3rd Party Models/Media Chat / [WIP] Hamburger's FPSCR 3D Projects and Scifi Media

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2014 19:24 Edited at: 27th Sep 2014 19:26
Been a while since I've been in the 3d game, but I had a bit of free time with nothing to do, so I decided to just make something!

I will try to update this thread at least once a week if time permits - I have a busy life right now and I have to make priorities often.

Right now, I am working on a highpoly model of a scifi pallet, will be part of a scifi cargo prop pack I plan to make and sell on my blog and turbosquid, and also the reloaded store.

Also, I plan to pick on back up on scifi textures 3.0 soon

The model is in really early stages, needs a lot more details but I've been mostly working on the edges of the pallet today and adding on rivets and things. Not so sure yet what I'm going to do in the middle of the pallet but I will think of something. I will also make versions with "tow straps" and cargo on top.

Will retopo model with LODS as well

Thanks

[/href]
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 17:23 Edited at: 29th Sep 2014 17:24
Added some more details to the model... still lots more to flesh out though.

[/href]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 17:40
I remember you being faboulus with handmade textures, nice to see it translates into meshes aswell.
Good work!

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"

"absurdity has become necessity"
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 19:05
Quote: "I remember you being faboulus with handmade textures, nice to see it translates into meshes aswell."

Correct me if I am wrong, but, didn't he make the 3D models to make the textures? I thought he made some high poly meshes and rendered those as an image.

Great work either way!

Cheers

Jay.

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2014 19:12
Quote: "I remember you being faboulus with handmade textures, nice to see it translates into meshes aswell.
Good work!
"

Thanks Wolf! I cant wait to see what it looks like myself. Texturing it will be the best part!

Quote: "Correct me if I am wrong, but, didn't he make the 3D models to make the textures? I thought he made some high poly meshes and rendered those as an image.

Great work either way!

Cheers

Jay."

Yep, although some were done in 2d. That was actually my primary method for a longgggg time, but now I think its too tedious. Once you go 3d, you never go back! Plus theres a lot I can do in 3d with highpoly modeling that I wasn't able to do beforehand with just vector programs and black/white gradients

Will pick back up on the weekend! I work all week and have school so I have to allot my time accordingly.

Also, if anyone has any ideas for me to make any props, feel free to express! A drawing would actually be even better. Or even just a screenshot of something out of a video game. I am very into the Unreal/doom/quake style scifi stuff.

[/href]
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2014 17:41 Edited at: 5th Oct 2014 17:53
Work as of today:

Added a couple subtle details

Refined some parts of highpoly geometry that were looking weird

Added a couple other details

2.5 hours

The top is nearing completion, just still needs some more stuff around the edges of the pallet - some notches or something to break up the long, continuous surfaces. Not sure what yet but I will figure it out next weekend (or later tonight... we'll see...).

I will start work on the bottom of it soon (can\'t leave those parts without some sort of detail), won\'t be as intricate as the top but still will have some cool stuff. I am thinking of adding slots for a forklift or something? Even some sort of dolley wheels would be cool. Maybe ill post pics of some sketches or something.

Starting to concept a few props to go on top of this thing too, after all what's a pallet without some sort of cargo?

[/href]

Attachments

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Hamburger,

I'm a little late going through the WIP thread and so have only just seen this. I'm TGC store manager so please let me know if you need any help or advice with getting these store ready.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2014 15:37
I love the attention to detail with your work.

That is one thing I struggle with, when it comes to my SciFi stuff. All the extra pipes, wires, panels, bolts screws etc, I can't picture them when modelling, so, my models rely heavily on a detailed texture.

Great work and looking forward to seeing the retopo version and textured.

Cheers

Jay.

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2014 19:00 Edited at: 8th Oct 2014 19:01
@Scene Commander:

Quote: "

I'm a little late going through the WIP thread and so have only just seen this. I'm TGC store manager so please let me know if you need any help or advice with getting these store ready."

Thanks SC, I'll get a ho

Attachments

unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2014 19:06
Thanks man, that (as simple as it is) is truly great advice. I will start to look at others textures and models and gain inspiration. I have built an enormous collection of high res textures through the years, 37.6GB to be precise. I need to go through and organise it all into categories, but, I think I have left it too late!

I will start a small collection of reference images.

The new subtle differences look good! As I said before, I like the attention to the small details that you have.

Keep it up.

Cheers

Jay.

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2014 19:39 Edited at: 9th Oct 2014 19:42
@unfamilia:

Quote: " need to go through and organise it all into categories, but, I think I have left it too late!

"

That is another thing that helps: being organized! Makes projects go much smoother.

[size=large][center][b][color

Attachments

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2014 16:59 Edited at: 11th Oct 2014 17:00
Work For Today:

Got a couple hours worth done today, but most of that was just setting up new lighting for work in progress shots. I'll probably do a little more later but I'll wait to update until tomorrow. I hid those trapezoidal shapes in the middle because they were bugging me, and added a couple small things. I really need to wrap up the top soon though so I can finish the bottom, need to get working on other models soon for this pack. Its so hard though when you want to keep adding stuff!

