Product Chat / FPE Maker ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 11:49 Edited at: 1st Oct 2014 12:46
Hi guys is there anyone who will be making an fpe maker i am looking for something where it would batch make them so it would take the name of the .x file

and make the fpe. i know its easy but would save me alot of time also would be willing to pay for it.

desc = name.x

model =name.x

PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 - 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 6GB GPU - 32GB DDR3 MEM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol, glad you know it is easy. Of course if it is, then why are you asking for it? Perhaps you mean it is easy for people who know how to do it, which of course is true for almost anything, bar quantum physics
I'll have a look when I get chance. Although I don't find this sort of thing that easy myself, as it is the sort of code I always have avoided due to it's incredibly interesting nature. I just hate doing string based code and really only need it for hi score stuff normally. Someone who has had this drummed into them at college however, may find it a simple job. I just skipped those parts of the manual when I taught myself.
I'll let you know if I have any luck.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 13:11 Edited at: 1st Oct 2014 13:17
when i say its easy i mean it is easy to make an fpe but the time it would save if you had a program to batch make the fpe files from your .x files

PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 - 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 6GB GPU - 32GB DDR3 MEM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 13:33
It would help when buying packs from stores other than tgc and would be useful for old x9 x10 stuff for example i have a veg pack and it comes with over 200 entity's so as you can imagine it takes a while to make all they fpe files :/

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 13:34 Edited at: 1st Oct 2014 13:38
Quote: "desc = name.x

model =name.x"

Are you saying that you don't want to take three-point-five seconds to change those two values in a template .fpe file and rename it, or do you need the program to do something else?

It's just seems like a total waste of time to take an hour or two to write a program that will save one person a few seconds when he could just use a template and change a few values just as fast. I wouldn't be opposed to making something useful.

EDIT: Okay, just reread your last post and understand that it would be for the conversion of previous model packs. It's something to think about, but still seems like too much work for a very limited use. Perhaps it could be part of a larger utility?

Brian.

If my post seems rude or stupid, don't be offended. It's just a failed attempt at humor.
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 13:40
Quote: "three-point-five seconds to change those two values"

for over 200 entity's just from one pack and thousands more ? would take a little more than 3.5 seconds but thanks for your input.

Quote: "a program that will save one person a few seconds"

I wont be the only one buying stuff from other sites so perhaps more than one person would like this.

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
would be helpful for doing the tgc older packs and such, i have a few of those outside the packs golds got given when pledging was slowly collecting them up that was useful.. so yeah if it came with a tut for converting also that be abig help lol XD.. as i haven't tried it yet with any that i have because there is so many to do and im not sure how to lol.. probably take me longer than 3.5 seconds to find the fpe each time in the folders lol let alone changing stuff ;p

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 quad core 4gb ram.
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 13:51
You'd have to do shader maps anyway for any decent results...

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"

"absurdity has become necessity"
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 13:58
yea it can be a pain as i have used different engines and reloaded seems to be the only one that requires fpe for your models to even work apart from x9 x10 i understand this isn't something for people who only use the store but would be nice for the users who buy packs from other places was just an idea anyway to save time

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 14:15
Let me see if I can make anything worthwhile....

If my post seems rude or stupid, don't be offended. It's just a failed attempt at humor.
PM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
well if it saves time its a good thing

here is a screenshot of some zombies i was hoping to use later on from older tgc pack.. they don't move or anything but look fairly ok, better than some ive seen in games that are still being made today for example 7days2die still in beta their not the best but its not always about looks to have fun making something nor playing it so..
[img][/img]

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 quad core 4gb ram.
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 14:20
@xplosys thanks m8 dosn't need to be anything special as long as it takes the .x file name and places it to

desc = name.x
model =name.x

the texture is fine if left blank it will work from the file its self.

[IMG]http://i4
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah, I see. Yeah making a program to do this automatically is a touch harder lol. Had a quick look since my first post, but I see issues already, to do this properly would be quite difficult. It's not just saving a new fpe file with a new name. It's changing the fpe details inside to suit, model name, texture, collision? etc. Definitely not a quick job, also, not really possible to make it completely automatic, without the files being in some sort of order to begin with.

Other than that you would have to still go through each fpe file and alter each to suit anyway. So probably easy to generate basic fpe's from model names, but they would all need to be edited anyway to include the correct info needed.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 15:53 Edited at: 1st Oct 2014 15:55
We are working on a batch convertor. There's an alpha version available, but it has a couple of bugs. I'm hoping to get back to fixing those this week.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 16:00
Hi Scene yea i seen that after today's news and it sounds great but it doesn't run on my computer error log

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: batchconverter.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4d460aea
Fault Module Name: StackHash_5861
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: PCH_23_FROM_ntdll+0x0003D2EC
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 2057

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 17:03
I guess the converter would also need to copy over all the related files/structure to a temp folder?

PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
What? There's already a tool for this?! Lol, ah well. I have got a little further with my tests, I had gone down a wrong approach for this, starting to break the fpe down to letters and words. Not needed, thankfully as I was thinking I have a lot of data now what to do with it? lol. Taking a slightly simpler approach I am back on track, but am wondering how you would want me to treat say the texture name. I could set it to the same as the model name perhaps, although many models don't use the same name of course. Not got round to scanning a folder yet and am using dummy names for now, but should be easy enough to add once the main fpe sorting is finished.

Also, to make it clear, you want a program to create new fpe's rather than alter existing ones?

Xplosis, looks like we are both looking at this Not sure I will get it going yet, although I'm fairly confident, so good someone else is looking also.

TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 18:15
hi guys yea if you leave the texture blank as i can get the .x file to handle that and the collisionmode = 0 i can always go back when using the models and change that in the editor yea i need it to create new fpe files.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 18:23 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2014 14:35
Creating the new FPE's is simple as there are very few differences really, but unless the program actually copies and places the related files, it's not really a time saver because you have to look at the old FPE to get their locations and copy them over. There are issues like... in Classic there are x files in meshbank and textures in texturebank, but neither of these folders exist in my Reloaded Files folder. These lines have to be parsed and the corresponding files copied to the correct location. Which is why I'm thing a temp location so as not to overwrite anything. Sometimes I just can't think far enough ahead.

EDIT: I'm going to hold on this and go back to working on my POS Application until I get more input or I figure out the best way to proceed.

PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 18:54
Well when you buy a pack you get all the .x files in one folder so could it just detect all .x files in the folder you point it to and output the fpe files to the same folder?

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 19:37
That would overwrite the existing FPE files, and the pack would no longer work in Classic. The program would need to create a new pack folder and correct any file/folder naming issues between Classic and Reloaded. I'll continue in that direction, hopefully making the new pack folder a "drop-in" for the entitybank folder in Reloaded.

Now I have to find out about image types "Classic vs. Reloaded" and see if that's going to be an issue.

PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 20:11
Thanks xplosys

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 21:31 Edited at: 1st Oct 2014 21:35
Please give this a run and see what it does for you. I still need to carry over the associated files but the FPE creation seems quite stable. I need input because every computer is different and everyone does things differently. Please advise if the FPE's actually work and what needs to be changed/added for what you want to do.

The interface should be self explanatory.

Click Select Folder and locate the folder of FPE's you want to convert.

All FPE's in the folder will appear in the list and be selected by default. Deselect any you don't want to convert.

The check all/uncheck all buttons just make it easier if you're working with a selected number of files.

When ready click convert. The App will create a folder on the Desktop with all the new FPE's in it.

App Attached...

Brian.

PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 21:49
It works great Brian i have tested with x9 and x10

Is there anyway your software can see .x files in a folder then create fpe files using the .x names

so say you had a .x file called room1.x it would create a fpe all i need is it to create an fpe with the 2 fields changed desc & model

;header
desc = room1

;visualinfo
textured =
effect = effectbank\reloaded\entity_basic.fx
castshadow = 0
transparency =
cullmode = 1

;orientation
model = room1.X
offx = 0
offy = 0
offz = 0
rotx = 0
roty = 0
rotz = 0
scale =
defaultstatic = 1
materialindex =
collisionmode = 0
autoflatten =

;statistics
strength = 25
explodable = 0
debrisshape = 1

;ai
aiinit = appear.lua
aimain = default.lua
aidestroy = disappear.lua

;spawn
spawnmax = 0
spawndelay = 0
spawnqty = 0

Would this be possible ?

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 22:01
Quote: "Is there anyway your software can see .x files in a folder then create fpe files using the .x names "

So far, it's been able to see whatever I tell it to see so I would say .... Yes!
Would this be an option in the App or do you want to change the App? Are there any other info values you might want to add?

PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 22:22
Great yea just the way the fpe is above apart from the 2 names the software will change if you can make it an option great if not just another version of the app will do just as good. If you pm me your paypal of anything i can sort you out or if you play steam i can gift you a game of your liking

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 23:34 Edited at: 1st Oct 2014 23:36
Ah, seems I took too long, lol. Made a program to convert them, just not as pretty as the above one menu wise. Works fine though. I worked on the basis you copied the files manually to an import folder. Run the exe and it auto converts all the x files it finds to fpe's, with the same name, including edited description, model and texture values, again all the same name to an export folder.

I used AGK, so not the best language to do it. It lists the number of files in total, and the number of files actually converted to fpe's and a list of the models and textures set in each fpe. There's no checking files for conversion, it just converts x files, ignoring all others.

I'll include it anyway, but the one xplosys has made looks a bit nicer by the looks.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 00:07
Both work great guys i cant thank you enough!

TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 00:29
This is the fpe that i would like it to create each time if possible but with the name of the .x files

desc =
model =

Attachments

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 00:45 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2014 00:54
Updated app attached. Same as before except select operation first. Convert or create from X.

Checking out DVader's app now....

Excellent and functional app, DVader. I'm more of a Windows developer and my anal streak for flow and symmetry often slows me down. I do enjoy it though.

Brian.

