Product Chat / model sizing in blender and such and support for 3D world studio?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
ok well this is kind of a two part question.

first off, I created a simple rectangular box in blender, then imported it into FPSCR. got it all to work ok, but the model was really super small. the first scale specs was pretty small I guess. X was like 5.0. Y was 2.50 and Z was 1.25. well this ended up being no bigger then my foot would have been if my player had feet.
I then recreated the model with demensions of about 25 by 12.50 by 1, it was a little bigger, but still way too small to be anything. problem is in blender with the size of 25 it is huge and in the game it is micro. so I am kind of wondering what should my model scale be in blender to make it work correctly in FPSCR. for like lets say to create a road, about what would one think the scale for width be for a decent sized road????

second off, is that I do have 3D world studio. and although I know at this time in development FPSCR does not support multiple textures for a model. however will it down the road?

I only ask because I would like to use 3D world studio for making the larger flat surfaces and then use blender to create the smaller details. in time I am thinking I am just go to blender all together, but for right now I would like to create the outer structure of a building, tunnel, road, and so forth in 3D world studio. then use blender to the finer details of a model. well that and I spent money on world studio only to find that the torque game engine no longer supports it, then to find out it doesn't run on windows 8, however I figured out a way to get it to run on windows 8, not I just need to get it to work with this engine and I will be set.

I did see a post for a work around for the not supporting multiple textures in a post, however the link it had listed I could not get the page to show. so if anyone knows this work around it would be a big plus and much appreciated if they was to share this technique. but if FPSCR is not going to support multiple textures in the future, then I just need to rethink my stradegy.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
100 units in Blender represent 100 units in Reloaded. To get an idea of how big 100 units is, the grid mode (activated with the b key) at max grid snap is 100 units. So armed with that knowledge a good guess for a road width would be perhaps 400 units, or more, dependent on how wide you want it. It really depends on the road. A thin path would be more like 100 or so. I do agree the scale is somewhat of an issue when working with Blender and Reloaded. If you think of 100 units measuring a meter I think you will be around the right lines. Always best to work to with objects divisible by 100 as well, so they grid together nicely.

I am not 100% on the second question, but I think if you set the image reference in the FPE file to nothing :-

Then the object will use any textures assigned to it from 3D World Studio. I am only going by what I have read on the forums as I do not own 3D World Studio and use Blender myself. Also, in the current version, I believe it does not work, but does in older versions and the forthcoming 1.9 version.

Hope that helps.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2014 08:00
An example I took tgc's road piece, changed to .obj imported to blender scaled down to .002 (50x smaller) and it was 8 grid sections wide, hope that helps

PC Specs: Windows 7 home 64-bit, Amd 7900 3gb DDR5 graphics, 8gb DDR3 Ram, Intel i7 3.4ghz

Feel free to visit and edit the public FPSCR resource wiki page: http://fpscrresource.wikispaces.com/home
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2014 17:00 Edited at: 15th Sep 2014 17:10
100x100 Units are inches, 100"X100" is 8'4"x8'4". If your modeling app grid can be set to inches, feet etc (would be amazed if it couldn't) then there is no reason why your models would look 'huge' in it.

Would have been better posting your question in 3rd party models and media for a response from other modelers.

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
You can change Blender to represent imperial or metric units, but you still have the issue of all the objects being incredibly small by default. I find using the standard Blender unit value just as easy to work with in general. Of course there is probably a way to get a default scene setup to work at a better scale in Blender if you search the many options. I just haven't found an obvious way as yet, and tend to model at the original scale, then, when done, scale the entire model up to the correct size. That way you don't have to scale up any new objects you add as you go each time.

James Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
well I been playing with both 3D world studio and blender. 3D world studio scale sizing works much better then blender.
i created two identical plains one in 3D world studio and one in blender.
the plain created in 3D world studio took a lot less time due to the not needing to uv map the object. and the scale sizing works much better.
however once imported into FPSCR. you can really tell a difference between the two.

the plain from blender although the texture was really blurred badly, which i am guessing is because of how i textured it, still need practice at that. but i did like how the sun light reflected off the surface. to where the texture itself of the plain from 3D world studio was a lot sharper, it did not have the reflection coming off it.

so i am still sort of in limbo between the two. i do like the end results from blender much better, but that scale thing is just crazy. to make the plain in blender i had to scale it to like 600 by 500. to where i couldn't even see all of it in the 3D view.

i do thank you all for your responses. i have searched a little to find how to set the scale of the grid, but it didn't really help with the scale difference between blender and FPSCR. so i hope this is a issue the development team will address in the future.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Getting into Blender can be difficult, more so if you have used other 3D packages before, as the UI is very different to many apps. I haven't used 3D World Studio as I have said, but it does sound as is that is a simpler type of package to use than Blender or indeed many actual 3D packages. Which is great, but may limit it's end results. Indeed as you say, if you do not need to UV map, much of the texturing process must be done for you, or as I guess pre done with the shapes provided.
You can get better results off a program such as Blender than 3D World Studio, but it takes a lot of time and patience to learn. When you are making objects mainly to further your game, that is not always preferable and speed is wanted. I can be a tough job dealing with every facet needed when making games! The store can be nice to just browse through and buy the items that will help your game. When you look at the price of many items, they are a bargain, when you consider how much time and effort goes into making many of them. For instance, my latest object, a filing cabinet may seem a little pricey. But if you spent the time modeling, texturing, animating, scripting, recording (sound effects) and testing. Not to mention much work on the store side of things (not least getting it prepped properly for the actual store), you might realize that really, the price is really,really cheap.
If you look at it like that, and have money to purchase them, the store is the clever way to get media. Making it yourself is very, very slow and laborious. Well, it is for me anyway, although you do get much satisfaction when you have a completed model made and working, and possibly shooting you in Reloaded!

Oh a last thing. In Blender you can increase the min/max range of the camera. Open the right hand Transform menu window, scroll down to see Display. In there you can alter scale, number of lines to the floor grid and such. Above that in View, you can can define the camera min max by changing the near and far values (far being the important one when scaling up). So at least you won't have the problem of viewing the model in Blender

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2014 14:51 Edited at: 20th Sep 2014 15:00
Quote: "i have searched a little to find how to set the scale of the grid, but it didn't really help with the scale difference between blender and FPSCR. so i hope this is a issue the development team will address in the future. "

Really didn't take me long to find this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6I4BMtVlRU

There is really nothing for the development team to address here, scale is correct between FPSCR and other modeling packages if they are set to correct scale. Blender apparently uses its own scale by default, Blender units, a unit can apparently be set to whatever you want (inches, centimeters etc).

I do agree that the grid in Reloaded needs closer looking at as I have found the snap to sometimes be a hair off, it is a bit hit and miss and that very small fraction out has caused me many headaches, but with scale shouldn't have anywhere near as much effect as your describing.

This should be set and fixed in your modeling app not Reloaded.

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...
James Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2014 21:16 Edited at: 20th Sep 2014 21:18
well, I watched the video, and yes it showed me something I didn't see in my searches, all I seen was grid size editing. but during the week I don't have much time due to I work long hours.

however, I changed the scale to imperial, and to metric, and although yes it got bigger in blender once it was imported to FPSCR is was still seriously small.

I included a screen shot, two of the blocks that are textured, for I was using them to learn how to get the different maps to work on the texture, is sized at 100 by 200 in blender units, which is pretty big.

the two small black boxes which I didn't bother to texture for I was just checking the scale on them are set in metric and in imperial sizes.

the metric one is set at like 10 meters by 5 meters.

the imperial is like 16 feet by 32 feet.

and as you can see they are no bigger then my player's foot if he had feet.

and no I do not know enough about either FPSCR or blender to know where the problem lays. that is why I am here asking if there is a way to fix this.

