Product Chat / Tried the Commando demo - observations & questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2014 17:59 Edited at: 19th Sep 2014 21:56
Hi folks!

I tried the Commando demo (I am not a beta pledger), I walked around the map and i notice if it is the default terrain size it is very large How large is it?

I notice the game engine reloaded is called an "Open World" game creation engine - It looks like it certainly has the space - will I be able to create an open world First Person RPG with this engine?

Can I make NPC's have dialog options and to get quests from them?

Are there scripted doors that open and in the buildings? Except for the fence and a rock door the demo didn't have any scripted doors.

I know the demo was made with a beta version and the engine is not finished, still I noticed some things. The guns reloads very slowly as if in slow motion. I have 8 gigs of ram with an additional 2 dedicated to video memory on a win 8 64 bit laptop - it plays every new game on medium to high settings like a champ.. Skyrim, Battlefield 4 etc - that animation should play smoothly. Is it just me or is it like this because the engine still needs work?

It seems to take a long time to kill the bad guys. I have to pump tons of bullets into them.

Will there be a day/night cycle?

I'm sure I''ll have more later but that's good for now. I look forward to your answers.

BTW, I am looking forward to seeing a demo of the crafting system and the upcoming ability to build buildings while in first person mode. My experience is using Second Life's Havok engine to build buildings and objects by manipulating primitives.

Thanks!
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2014 01:19 Edited at: 20th Sep 2014 03:12
Quote: "will I be able to create an open world First Person RPG with this engine?"

Absolutely.

Quote: "Can I make NPC's have dialog options and to get quests from them?"

It's not currently an engine feature, but it could be scripted pretty easily enough at this time. I believe it will probably be an engine feature at some pint.

Quote: "Is it just me or is it like this because the engine still needs work?"

LOL, it still needs work! The last beta was actually quite a bit faster! It seems some betas can be one step forward and two steps back! It's coming along, though. Keep in mind TGC is a very small company/development team.

Quote: "It seems to take a long time to kill the bad guys. I have to pump tons of bullets into them."

Yeah, the guns aren't that accurate! Apparently you can tweak the accuracy, or was that due for the next beta? I don't remember, I kinda lost track of that one and I've never tried it! Try shooting a few rounds at the same point like the ground, water, or whatever, and you'll see what I mean. Also, the bad guys have adjustable health levels, so you could go that route, too!

Anyway, welcome to the forums!

Quote: "Are there scripted doors that open and in the buildings? Except for the fence and a rock door the demo didn't have any scripted doors."

Oops! Missed one! They won't be working on interiors until at least the conkit is finished. Performance issues need to be addressed first, I think. Also, outdoor lighting has it's own flaws in the current beta. There are no accessible buildings in their entirety, you kinda have to assemble them from parts available in the store, or make them yourself (horror pack, I think, works). it's just that interior lighting is not very good. There are people around here that are quite skilled in the martial arts of shaders, scripting, and modeling, and they could certainly pull it off! Take a look at some of Rolfy's work in particular!

Quote: "Will there be a day/night cycle?"

Missed another! LOL! Sorry, it's Friday and tomorrow is my first day off in a couple weeks and I'm enjoying some libations! We got flooded, big time! Anyway, day/night cycle has already been implemented (last beta, I think). I just don't know if we have any real control over it.

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
ElectricRider
Years of Service
User Offline
Jerry,

Thank you so much for awesome answers. I will keep an eye on the project and perhaps get FPSC-R once some more bugs are worked out.

I have an idea for a game you see, starring two popular comic legends from TV and movies. There are tons of material - characters, settings, dialog already made for these two I can draw from so the quests/plot/story will be easy to write. The idea is to be able to choose between which player of the duo you want to be and while your playing the remaining character will be your companion which will follow you and aid you on quests. Depending on which character you choose, the story line will take different paths. As this is a comic duo any shooting will be kept to a non violent kill, such as knocking out the bad guy. I'd want folks to go on the same kinds of silly adventures you see this duo go on in the movies. I'd mention the duo but don't want to give the idea away - no one has made any games based on this couple and I believe it would be a popular game - they are two of the most beloved characters world wide.

I'm looking to learn LUA for this. Say, is FPSC-R written in Dark Basic Pro? How does LUA stack up to the Unity used for DarkBasic Pro? Would an understanding of DarkBasic or Unity be helpful in learning FPSC-R?

Again, many Thanks.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2014 12:17 Edited at: 20th Sep 2014 12:27
Having knowledge of DB or Unity themselves will help quite a bit. If you can code in either DB or Unity, then getting into Lua will be a lot easier than with no knowledge at all, as you will be familiar with basic coding. When it comes down to it many languages are basically the same, just with different commands and different structures. The basic ideas remain the same however.

I don't really know Lua very well at all. I have never really studied it. I just work my way round it from prior coding experience. That hasn't stopped me from making decent Lua scripts, without any more than glancing at the commands listed for Reloaded, and some of the basic Lua commands in it's reference manual, and browsing some of the included scripts to get a handle on the structure.

So, yes, it can help if you are experienced in either. Nor sure which Duo you mean, I can only think of one obvious pair which I would think are consider beloved. Although at least one game was made featuring them. Also, if you are basing your game around a copyrighted franchise be aware of complications :p

Edit - I made Commando, so I hope you liked it as far as it went. Being still in Beta, the game underwent a painful process with new versions. Having to be modified all over twice, because of changes in static and dynamic entities (imagine having to right click almost every object in the map and changing each one from dynamic to static and then a week or 2 later, back again, and you may get an idea). That, plus other issues didn't help with it's crafting. In the end I hope it wasn't too bad to play, and didn't suffer too much from slowdown. Reloaded is still in beta so updates can and often does cause issues with existing levels. Which, while the engine is evolving, is quite expected, if not welcome, when your level starts doing odd things after an update!

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2014 15:12
I can't think of what duo you're talking about, either, and I'm not going to try to guess as I'm sure you want to keep that quiet! LOL, but as DVader said, if it's copyrighted, you would need permission from the holder of that copyright to release any kind of commercial game. If it's solely for your entertainment, then knock your socks off. Personally, everything I make is for me and me alone (and anyone who plays on my computer!), so pretty much everything I do is for educational purposes only. Even "fan-art" and "fan-fiction" can have their complications. This issue pops up in threads around here from time to time, and like tomjscott said(I could be wrong, it might have been someone else), a parody would likely be legal. But how would you parody something that's already comical? I'll leave that up to you! Make sure though, that the concept of "parody" comes out and slaps the user in the face, really, really hard. Some people do not understand the concept, sadly!

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2014 20:09
Quote: "they are two of the most beloved characters world wide."

Jay and Silent Bob?

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"

"absurdity has become necessity"
ElectricRider
Years of Service
User Offline
O.k... I'll tell but only because if I don't make it I would still like to see someone else make it.

Cheech and Chong. I'm thinking the "gun" would shoot the bad guys with some herbal stuff that would incapacitate them. I'd like to explore the world they live in and interact with the same types of characters they did in the movies. This would be a fan project, non commercial.

Thanks DVader and Jerry for the awesome advice.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 14:55:16
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 14:55:16