3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Modern/scifi construction kit

Author
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2014 19:50
Awaiting store approval, a kit for creating modern/scifi buildings. The set of buildings in the video took about an hour and a half to do, and I think it will be substantially quicker and easier once we have a proper 3d editor. The skybox I used in the video is Rolfy's techmoon.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
@Gtox

Looks Fantastic mate !!
Cant wait to het my hands on it
PM
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2014 21:29
@syncromesh - thanks. There were a few changes I had to make after first submitting it, but hopefully it's fine now.
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 25th Aug 2014 22:37
Not liking the doors and the textures are rather bland and uninteresting. I think the general architecture is decent, but I think this could use a lot of work before being ready for prime time. Considering you did this in an hour and a half I think that explains it. Hopefully, the preview was just a really early sneak peek?

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0071
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually I thought the textures as Default...... My first thought was to be able to change them to suit my needs....
Is that ok to do ?
PM
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2014 05:06
@Syncromesh - You can change the textures as you want to.
@tomjscott - it's a construction kit - the building itself is just a showcase.
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2014 07:55
Retextured the doorframe, to make it a little less plain.
The kit works on the same principle as the asylum/horror pack. Most of the segments will fit together using snap to grid (hit 'b' twice). If you are adding a floor on top of a ceiling segment (for a second story, for example), you will need to use page up to raise the floor segment above the ceiling segment. When it is just above the ceiling, hit 'enter' to snap it into position.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2014 13:17
Here's a very basic tutorial showing how to get entities to the correct height when placing them on top of other entities.
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2014 08:27
Added some duct segments to the pack - ducts are an FPS staple after all. I've dropped the ambience level to 25, and the individual RGB ambience levels down to about 70 - I find the default settings far too bright.
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2014 08:08 Edited at: 25th Nov 2014 09:20
Added some new floor/wall/ceiling segments, as well as another door and frame. Fixed the collision issues on the original doors.

Attachments

Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 16:31
Added a new corridor segment (some new glass corridor segments await the transparency fix before being released) as well as some walkway segments. This visuals are improved by dropping the ambient level (to between 20 and 40) and the RGB ambient levels (to around 70).

Attachments

Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2014 17:37
I've created a set of alternate textures for some of the models in this kit. The zip file also contains some new models to supplement the walkway models to give you a bit more flexibility when creating walkways (you don't need the store kit to use these extra models, but they're more useful with the rest of the walkway set). I've also thrown in a scifi crate just for the hell of it. The download link is https://www.dropbox.com/s/ykmqoyl9k0rfli9/Scifi%20conkit%20extras.zip?dl=0. There is a readme file inside the zip file with instructions on how to install.

Attachments

Duncan Peck
Years of Service
User Offline
I just brought your modern/scifi construction kit from the shop.. haven't downloaded It yet... because I'm just using a stock install of FPSC:R for the purposes of the competition... I might make a second map for the competition... but I'm looking forward to downloading and playing with this later
PM
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2014 18:19
Duncan Peck - it takes a little while to figure out the object placement tricks, but once you've got the hang of it, you can create decent sized buildings pretty quickly. The 'lock' function makes thing easier, too. A proper 3d editor would be ideal - hopefully that's still to come.
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2014 09:50
I've been testing the kit to see if enemies will move around inside buildings created with it, and I've discovered that by adding the recommended 'forcesimpleobstacle = 3' to the fpe files of floor entities, enemies will happily chase you in and out of buildings, even through doorways, but it only works on the ground floor. I'll edit the appropriate store items once TGC have come back from holidays - in the mean time, just add 'forcesimpleobstacle = 3' somewhere in fpe file (I added it under collisionmode) and it should work.
Duncan Peck
Years of Service
User Offline
Just downloaded from the store and tested it... love it! The only problem I've noticed is that some of the items names and images are mixed up in error which makes choosing the segments a bit confusing because the images and names don't always correspond to the actual segment... though this should be easily sorted... I love the quality of the pack and ease of use snapping together in grid mode. It's really excellent! If you made another pack I'd almost certainly buy it... very impressed!
PM
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2015 12:20
Thanks Duncan - which items are those? I'll have to update many of the pieces to allow AI soldiers to move around, so I could fix those at the same time. There are still a few pieces to add to the pack - some glass corridor segments. They were rejected because of transparency issues, and now I've fixed those (hopefully!), I'm waiting for TGC to get back from holidays to approve them. If there are still issues, I'll just release them free.
Duncan Peck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2015 13:12 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2015 13:18
A few models seem to have got mixed up a bit... the ones I've noticed so far:

ceiling_light_round 2 - shows a thumbnail picture of a corner piece without ceiling

duct_crossing - shows a thumbnail picture of the duct grate

duct_grate - shows a floor tile

floor_wall_window_2 shows a picture of the skyway

skyway - is the picture of the skyway door

skyway_door - is a picture of skyway_door_frame

skyway_door_frame - is a picture of some stairs

walkway_suppot corner - is a picture of a wall

wall - is a picture of wall_1_duct

wall_1_duct - don't know what the picture is, a light coloured panel?

The list probably goes on I'll try to complete it more later... but if I were you I'd check every single item over to make sure the images and the actual names and pieces of the construction kit add up correctly... I know it's a bit boring to do but it's such a shame after all your hard work in actually making the items that so many items are mixed up with the wrong thumbnail and name when on the whole the quality of your work is superb! I especially love the skyway it's really awesome!
PM
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2015 14:30
Are you sure that you don't have an entity in that folder that has no thumbnail - that messes up the order. Either that or it's a download issue, as I know I wouldn't have messed up that many . Also, the store mods would have picked it up.
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2015 14:37
If you can post a screenshot of the Entity selection screen in the Reloaded editor there's a good chance that I'll be able to spot the culprit.
Duncan Peck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2015 14:55 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2015 15:03
Maybe the problem is my end somewhere... I'm really sorry for troubling you if that is the case. Here are two screenshots showing the list in my entity library.