I have used several other game engines and have never had this problem before.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2014 00:29 Edited at: 21st Sep 2014 00:41
Really it is as simple as I posted in my first post. 100 units represents one grid tile in Reloaded. Forget about setting different measurements, just stick with default.

Just set your block size to the size you want, in Blender units, see here I use 100x100x2. Export the model.

You can see here the result in Reloaded. I would normally apply the scale in Blender before exporting, but here I did not, and still no issues in Reloaded.

So you can see as long as you set the object up to a decent size in Blender it comes out okay in Reloaded. If you are doing this already, then the fault may lie in the FPE file, check the scale is 100.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
James Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah I just got done going through the tutorial from unfamilla with his concrete block, which is a very good tutorial. taught me a lot.
he basically said same thing, 100 by 100 is one grid unit in FPSCR.
I know when I created a 500 by 600 plain, my texture was all stretched out and was blurry. using same texture as I used in screen shot with the object being 100 by 200. but that could have been in my uv mapping, still got a lot to learn, just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something I was missing with the scale, before moving on to the next thing.
PM
James Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " I haven't used 3D World Studio as I have said, but it does sound as is that is a simpler type of package to use than Blender or indeed many actual 3D packages. Which is great, but may limit it's end results. Indeed as you say, if you do not need to UV map, much of the texturing process must be done for you, or as I guess pre done with the shapes provided."

yeah 3D world studio is more of a mapper then a modeler, it works off of primitives. it is created by Leadwerks, it is actually how their game engine started.
you basically decide from a list of primitives, make it to what ever sizes you want it to be, then select textures for it, you can apply textures to whole object or just each face. but yes, it is pretty limited compared to what one can do in like blender. but it still is pretty functional for what it is. my idea was to use leadwerks to lay down walls, floors, ceiling and such then use blender to create the more finer detailed objects, for you can import models into 3D world studio to use on your build.

I believe it was once sold on the game creators web site, but it is no longer supported as a stand alone application and now has been fully integrated into their game engine, as well as the stand alone version that they sold before deciding to no longer support it as a stand alone, does not run on windows 8.

however as I said above, now that the weekend is here, I can it down and run tests and see what does what and how it looks in FPSCR.

I so like the end results of what comes out of blender then what came out of 3D world studio. even with just a simple plain to view how the texture looks.
the textures looked so much better from the mesh coming from blender then the primitive did coming from 3D world studio, although I am gonna presume that their latest version that is only in their actual game engine creates a better end result, their game engine at the moment does not allow for one to export models to different formats from their game engine.

so it looks like I am going to go with blender, but this scale thing is killing me. 100 units in blender equals one grid section in FPSCR, that just crazy I tell you.
but I will manage I suppose, I have messed with blender before, but it been so long I have forgot most of what I learned, so now I am basically re-catching up on all the things I have learned and am already learning more with it.

the biggest concern I have with the scale in blender is when I created a plain 500 by 600, the textures was all stretched out, and really blurry, but this very well could be from how I created and uv mapped it. now that I know that there is nothing I was supposed to or can do to fix the scale issue, I can start working on getting my models to look right at the scale they need to be to look right in FPSCR.
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2014 10:35
When you say your textures are stretched; I am curious as to what size textures you are using?

If you are creating something that 5 x 6 (FPSC units) that is quite large. If you are using a standard 1024px texture, it will be stretched. That's like using a napkin as a table cloth. You can be clever and use your UV's to your advantage and use an atlas texture. However, even with an atlas texture, I would always recommend using a 2048px texture.

What are you trying to model? Is it a room or a building?

Cheers

Jay.

James Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2014 09:18 Edited at: 24th Sep 2014 09:20
@ unfamilla,

well in my test I was just creating a simple plain, something that was quick and easy so I could get a idea for the size and how the textures would look.

in first test my plain was super small. then after reading the answers early on
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 19:48:10
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 19:48:10