Product Chat / skybox drops fps dramatically

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hi is any1 else getting a serious fps drop when using the skybox "desert skybox 3" im losing half the fps on a map, with this skybox..
settings are on lowest with a setting of 1 for water reflections, shadows and lightrays.. with just a little pool of water in the map..

skybox atmos
[img][/img]

skybox desert 3
[img][/img]

in the screen shots taken from the same point on the map I loose ALOT of fps using this skybox desert 3..

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 quad core 4gb ram.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2014 17:02 Edited at: 18th Sep 2014 17:05
I can concur that this is apparent. I include my screenshots, although I note that the FPS has been added, due to it not capturing with the snapshot in F11 mode for some reason. Over 50% drop in FPS for me.

Edit - I wouldn't expect a drop in FPS like this even with a real 3d scene surrounding me, never mind a skybox.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
I noticed they use TGA's and are double the size of the normal ones....... Dunno if that makes a difference
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2014 00:09
FPSC used to work in mysterious ways and was the only software I ever used that acted irrationally.
Sometimes the same action would lead to different results, sometimes a level would not build that builded 2 times before... why would it be different in FPSCR.

What I'm gettting at is: Try converting the skybox textures to .dds. It shouldnt make a difference, but maybe it does for no real reason.

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"

"absurdity has become necessity"
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the report, I'll look into this.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "FPSC used to work in mysterious ways and was the only software I ever used that acted irrationally.
Sometimes the same action would lead to different results, sometimes a level would not build that builded 2 times before... why would it be different in FPSCR."

Well, for one it is being developed with us all alongside to point these issues out. Two, surely the TGC should learn from previous mistakes? Three, there's nothing irrational about the symptoms you describe, they are bugs plain and simple. Personally, with all of us beta testing the product, the fact it is years after the original was released and the fact more than one person is working on it, I think your expectations are fairly low here. If I expected Reloaded to be like the original FPSC Creator, I would never have purchased it.
We could just be quiet and try to fix things ourselves, but it's not our job to do this, and it is better to post here and let TGC know of issues like this. So they CAN be fixed. Of course if it was driving you insane, and you absolutely NEED it for your game, then opening up the files and hunting for reasons causing it is fine. But even so reporting it will hopefully get it fixed for everyone out the box, as it should be. The fact the images are twice the size they need to be is probably part of the reason for slow down, although even then losing half your FPS is excessive for just that. Not sure how TGA could affect things as such, but it seems it may well slow things badly in Reloaded land by the sounds.
I'm not being deliberately argumentative here, just pointing out the need for people to report issues if they are to be fixed

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "We could just be quiet and try to fix things ourselves, but it's not our job to do this, and it is better to post here and let TGC know of issues like this. So they CAN be fixed"

this is exactly right dvader m8, im not a modeller or in the know about changing things like this so yeah 100% agree.

PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 13:45
Quote: "I'm not being deliberately argumentative here, just pointing out the need for people to report issues if they are to be fixed"

What? I will have your head for this!!!

I kid of course, I'm not saying that errors shouldn't be reported (and I dont know how you got that idea), on the contrary, they should! All I ment was that, converting them to .dds should not fix the issue for any logical reason, as even if images are large in size they shouldn't drop the FPS like that. But that could fix the issue, temporarily until its figured out what really causes the slow down, for almightyhood.

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"

"absurdity has become necessity"
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
ah im not in need of the skybox, though I did use it for my umazinmekrazy game demo for competition the other month.
I was just messing around not doing anything serious with the engine, and noticed the big drop in fps on a blank map, it might be a new bug or an old 1 with the skybox?, I honestly didn't notice the fps drop for my demo game but there we go lol..

PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 15:36
Quote: "If I expected Reloaded to be like the original FPSC Creator, I would never have purchased it."

Totally agree
Reloaded should be more than that, IHMO.

3com
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I wasn't knocking you as I said, Wolf, just pointing out these things need reporting. I didn't get the impression that you were suggesting otherwise, apart from the are you really surprised part I understand you were making a constructive suggestion. Just don't send out the faceless men for me

I think there are a number of objects from the official TGC media, both free to Gold pledgers and paid packs, causing odd slowdown. I have noticed a few objects do this, mainly foliage. Just what is the root cause of the issue is far from clear still. Transparencies? Poly count? Some other odd issue to do with the images? Animations? Collision settings or some other thing in the FPE file? There could be any number of issues.

Eventually they should be sorted out, as and when people report issues, or at least some time after.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 16:16 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2014 16:27
Thought I might look at this, I tried the desert skybox above and I tried a couple of my own which use tga (you find with some textures that dds compression will cause banding artifacts and either have to use tga or dds 24bit uncompressed).

I am not getting any reduction in fps at all even with skyscroll, might be an idea to delete and re-download the offending skybox and see if it fixes it.

What I did see however was a halving of the frame rate when hitting 'Tab' for the second time to bring up the properties panels. This returns to normal fps when only the metrics panel is open.

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
well, I don't use the tab setting for fps info, I use f11 which I think is more accurate result or at least used to be more correct for fps.
I had just reinstalled 1.085 when posting the screenshots but sure I can try the advice rolfy m8 but if dvader is getting a similar thing maybe its more to it than deleting and such?.

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 13:18:55
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 13:18:55