Hope you like the new work in progress shots:

Click for a larger view

[/href]

Attachments

Voodoo
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2014 15:00
cool Hamburger,
which program u using?
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2014 20:54 Edited at: 12th Oct 2014 23:12
@Voodoo:

Quote: "which program u using? "

I am using max to do highpolys and will be baking with xnormal for my lowpoly meshes. Needed to exercise some hard surface techniques so I decided to start doing this model!

[center][size=lar

Attachments

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2014 21:30
Sorry I haven't been posting lately guys, I've been doing lots of homework lately, mostly calculus, and I need to do well in school. 3d modeling is a bit further down in the priority list right now...

[/href]
Cosmic Prophet
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2014 00:44 Edited at: 26th Oct 2014 00:51
LOL, I've been doing the same. Sent you a PM my friend. Your new stuff looks great bro. Ndo is the coolest app ever for doing this kind of work, check out Ddo as well. It makes this stuff easy as cake.

Back from the Wasteland.
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2014 13:44 Edited at: 26th Oct 2014 13:48
Quote: "check out Ddo as well"

Im actually thinking of buying the suite... http://quixel.se/shop

ALso, I haven't got your PM yet, cosmic - I haven't seen it in my inbox yet? Can you try resending it maybe? Thanks

[/href]
Cosmic Prophet
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2014 20:20 Edited at: 26th Oct 2014 20:21
I think it went through this time. Some great stuff !!

Back from the Wasteland.
Frap
User Banned
Posted: 27th Oct 2014 05:31
Nice work.

I use nD0 and it really does speed up your workflow. though be warned it is a little crash happy but you rarely loose any work.

Portfolio

My Blog

Available for weddings, bah mitz fers, funerals and freelance work.
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2014 17:45
Hey frap, can you tell me if nDo creates ambient occlusion for you in the program from height info? It is essential for the texturing process when I go to texture these types of models, thanks.

[/href]
Frap
User Banned
Posted: 27th Oct 2014 18:38
Yeah it can.

Portfolio

My Blog

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2014 02:16
Okay, that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure though before I decide to make a 99 dollar purchase, hehe.

[/href]
Frap
User Banned
Posted: 30th Oct 2014 16:59 Edited at: 30th Oct 2014 17:00
I have just been checking out Substance painter which looks really good. you might want to check it out. I havnt bought it myself yet but am seriously thinking about it.

[href=]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fpW9C5il_U[/href]

Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2014 17:41
Frap - Substance painter is terrific. It's overkill for Reloaded, as many of the channels are not supported (metallic, roughness, height etc), but it's still a blast to mess around with.
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2014 17:59 Edited at: 30th Oct 2014 18:10
Quote: "It's overkill for Reloaded, as many of the channels are not supported (metallic, roughness, height etc), "

tell lee to take a look, maybe he'll think about it... Of course there is still a lot to do yet in the engine but it is worth mentioning.

Just looked at the video frap and substance painter looks pretty cool. I just hope that I use it enough hehe, its easy to buy a program and seldom use it that much... I got so many ideas of what I could do with it though, I imagine you could do some texturing stuff that you could have never thought of doing previously!

[/href]
Frap
User Banned
Posted: 31st Oct 2014 06:08
Yeah, I have done that once or twice. I really like the particle flow to paint onto the texture, unfortunately I cant afford this month as I have already spent my pocket money.

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2014 03:44 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2014 03:45
Work For Today:

Got some other quick side projects going, today I spent a couple hours making this little thing:

This will likely be part of a mini-pack that I will put up for sale... I really need to bring my media on turbosquid up to standard - some of the stuff I made a few years ago is really starting to show its age... gotta make some money before I move to university this spring for my freshman year after all!

Texture still needs working on as well, but it is still in very early stages of that process - will likely do variant textures like I did with my other media packs I sold.

Much thanks to those who read

-Ham

[/href]

Attachments

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2014 12:03
I very much like this sort of thing,look great when decorating a scene.I for one would be up for getting a pack of this sort,looks good .

Dave

AMD Phenom(tm)IIx6 1090t Processor 3.20 GHS

8.00 GB memory Windows 7 64 bit

Nvida Geforce GTX 580
PM
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2014 20:51 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2014 20:51
Quote: "I very much like this sort of thing,look great when decorating a scene.I for one would be up for getting a pack of this sort,looks good "

Thanks Dave! I think you'll like this one too:

Work For Today

A really quick toolbox model, model time was only about a half hour!

Nobody has ever made a proper craftsmen toolbox model for fpsc it seems, so I decided to do one for this little pack I am making.

[/href]

Attachments

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2014 22:31 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2014 22:32
Now for an unwrap and a quick texture - still needs work like the last one but that will be for later. Not really happy with the red colors anyway...

[/href]
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2014 23:00
I agree,maybe a little to red.One open one closed would be good also .

Dave

AMD Phenom(tm)IIx6 1090t Processor 3.20 GHS

8.00 GB memory Windows 7 64 bit

Nvida Geforce GTX 580
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 01:15 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2014 01:19
Quote: "Now for an unwrap and a quick texture - still needs work like the last one but that will be for later. Not really happy with the red colors anyway..."

