Product Chat / Stand-alone game/demo requirements

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2014 01:50
I just built a new system and wanted to try rolfy's demo (Book of Souls) to see if the new on-board video was OK. I installed DX9 as usual and tried the demo. No joy. No error, but no joy. The game wouldn't start.

I installed the TGC demo which uses an installer and it ran fine. Then I tried rolfy's demo again and it started and ran fine. That tells me that there is something in FPSR (I haven't installed it yet either) or something in TGC's demo installer that is needed to make these games run besides DX9. Maybe this was already discussed and I missed it. Can anyone enlighten me?

Brian.

If my post seems rude or stupid, don't be offended. It's just a failed attempt at humor.
PM
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
install all windoes updates and microsoft framework and visual c++ runtime

PC Specs:

Q9550@3,8GHZ - 8GB RAM - SVGA HD6870 1GB - HDD WD 1500TB
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
What I think he means is......

The escape installs a requirement that our standalones require to run straight from the box...

But that would make sense .... The installer probably installs required files to run.......But our standalones run straight from the directory so chances are other things would need to be installed on a new machine first anyway
PM
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2014 15:21 Edited at: 6th Sep 2014 15:29
Quote: "so chances are other things would need to be installed on a new machine first "

Correct and visual c++ runtime is probably one of them. It would be nice to know what we need to include in our installers so our games/demos play on other systems.

Quote: "install all windoes updates and microsoft framework and visual c++ runtime"

While I understand what you're saying, I would not want to repeat it as advise to someone who wants to try my demo. It just doesn't sound.... professional.

Brian.

If my post seems rude or stupid, don't be offended. It's just a failed attempt at humor.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I have sent standalone's of my competition entry and other demos since standalone was added, I haven't encountered any issues with people running them myself.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 14:17:11
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 14:17:11