Product Chat / Reloaded adjusting entity height automatically -> How do I turn it off

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2014 16:56
Hello!

I finally got some time to actually work on my game. While testing some architecture I imported I noticed that reloaded automatically adjust the height of an item to the entitie beneath it. This makes it impossible for me to correctly place my more complex architectural entities.
Is there a way to turn this off?

Right now, it causes giant holes in architectural sets (attached) which are too large, clunky and designed to be placed pixelperfectly for me to adjust them with the "page up and down" keys.

I'd be happy to hear about any solution.

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"

"absurdity has become necessity"

Attachments

Login to view attachments
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2014 20:50
Hi Wolf, any suggestions are welcome on how you would like the editor to solve this placement issue for you. We have a new placement gadget in the next build but you might want something with a little more precision so have a think and let me know what you come up with (great shot by the way). In the meantime to adjust the entity height placement mode, just press RETURN to toggle between 'find floor' and 'float in air'. When using Page Up and Down, you can (should be able to), hold down Control or Shift to adjust the speed of the adjustment.

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2014 21:00
I have the exact same problem as Wolf i have split a large model due to poly limit in reloaded but its very hard to line back up properly it ether goes over or under you get very frustrated over it

PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 - 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 6GB GPU - 32GB DDR3 MEM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 11:39
I am currently making some very large structures for a forum user and it is safe to say that pressing 'Enter' to stack the objects, does not work for entities of this size. I am having to make multiple variants of each asset, with it's origin point at varying heights, in order to snap the pieces together properly.

Lee, with regards to more control when placing assets; could we have something like 'snap to vertex'? I know in the next build, we will see the introduction of the manipulation tool (widget). Will this be located at the models origin point or will it be at centre mass?

Another option might be in the way of a slider or drop down menu, to select the grid movement size? So, the options go from say 100, which would be one FPSC unit, 50 - half a unit, 25, 15, 10, 5, 2, 1. That way, people could really get things to snap in place.

Looking forward to the new release.

Cheers

Jay.

Oh, Wolf, with regards to your issue, have you tried right clicking and press 'B' until you are in the increment grid mode. Not the free move and not the full grid unit mode. That one usually helps me. If the models have the correct origin points, they usually snap together quite nicely.

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 19:52 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2014 19:54
@Lee: [quote=]Hi Wolf, any suggestions are welcome on how you would like the editor to solve this placement issue for you. We have a new placement gadget in the next build but you might want something with a little more precision so have a think an

Attachments

Login to view attachments
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 22:40
The next version 'should' have a free float camera with the new right mouse button functionality which means you can get the perspective you need when finely placing your objects. We will see how popular or useful it turns out to be, my hope is that it will impress the fans and convert the unbelievers. If not, I can always add a mode to revert to the 'old style'.

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2014 22:51
free float camera sounds great as long as its not just prospective stuck only looking forward we need to rotate it in any direction zoom in zoom out sort of thing so if it has that im sure it will be great and keeping in line of other engines.

PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 - 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 6GB GPU - 32GB DDR3 MEM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2014 23:09
Quote: "free float camera sounds great as long as its not just prospective stuck only looking forward we need to rotate it in any direction zoom in zoom out sort of thing so if it has that im sure it will be great and keeping in line of other engines."

Totally agree. Like 3d soft does.

3com
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2014 23:21
Quote: "The next version 'should' have a free float camera with the new right mouse button functionality which means you can get the perspective you need when finely placing your objects"

Ah! Great! That and a slightly more precise in-editor selection would make it just perfect. Except one idea I'd like to throw out there: If it where possible to toggle a wireframe overlay for the terrain, we could work on it a bit more precise. Not sure hom much work that would be to implement and I doubt that it would be a much used feature....but a pretty neat detail.

All the best with the development,Lee!

Cheers

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"

"absurdity has become necessity"

“There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself.”
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2014 23:44
I'd really like to be able to enter manual numeric values in the entity detail tab or something. Using the pg up/dn, etc keys and eyeball methiods always feels really sloppy to me for anything other than roughing something out.

Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K, 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC, Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1024x1280
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2014 03:32
Quote: "I'd really like to be able to enter manual numeric values in the entity detail tab or something."

I suggested that near the beginning of this whole project! What could be simpler, mathematically and programmatically? Give me a little TextBox so I can type in a value, along with arrows up and down to tweak if necessary and place the entity accordingly, in real time. 'nuff said. Thank you!

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 02:20:14
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 02:20:14