Feature Creep / water inzone instead of water plain

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
to lee and crew

if it is possible im not sure but, is it possible to remove the entire water plain under the terrain and replace it with a water inzone marker that does the same thing on a smaller scale?. this could possibly save value able fps?.
this would make water falls rivers flowing down hill and up high ponds ect more possible and realistic perhaps? or if not a water inzone marker possibly a paint brush or droplet tool for adding water to areas ??

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 quad core 4gb ram.
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 23:25
I would love this as the water as it is just doesn't cut it we to be able to place water where needed

PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 - 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 6GB GPU - 32GB DDR3 MEM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
i emailed lee about this also, his reply was

Hi Hood,

It's a good idea, and one I will be implementing after V1. Having water pools at different heights would open up plenty of possibilities such as swimming pools in buildings, water fountains, small mountain lakes, e.t.c. Right now there are some very fast reflection modes for the water so performance is not too damaged with the current water plane (only two polygons and a fast shader technique).

Best Regards,
Lee.

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 quad core 4gb ram.
PM
Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2014 09:39 Edited at: 8th Oct 2014 09:43
Not sure why you cant have a "Water Block" brush or such like. Where one might have the ability to manipulate its properties. e.g. under water, local fog, colour, transparency level and so on to add such like water details. Perhaps an entity could be incorporated this way I don't know.

Currently the "Water" - water plane is a very poor substitute for water of any real game making value where water is of any significant importance during gameplay though we have the ability to make games using it on a large scale area as in an ocean or island area and such like where water could potentially form the largest surface area. No point in that so such use and games are largely ruled out.

Best one could do really is to restrict Water to flat puddles or knee high water levels as one would not want to make a serious game with water above the player eye level at the highest. You would not want to make a really good game and have water your players can go under as that will kill your great game dead. Its just not of anything like pro or even basic quality for use as a real body of water the player or game player can use at all in a game that requires water as an integral part of their gameplay.

It looks OK to get away with from above at sea level but that's about the extent of its use but for anything more than a low level as said body of water its of no value.

As with some other core existing elements this needs some attention. I don't know about water above sea level. e.g. mountain streams and so on which one could look at later but as Water as such is integral to the engine, and a major outdoor game area environment element and part of the product as distributed as is Terrain it should not be left as is to the detriment of the product should it ever be released as a full version beyond any beta. The water is hardly beta quality leave alone a finished version release quality feature for what Reloaded aspires to promote itself as which we still have to wait and see if it lives up to in any area.

As said personally I don't think if you are including any core or major feature at any stage particularly when any final V1 or whatever it will be called is released that any major included feature should fall short of any other that is included resulting in one feature element of your game falling way below par of the others.

A lot of effort is going into some engine areas and features to make them much better - hopefully, though that we have to wait and see on that. This is fine though included and started existing features and major ones at that should not be left to fall by the wayside and be left behind completely in not being of the same or similar standard to other parts of the games you can make and leave the whole down badly.

No problem if you don't use water or keep it below your knees of course so I will just have to lower mine and rest my boats on mud or turn it all to ice in my ice levels.

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
I been thinking more on this and just emailed lee a idea

make the water inzone marker 3d with the ability to add extra points to change the shape of the 3d area of the marker, kinda along the lines of way points..
with a 3d box we could have water run from mountains down to plains with some clever shaping and textures animations, or fill a swimming pool bath tub or even a bird bath..

all it would have to really do is
a, keep the water in the boundaries of the zone
b, be shape able enough to smoothly make bends left right up and down
c, animated to flow when needed for like rivers water falls ect.

just an idea of course not sure if its even possible lol..

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 amd 4100fx cpu quad core 4gb ram.
PM
Duncan Peck
Years of Service
User Offline
In Red Alert 3 world builder there is a similar function to what you describing in terms of water. You place water zones... similar to the zones concept in FPSC:R you can then edit the zone to set the water height. It would enable being able to make different pools of water at different heights. The idea being you simply place a water zone marker around a hole in the terrain and simply set the height of water (slightly below the surrounding terrain height) and it would fill up a water pool for you. Still for version 1 of FPSC:R I don't think water improvement is that necessary but it might be nice to see something a little more expansive in a future version. Flowing streams from the top of a mountain reservoir that turn into rivers and go down to the sea would be cool.
PM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
cool m8

oh and I forgot to mention each marker should be able to be coloured water of all shades like the current water plain is changeable, but perhaps easier lol like the lights for example..

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 amd 4100fx cpu quad core 4gb ram.
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2015 12:33 Edited at: 19th Jan 2015 12:35
I attempted to use the water shader and texture myself to see if it was possible to make into a model (with no collision). I got close but I think there are some hardcoded parts to the water that I wasn't able to use.

However having the large water plain is very useful as it doesn't take up much performance and its very common with most engines today. The addition of water pools and such is what we'll need rather than replacing. You can already turn off the water plain if you wish.

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "However having the large water plain is very useful as it doesn't take up much performance and its very common with most engines today. The addition of water pools and such is what we'll need rather than replacing. You can already turn off the water plain if you wish."

good point m8, yeah no real need to replace the water plain, if it can be raised and lowered also like in the other feature request thread and have what I suggest also we be set for some cool stuff

PM
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
As Lee has stated, we will be revisiting water and will most likely treat it as an update in it's own right, concentrating purely on water for one build.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 16:09:45
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 16:09:45