3rd Party Models/Media Chat / A question regarding textures

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2014 23:11
Hi!

I was wondering if a more experienced modeler could help me sort this: While converting some of my media, I gave a few objects shadermaps in a lower resolution than the diffuse map. This means that I assigned a 256*256 specular map to a 1024*1024 diffuse. I was wondering if this would be advised. I've seen this done in some other engines. (apparently it worked, but I had bad results in Classic with this on the segments)
If someone has experience with this or generally knows his way around textures I'd appreciate some insight!

Cheers!

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"

"absurdity has become necessity"
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2014 02:55
I've actually never tried that. As I would just assume the shadermaps would get displaced. But then again if they are of the same aspect ratio I'd hope the engine would conform the texture by scaling it up to the same size as the diffuse, no?

This is actually something I'm curious about as a way to help boost performance. Considering we are essentially multiplying a single image 3 times minimally ( *_D.dds, *_S.dds, *_N.dds). So I would also like to know the answer to Wolf's question

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2014 04:38 Edited at: 25th Sep 2014 04:41
You will find you dont need a spec or normal map to be the same res, as stated above so long as they are same aspect ratio they should work just fine. They might lose a little resolution but on the whole they really don't need to be same size and any loss with these maps is actually negligible. Used 1024x1024 spec and normal with 4096x4096 diffuse with no problems and reckoned the memory is worth saving. Sometimes they go the other way in games where a very small diffuse is used for colour info and the larger effect maps are for detail.

It really makes no difference what size a texture is so long as power of two as it's down to the uv mapping .

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2014 08:39
I like to use a lot of detail in my spec maps, so, I retain the size, but, if you don't have things like finger prints, footprints or other fine details that need to show, then changing the resolution of the the other maps won't be an issue.

Cheers

Jay.

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2014 12:23
Thanks for all the replies guys! This allows me to optimise my game far better. Thanks.

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"

"absurdity has become necessity"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 21:00:04
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 21:00:04