Feature Creep / Global LUA variables for both reading and setting of engine variables

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 18:29
This may be a wishlist, but I feel that I have to at least mention the idea. I'm sure some implementation of this must be possible, but I believe direct access to internal variables to allow both reading and writing of engine variables would be greatly beneficial to the development of very diverse games. This is including but certainly not limited to:
- Player position and angle (for direct control of world values)
- Player physics values (for physical control of player, makes for better dynamic movement through script)
- Player weapon inventory array, as well as ammo reserve and ammo currently loaded into weapon (include engine check for spontaneous arrival of new weapons or the disappearance of current weapons, including the currently held weapon. Include handling for unequip of current weapon and/or equipping of new arrival on empty inventory)
- Global/Local Gravity. Global effects all objects that do not use local gravity (specified through script). Allow decimal value for this, with 1.0 being "normal" gravity.

I put a lot of thought into this request, and I think these small additions would open numerous doors for the potential of FPSC:R.

Example lines:

Obviously the above is very simple, just to get the syntax down. But if we had access to these internal variables, we could use LUA pretty much to our full disposal, and it wouldn't be things as simple as I demonstrated above. We can easily use LUA to create a perfectly angled water current, or air gusts that may even lift the player off the ground! There's just so much potential with such direct access (especially if the engine can take a bit of error checking burden off the scripters, obviously ifying a weapon inventory slot out of the blue like that would be bad with direct access lol)

I haven't seen any mention of HUDs or images rendered to screen of any kind, besides Prompt. I don't know if these are already planned, but they seem almost too crucial to overlook, which is why I haven't mentioned them above since I'm sure the team has some stance on the matter. Though I do consider HUD images to be one of the topics of easy access that this thread is about. I would like to hear thoughts regarding some kind of HUD system. Perhaps we're moving ahead from simple sprites and trying for a new system like the other engines? I'm sure there's already a thread about it somewhere, if a link could be provided, I will post there.

~Plystire
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree, I think this would open up a lot of possibilities. The work list is currently jam packed with planned features and our main focus is still performance but you never know, as additional LUA scripting is always on the cards.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 16:41
Thanks, SC. I think if performance is their focus, it's all the more reason to make this happen sooner. The longer this capability is in the hands of the users, the sooner we can find the limits of the engine, right?

~Plystire

I'm sure there's already a thread about it somewhere, if a link could be provided, I will post there.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2014 16:17 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2014 10:03
We're at the end of this round of performance work, and are happy with the 100-150% increase on full settings. More to do, but we're confident to move onto other things for now.

Lee sent me a list of some new LUA commands today, so we are are already expanding on them. Your request has also gone onto an internal list and I'm going through the feature creep today to compile a full list of requests.. So you wishes might come true after all .

SC

tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Oct 2014 15:02
Quote: "Lee sent me a list some new LUA commands today,"

Any chance that list was the one I sent Lee per his request a while back?

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0085
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2014 10:06 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2014 10:07
Quote: "Any chance that list was the one I sent Lee per his request a while back?"

I don't know what list you sent Lee, but the 'teaser' for the new commands has been added to the end of the first post on this thread. This isn't complete, and chances are that more commands will be added before the next beta.

http://fpscrforum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208970&b=2

SC

TheHartPony
Years of Service
User Offline
I would also like to see some physics option to reduce the angle of which characters (or at least player) can climb mountains...
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I would also like to see some physics option to reduce the angle of which characters (or at least player) can climb mountains... "

been around for quite some time now, set the properties in the start marker you place on the level (can't remember the name but it's "angle" or something like that i think)

life's one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 01:05:12
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 01:05:12