Product Chat / entity impoter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was wondering when was the entity importer added I pressed f2 and this come up import new entity

gamemaker
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 14:29
Hmmm.... I don't know either but it seems to work well. No problem selecting an X file from Classic and the entity was imported correctly. The problem now is that I cannot return to Reloaded as it throws an error saying that "First person interface has stopped working".

If my post seems rude or stupid, don't be offended. It's just a failed attempt at humor.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 14:35
Yeah its still not 100% yet..... Not sure it was meant to be in the release

PC Specs: Windows 7 home 64-bit, Amd 7900 3gb DDR5 graphics, 8gb DDR3 Ram, Intel i7 3.4ghz
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 14:40
only outputs .dbo files for the moment. Hope that changes.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 4gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Not widely publicized as it is still wip. But it works for me beyond an an issue with it setting a non existent script by default.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 15:13
In the latest internal build the Importer is now located in the FILE menu and we don't have the crash when you leave the importer area so I think this one is fixed. We only intended to export as DBO as this is the fastest to reload and makes your exports proprietary if you then wanted to make available as exclusive Reloaded assets. What other formats did you want the importer to export as, and why?

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 19:28
this is brilliant.

AMD 9850 black, 6 gigs ram, GTX 260 Win 8.1 x64

PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 23:00
At least the xfile, as clearing .dbo files and bin files using any automatic version would tend to erase this format, leaving one to go thru reimporting the same files multiple times. I am looking at this tool to set collision properly for assets that are on sale in the store. I don't think I would have a warm feeling about buying a file that can be erased so easily with the current file cleaners available.

I can forgo this attitude if there will be another way I can include this collision data in the FPE file for custom models.

I know its early and I have not played with the importer in a couple of weeks for this reason. But in making stuff for the engine there is always a lot of clearing the .dbo and .bin files to ensure that it is working proper in reloaded.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 4gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 23:33 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2014 23:34
I am the same as you Pirate Myke i use a bat file to remove dbo & bin files when modelling and testing in reloaded so could be a bit of a pain.

Also say you want to go back and edit a little bit of the model after you import it well its hard enough to get programs to open .x files never mind .dbo

PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 - 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 6GB GPU - 32GB DDR3 MEM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2014 02:29 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2014 03:10
Dbo files are deleted and replaced now when any changes are made to the model .x externally (date/time relevant) so I see no need to be deleting these manually anymore. The only reason to delete bin files is if changes are made to the texture or shader paths in the .fpe, so again I see no reason to be mass deleting these.

If you want to use the entity importer there is nothing stopping you from exporting to the same folder containing the original .x (or if you prefer, moving the .x to whichever folder you export to) so again see no reason to worry about deletion of dbo.

If the exported .fpe file references whatever.dbo simply change it to whatever.x to take advantage of the fact that Reloaded now automatically deletes and replaces the dbo when changes are made to the model externally. I would rather do this than continually be re-importing and exporting again and again.

It is a myth that changes to textures requires deletion of bin files, they only need deleted if the texture file name or path is changed. To see any changes does require a restart of Reloaded but not deletion of any files. This goes for both texture and model alterations.

Of course iit may require deletion of bin in the future as some fields become active from the .fpe to the editor and it might be something for TGC to look at is the same method of auto replacement for .bin as .dbo has now if any changes are made to the .fpe.

Maybe I am missing something here but don't see what the issue is. Why would you want .x export when you already have the .x you imported? It's not as if the .x is overwritten or deleted in any way.

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2014 06:54
Maybe you are right as the collision data is written in the fpe file only that I can see. Not sure if this is written in the dbo file as it is still new and I would have no way of checking that anyway. I guess if the dbo files are being updated per a restart of reloaded then mass deleting them would be a waste of time. Just an old habit.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2014 14:48 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2014 14:51
Yeah I hear you it has always been recommended to delete ALL dbo and bin files after any changes which to me was overkill. They even provided a batch tool for this.

It is a new feature that any changes to model .x will auto replace the associated dbo, it is something requested by many modelers, it would be even better if you didn't have to close out Reloaded for changes to take effect but better than it was.

Same with texture changes, you still have to close out for changes to show as the texture appears to be held in memory after the object is placed.

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2014 14:58
Again i didn't know about this :/ so thanks for the info rolfy and as myke said when you get into a habit of doing something

PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 - 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 6GB GPU - 32GB DDR3 MEM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 18:20:33
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 18:20:33