Product Chat / Large Entities don't stack on top of eachother

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello
I cant seem to make entities larger than a segment stack on top of one another without using the pgup, pgdn keys.

Is there an option i can put into my .fpe files to make large entities stack-able?
Is there also an option to make entities ignore being level to the terrain they are on?

I am able to stack smaller entities on top of one another fine.
Thanks.
PM
Bisella
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 08:49
For now, the user must use pgup and pgdw. This is a problem I found also in the objects created by TGC.
The objects are automatically positioned one above the other only if they are filled solids, for example a cube.
I sincerely hope that this problem will be solved as soon as possible and it is added snap in height. A good reference point for the positioning of objects is axisgamefacory. Objects behave in an intelligent and understand where they need to be placed
Forgive my English

The software I use? ... Autocad, sketchup, Spazio3D, pconplanner, Kerkythea, wing3d, paint.net.
PM
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

We will be making additional changes to the editor and are looking at improving this feature. As stated, for now, you'll need to use page up/down to raise and lower an entity. Once an object has been raised high enough, you can press enter to align it with another object.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 11:50
Quote: "Once an object has been raised high enough, you can press enter to align it with another object."

This actually doesn't work with large objects. I am making some models for another forum user, which are 5 units wide and 2 units high. That's one of the small ones! I was struggling to get these to position next to each other properly, to no avail. I had to go back to Blender and make 5 variations of each model each with their origin point lowered by one unit at a time. Now, I have 40-50 models, instead the 10 I was originally supposed to make; but, they now stack properly.

Cheers

Jay.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "This actually doesn't work with large objects."

This is possibly a problem with custom media, but that does need investigating if that's the case.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 15:57
I can send the models over if it would help?

Obviously, they are for a client (another forum member) who is paying for them, so, they can only be used for the purposes of testing this issue.

I know you already know that, but, I still feel the need to put it! Always have to protect other peoples media.

Cheers

Jay.

Parallax
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "automatically positioned one above the other only if they are filled solids, for example a cube. "

My object is a filled solid and does not stack. The TGC wall models also do not stack.

Quote: "This is possibly a problem with custom media, but that does need investigating if that's the case."

I don't think its a problem with custom media because you can recreate the same troubles with TGC's stock media. (not that any of TGC's large entities were intended to be stacked on one another.) I think its an issue that was created when someone tried to make it easy for users to place small entities inside buildings. Entities that are larger than 1 segment ignore the automatic stacking system in FPSCR.
PM
TazMan
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2014 11:03
I had a problem with this so played around with the models and the position they were in within Max. In the end I found that if I put the Corner of the item dead center of the editor, the model would stack on top of each other. Obviously you had to place each model carefully but it did work.

I was having this problem with my modular School but solved it using this method.

Hope this helps.

I've got something to say - It's better to burn out than fade away. God is a kid with an ant farm, he has no plans. A cure for Agoraphobia is just around the corner.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2014 21:14
I've added this bug as an item in the latest task list. Although you can raise an entity high enough to then press RETURN, from personal experience it's a slow and tedious process, especially if a lot of stacking is required!!

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2014 11:58
A nice option might be to bring back the page up and page down, to move up or down one FPSC segment? It would make it easier for making buildings that are stacks of rooms one segment tall.

Cheers

Jay.

3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2014 16:26
Sometimes it is really difficult to select an entity, especially if the entity is inside a building.
I'm working on a house at the entrance to the house I placed a ladder, now happens that this ladder is a little recessed in the ceiling and I can not select it, I put the mouse on top of the ladder and reloaded select everything but the stairs; I finally had to disassemble the whole house in order to select the steps and correct their position.
I think that list all the entities you have on a map in a ListBox might help, so you can more easily select any entity.
It's just an idea.

3com
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2014 16:39
Quote: "I think that list all the entities you have on a map in a ListBox might help, so you can more easily select any entity."

Excellent idea! Or at the very least, if we could select an entity and tab to scroll through them (entities' names are already at the bottom in task bar) would be an improvement. Selecting entities can be a pain.

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2014 23:20
In the new V1.009 public beta widget, you can select an entity and choose LOCK which will exclude it from further mouse detection, which means you can manipulate smaller finer details inside your buildings.

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2014 14:06
Sounds good. will we be able to unlock items from a list?

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 4gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2014 17:45
I've readed that before and it sound pretty useful, anyway I've the same Mike's question.

3com
PM
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2014 04:08
i posted a request in feature creep a while back to have a hierarchy tree of all the entities in the scene to make selection easier, as in unity, i did have a picture but photobuckets down atm

PC Specs: Windows 7 home 64-bit, Amd 7900 3gb DDR5 graphics, 8gb DDR3 Ram, Intel i7 3.4ghz
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2014 17:26
I've never been a fan of an entity tree that represents the whole level, but if the majority wants this then I can certainly sort it out for you. Will be after the Steam launch though as part of the feature creep for IDE extras.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 11:24:14
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 11:24:14