Feature Creep / Texture painting

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2014 23:25
Hi i am wondering if it would be possible to have it so we can use our own textures for painting the terrain i know it can be done just now and it works great but it means swapping out reloaded textures for our own. At the moment we only have paint ground and paint rock can it be made so we drop our textures into the folder and instead of the 2 images ground and rock it would be a drop down menu with our different textures like lava, snow, sand, dirt, mud, stone, ice thanks.

PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 - 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 6GB GPU - 32GB DDR3 MEM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Agreed .....Ideally that would be better
PM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
oh yeah that be awesome help .. i did experiment with changing textures but losing reloaded 1s for new was abit rude lol, would be nce to have a list like the veg..

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 quad core 4gb ram.
PM
Go Devils
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2014 07:03
I would think that in the end we must have access to at least five each of rock and ground textures through the editor. I play around some with Tranz Simulator and it's terrain editor has the choice of dozens of paint-able textures.

"There is no spoon"
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2014 07:09
Yep. Its one thing I currently have a problem with Reloaded. The limited textures allowed on a single level. In the future if we were to make this boundless we wouldn't need to select grass, snow or etc. We could select from a panel of textures to paint with. I would personally love that. But I think we are stuck with the how-ever many limited variations of one single group of textures.

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
I've moved this to feature creep as it' really a suggestion, but we are looking at some new techniques that may allow just this, and also help improve performance at the same time.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
we need multi textures on terrain, i wanted to make a semi open world game where snow grass and desert and possibly volcanic terrains was on the same map, without the use of entities to be used to simulate these.. like snow on the mountains leading to a green hills and plains leading to a desert area sort of thing.. then we need the rock and paths and grass aswell separate from these i would guess?!.

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 quad core 4gb ram.
PM
Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
This has been asked for a long, long while ago when the ability to paint on terrain at all was first possible and the limitations became apparent.

What we really need is a "visual" thumbnail choice of texture ability and ideally being able to choose to swap out a texture for another - any other - texture from hard disk location by direct access to a computer texture folders. i.e. to easily find and swap "any" painting textures for any level so that each level can use different ones and to the number and variety of permutations of individual level environments visually.

Same applies to other world objects in addition to Terrains that game makers should have the ability to easily change/swop textures on if not paint though the end result may be similar. i.e. change texture, materials and so on and be able to manage that internally. A pro system may have a texture/materials editor and so on though such things are expecting/asking a bit much given that at the moment we are not much further forward than a basic game making product with current features themselves needing updating to a more completed end user condition which is what is being asked for.

As others have done I am sure I had looked early at how users could possibly enhance the current scenes by attempting to creative use the limited feature we have and with effort one can probably achieve something a little better than what the default may provide by new texture design and level design use in applying them. At the end of the day though the limit is the limit and simply not enough to provide much more variety visually than it imposes.

Attached is a screen shot I output a long while back which attempts to show a range of terrain height levels as it were by placing snow on the hill tops and different textures on lower terrain. With variations in use of hard edged and overlay of textures and transparency effects one can seemingly extend the apparent number of textures somewhat though all graduations are of course limited to the same small number of textures. You just don't have enough for most levels varied requirement.

A few more would not go amiss and would be very helpful in users making much better looking levels both constructively (terrain features) and visually.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 04:29:40
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 04:29:40