Product Chat / I have seen examples of games here with fire how can i do it?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have seen examples of games here with fire how can i do it?
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 15:57
You can use an animated sprite or a custom shader effect. Rescue the Princess, it has both of these effects in it. I used a custom shader for the campfire and animated sprites for the standing torches at the skull cave entrance.

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0071
geistschatten
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: GameGuru
Posted: 1st Sep 2014 02:07
Here is the other thread talking about it http://fpscrforum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=209559

I tried to understand it, but seems like it's way over my head or else I'm missing an obvious thing. Maybe someone could write a step-by-step tutorial? I bought the Benge Sprites pack back when there was only Classic and would love to start using those with FPSCR. I also saw some kind of fire sprite in the FPSCR folder?

Either way, hopefully easy support will come for this soon
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 1st Sep 2014 04:08
I don't have a lot of time to make tutorials, but here is the gist of it.

1. Create an fpe file that points to the appropriate decal.dds file (from the animated sprite pack) as the texture. Set the .X file to a simple piece of quad geometry. If you don't have one, use the one I'm attaching here.
2. The entity should be dynamic with physics off and transparent mode of 3.
3. The fpe file should point the effect to the effectbank/reloaded/effect_animated.fx file
4. For the main script you should use something that makes the entity always face the player so the illusion of the flat quad is not revealed. I'm also attaching a billboard.lua script for this.

Then you simply plop your entity into the scene and it should automatically animate. This should work, but if I forgot any small details then let me know and I can try to help.

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0071

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 13:48:54
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 13:48:54