Attachments

PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 00:53
Many thanks xplosys again works great!

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 00:56 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2014 02:33
Here you go this should work. Tested it out and seems to work okay that I could see. Be interesting to see how it copes with loads of objects.

This version saves FPE\'s with no texture name as you requested. Glad you liked it. I\'m so used to dragging and dropping stuff about within windows, setting it up so you drop stuff into a folder is a normal instinct for me. I tend to work faster within Windows than in a programs own file selector personally. I\'ve always got several windows up where I need em, and switch around as needed.

Edit - @xplosys, yours looks neater, making it look like that in AGK would be a bit of a task, as I would have to manually make the file menu with sprites and text. Basically all from scratch. AGK is designed to make basic games and apps and has no menu functions at all out the box, so that alone would be a bit of a job. Still, as you say it does the job. What language are you using out of interest? Visual Basic/Studio, or some other language? It\'s definitely less bloaty than AGK by the looks. Though my code is about 80 odd lines, the exe is 2mb.

Edit - fixed bug in fpe file. Re-uploaded the file.

Attachments

TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 01:05 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2014 01:18
Again thank you guys! i know a few people including myself of course who will get alot of use out of this.

Both handle over 100 .x files in seconds

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 01:24
@TattieBoJangle,

You're very welcome! It's nice to have the time to do something I enjoy again. If anyone else would like to make changes or additions for their use, let me know.

@DVader,

Yes, Visual Basic 2010, though I do have 2013 I like 2010
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 01:59
Well as you can see making fpe files for 88 models would normally take ages but thanks to you guys its now seconds

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah yes Visual Basic is way better for this kind of thing. Designed to make apps of this nature of course. Glad I got you thinking on ways to make your app easier to use Not sure AGK could simulate dragging into the app, interesting to see, but I imagine not. Good luck with your efforts!

@ Tattie, glad it works nice and fast. It would be faster still without the small anim on the main window when it first loads, lol. The max number of objects I allowed for was 10,000, which I thought quite high enough lol. Probably could have made it unlimited, but not really much point, lol. Not sure if it would handle that many very well though

unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 08:49
Where's the 'like' button?!

I love to see this in the community. Everyone helping each other. DVader and Xplosys, you guys rock.

I might not be using Reloaded as often these days, but, I always come back to the forums and read everyday; purely for the community!

Cheers

Jay.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds like mine is now redundant..

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 22:36
It certainly isn't for the timely beta releases Thanks for your patience, I think you will approve of the wait when I finally release V1.0091.

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I wouldn't say that Scene Commander, unless it only makes new FPE files. This is all these programs do. They don't convert files or such. Just make fresh FPE files from .x objects to make importing into Reloaded that much faster. Although I tend to make a model and then convert it to test how it looks, so my own program is unlikely to help me out much, lol. I always test several times in Reloaded before I have even finished the 3d object.

Hey, and at least it gave me an excuse to brush the dust of AGK lol!

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2014 14:54
Yeah, what would be really worthy would be an entity converter (not just an FPE writer) where one could select entities from Classic and have them made Reloaded ready, all assets considered.

Brian.

PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2014 22:56
Too later damm
This is the sort of thinghs that I know to do. I'm loving Visual Basic since VB 3.0.
I've Visual studio 2010 and as DVader say is a better way.

As I said before, there are a very nice stuff on board, this is one reazon for me stay here, aside of Reloaded itself, of course.

3com
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2014 23:07
Agreed it is one of the best community around in my opinion and keeps bringing me back

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2014 00:58
You're all making me kinda misty-eyed!

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been trying to improve my app a little, but have found some limitations of AGK I can't work around as yet. I have however got it working faster, from 0.2 seconds down to 0.08 seconds, when converting 45 objects and checking 215 files. I've made it look a little nicer with file conversion info and a clock, also added a bing when it is complete. Still not pretty, but still better. I'll probably post it later today or tomorrow. Just got to tidy it a little and remove the 2 features that won't work

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2014 16:40
Quote: "and remove the 2 features that won't work"

LOL

I looked into the drag-drop aspect of my version and it was very simple to do. I decided not to rewrite it however as it seems to have very little purpose/user-base. If I get bored again I may look into a model wizard (make Reloaded-Ready model from X). Of course the user would need to provide a basic texture but the rest I believe I could do. The only issue may be the normal map, but I could probably find a plug-in or third-party app to integrate for that.

Then again, I'm sure TGC will have one done by the time I get around to it.

Brian.

PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2014 17:21 Edited at: 5th Oct 2014 17:26
I know this won't have many people using it, but I just wanted to make it more complete. I'm sure you understand the urge Plus I wanted to try out a new thing, the donate button Just to see if I could get it working. Without rewriting it for another language, the 2 other features won't work ,nothing much, just a way to automatically open the necessary folders, which would be handy.

Here's the latest version. In case anyone feels the need to use it

Edit - I looked into making normal maps, and quickly walked away ,lol. Copying the x files and such would be easy enough. Making normal and spec maps though, not so, much lol.

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 00:05:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 00:05:47