Love the toolbox..... Perhaps a free added texture with a "Snap Off" logo would be fun

Or you probably Really could get away with "Snap On" if you make the tail on the last "N" broken so it looks a little like " Snap Or "

It wouldn't actually say Snap On would it
PM
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 01:22 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2014 01:25
Lol, I work as a mechanic in a shop right now and I would say that snap on is overpriced but I guess you are paying for a lifetime warranty soo... but yeah I don't think I could use corporate logos heh, but I definitely will be adding some racing sticker logos on it or something...

Also I would love to model open drawer versions, but sometimes to model and unwrap such a thing would be a nightmare, given how the model is already constructed and textured....

[/href]
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Lol, I work as a mechanic in a shop right now and I would say that snap on is overpriced but I guess you are paying for a lifetime warranty soo... but yeah I don't think I could use corporate logos heh, but I definitely will be adding some racing sticker logos on it or something..."

I was a Mechanic for 25 years and Snap on was very expensive then so I dread to think what they are now
However we used to cover our toolboxes in racing stickers as well so that would look brilliant and just as authentic ..
PM
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 01:34
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=hand&item_ID=644744&group_ID=674908&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Looolll... sometimes I just cant believe these.

I am more of the hobbyist type when it comes to cars so I would probably just go with garage sale/craigslist finds and craftsman or husky...

[/href]
Frap
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 18:18
Lol, my day job is to build race cars. If my toolbox looked like that I would be told to clean it or not come back until I had. I refuse to have any race stickers on it though most of guys I work with do. I look at them as being an informal resume of where people have worked, the more stickers they have the more places they have been fired from.

Agreed with the snap on prices but fortunately I do get a great discount however my metrology equipment ( measuring stuff like verniers and height gauges etc) is all Mitutoyo and that makes snap on stuff look cheap as every year they all need calibrating so that`s an ongoing cost for every tool I have.

Nice model BTW, had thought about doing one only this weekend but didnt get as far as starting it.

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 18:50
Quote: "Lol, my day job is to build race cars"

Right now Im putting money aside to build a really awesome 2nd gen small-block chevy Camaro... really want a bumblebee one lol!

I envy you, I'm just at a regular old shop In Michigan lol

[/href]
Frap
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 19:07
Quote: "I envy you, I'm just at a regular old shop In Michigan lol"

You wouldn't, it sounds glamorous but its a 60 hour week minimum and often more. No such thing as Christmas as there is a couple of cars to build by the start of the season and I am not track side staff those guys really are nuts. I am lucky in my dept this year out of 30 full time guys there have been 3 divorces that I know of.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "30 full time guys there have been 3 divorces that I know of.
"

It has its good points then

Sigh ...
PM
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2014 04:05
I'll swap jobs with you, you can try underground heavy diesel mechanic , very glamorous job

PC Specs: Windows 7 home 64-bit, Amd 7900 3gb DDR5 graphics, 8gb DDR3 Ram, Intel i7 3.4ghz
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2014 19:15 Edited at: 6th Nov 2014 19:16
Just a quick question before I go off to work, what other kinds of models would you guys be interested in? Most likely stuff for sale of (reasonable) pricing. I want to know what would be a hot sell !

Also, thinking about making these next (see attachments):

[/href]

Attachments

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2014 20:57 Edited at: 21st Dec 2014 20:57
I am back from a hiatus - life gets in the way sometimes and I just have to take breaks from 3d work.

Anyway, quick post, decided to rework some of my models I did previously, like this toolbox here:

Still needs a little more things like scratches (and a normal map), but other than that it is basically there... too bad I don't have marmoset toolbag!

Will do more stuff soon...

-Hamburger

[/href]

Attachments

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2014 01:43 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2014 01:46
New Stuff

Toolbox is almost there...

99% done with the texture work on the toolbox! Just need to create the bump maps and speculars... That's it! Re-did the lighting in the render too to make it look better along with the new additions. I really like how the stickers on the side of the box came out! Still want to do a red painted version but that will have to wait for now.

Next up will be to give the "shelf with bins" the same treatment as this one, as the old placeholder texture still remains on it. Also, I've started on another little model, still in the midst of unwrapping the thing because it is being a pain in the ass.

[/href]

Attachments

Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2014 02:12
The texture work looks great. Are you planning to do LODs and how much shop equipment do you plan to do?

Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K, 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC, Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1024x1280
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2014 19:46
Thanks Errant!

Not sure how much shop stuff I am going to do... Don't really have tons of time to model things right now (life is always getting in the way for me, even when I think I have a break).

Hopefully when I get back from university I will be able to create more... Right now I am on my Christmas break, lol.

As for LOD... I don't really know how to properly do them so they look good. I mean I know the process of making them but the execution of that seems a little iffy despite my skills.

The toolbox above is around 650 tris or something like that

[/href]
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2014 22:58
Let me know if you need any specifics for the LOD process. I have found the Reloaded mesh parsing to be very user unfriendly but manageable for simple, single mesh objects like that.

Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K, 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC, Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1024x1280

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 11:16:51
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 11:16:51