Feature Creep / Global scripts

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 20:25
I know we already have a "global script", but when FPSC:R includes more than 1 level in a game I foresee challenges regarding scripts collaborating between levels.

For this reason I'd like to suggest an in-editor way of specifying one or more scripts for the level to maintain at all times. Creating entities and making them always active is our only current means of doing something like this, and to be frank it's not only a bit of a hassle but it's clearly a workaround. I hope we can work past this obstacle by providing a way to give each level their own global script(s), perhaps through a "Level Properties" or "Level Scripts" where the user can browse for and add scripts from the bank into a list. When the level is run by the engine, these scripts will auto-execute as they would from an always active entity.

Doing this would provide us with an easy method of creating cross-level scripts and prevent us from having to create an additional entity that would increase render/process time per frame (no matter how small it may be).

~Plystire

I'm sure there's already a thread about it somewhere, if a link could be provided, I will post there.
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 21:03
I also thought about this and thought it would be good to be able to assign scripts to the player so that the scripts are always on and will follow the player and hold any variable values they had such as exp and cash and such between levels

PC Specs: Windows 7 home 64-bit, Amd 7900 3gb DDR5 graphics, 8gb DDR3 Ram, Intel i7 3.4ghz
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2014 20:17 Edited at: 19th Dec 2014 20:19
I hope this is being thought through properly. As I too can see many challenges and problems once we start getting multi-level support. I don't really want to experience the same difficulties in FPSC-Classic with multi-levels.

I wish Reloaded was better organized. You create a game and then you create maps within your game and you can easily jump to each level within your game. With a created game you get some type of file like an FPE kind of situation where you can set global scripts that all the levels would be able to read and write from within your one game.

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
shakyshawn8151
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2014 06:28
Yes this is a must, we have a world that may need to have 6+ maps on it, and without a script that allows carry over there really isn't a point in trying to make a game, unless we want to recreate something dated around 2002. Var's need to be carried over. for sure 100%. Might not be hard tho, if we put all the maps into one folder and somehow started up a master game which had all the levels and started at level 1 and pre-loaded level 2 and then when the player starts level 2 it sends specific variable's from scripts. In fact it would just be easier if we had more control over the maps and editor, we should be able to start a map with miles and miles of terrain, sure it would have a low fps but there are ways to optimize.

CPU; Intel G850 2.9ghz GPU: Raedon HD 7750 1gb 4GB Ram

Windows 10 1TB HD 60GB HD

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 22:36:25
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 22:36:25