each piece of work would be different enough to allow the customers to choose which models to go for.

@Teabone the dock that you have showed us in this thread looks good, there is no reason that you could not put this in the store, give people some variety.

I've got something to say - It's better to burn out than fade away. God is a kid with an ant farm, he has no plans. A cure for Agoraphobia is just around the corner.

smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
im not a modeller so take my opinion as you wish but i don't see it really matters and would be a shame to waste your work just because someone else has done something similar.. you could maybe see if you can add some distinguishing feature to your item to make it stand out from the others (after all even something like a crate still has many variations because having multiples of the exact same object isn't generally a good thing)

as for price well i agree with SC and the others, use your own valuation and the values already on the store and see what feels right for you, if it sells then it's all good right? 1 person can't make everything so even if you do happen to make something cheaper or more expensive then what is already available it's not the end of the world, that's how shopping is, there would only be one shop if the price was the same everywhere... let the customers decide.

life's one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 07:18:45
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 07:18:45