It's not that big a problem since the pack still works fine but it's a little confusing.. I wonder if this has affected anyone else or if it's just me this had happened to?

Attachments

PM
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2015 16:13
Looks like ceiling_light_oblong is missing a thumbnail. I'm not sure where it went to, because the store won't accept models without thumbnails. I've attached it to this post - just add it to the appropriate folder, and that should sort it out.

Attachments

Duncan Peck
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Gtox I think you will be glad to hear this... I don't think it's your fault, I think it's a bug in FPSC:R that does this;

http://fpscrforum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=210168&b=6

Sounds very much like the issue I'm having with your construction kit. Sorry for bothering you about this. I still love the pack and I'm very pleased with my purchase. Thank you.
PM
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2015 13:06
Did you add the thumbnail I attached to an earlier post? That should have worked.
Duncan Peck
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for going to the trouble to upload it and everything but I think I will leave it... I will wait for an update to FPSC:R and see if that fixes the problem. I like to leave things as they are rather than manually tamper with them. Hopefully it will be sorted when the thumbnails bug gets sorted. Thanks for your efforts anyway.
PM
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2015 05:43
If you don't want to tamper with the folder, you could try redownloading the pack (it should only download things that are missing, not the whole pack). I'm convinced that a thumbnail file is missing, and this may fix it.
Duncan Peck
Years of Service
User Offline
Your a genius! You were right that fixed it. The picture file was in there... but it had a full stop in front of the name ".ceiling_light_oblong.bmp" that was the issue... I decided to manually edit it and delete the full stop... and it's all perfect now. Thank you.
PM
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2015 17:39
I'm pleased that you fixed it - using the pack would be a nightmare with mixed up thumbnails.
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2015 15:53 Edited at: 5th Jan 2015 16:08
The windowed corridor segments have finally made it on to the store. To solve the transparency issue, you'll need to place the windows separately, and after you've placed entities visible through the windows. You'll need to use snap-to-grid to place them accurately.

Also, remember to have your entity shader set to highest, and play around with ambience level and surface level settings to get the normal maps to display correctly. Ambience level should be fairly low, with surface level higher.

Attachments

Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2015 15:03 Edited at: 9th Jan 2015 15:51
I've edited many of the files (around half) to include the 'forcesimpleobstacle =3' command (to allow enemy AI soldiers to walk around indoors). The pack should be back to full strength in a day or two.

The store no longer accepts underscores in the names, so I removed the underscores from the entity names and, even though it probably wasn't necessary, from the individual file names too. I only realised after uploading everything that there is a good chance that anyone redownloading the pack will end up with a mass of duplicate files (maybe the store download procedure will overwrite the underscored files, but I doubt it). Sorry about that!

If you do end up with duplicate files, and you are brave and meticulous, you could try deleting all the duplicate underscored files. This would be tricky business, however, as not all the entities needed editing and hence there will be files with underscores that are not duplicates, and if you start deleting underscored files willy-nilly you'll probably end up deleting something important.

A more sensible option would be to cut the folder containing the entire pack and move it somewhere else (such as your desktop) for safekeeping, and then download the whole pack again. If you've added the extra models and alternate texture files, you'll have to add them again. Sorry!
Timba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2015 13:44 Edited at: 14th May 2015 13:45
Hi Gtox, your pack is great i just have 1 little problem. Is there a single door and frame available? I want to add like an office room but i don't want to use a double door. Do you have anything like this available for your pack? I own it but maybe you have it done on as an extra?
ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | Intel Core i7 4790k | 16 GB RAM | EVGA GTX 980 SC | 120GB SSD(OS) | 512GB SSD(Programs) | 1TB WD Black(Backups) | EVGA SuperNova 1000W G1
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2015 15:21
I don't, but I could make one. Give me a day or two.
Timba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2015 18:56 Edited at: 14th May 2015 19:05
wow, than you very much. That will help me a lot. I have other doors but in other colors and don't match the walls from your pack so that will be awesome.

I also have an problem placing some of the alternate models. It's a hit and miss in my part. Some work like the door_alt but the frame for that door_frame_alt just won't work. I am placing them where all the .x files are located just like you mentioned i n the read me file. The models icons would show in the editor but when you select it nothing shows up in the editor except a small white dot.
ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | Intel Core i7 4790k | 16 GB RAM | EVGA GTX 980 SC | 120GB SSD(OS) | 512GB SSD(Programs) | 1TB WD Black(Backups) | EVGA SuperNova 1000W G1
Timba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2015 02:11
Quote: "i  also have an problem placing some of the alternate models. It's a hit and miss in my part. Some work like the door_alt but the frame for that door_frame_alt just won't work. I am placing them where all the .x files are located just like you mentioned i n the read me file. The models icons would show in the editor but when you select it nothing shows up in the editor except a small white dot."

Nevermind my quote above. I figured out the problem.
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2015 14:08
hi gtox, i have purchased this pack, thanks for an amazing set here.
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2015 14:33
Thanks Tarkus - it was a pain in the backside putting it together (making sure that all the pieces matched up was painstaking), so I'm glad you like it.
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2015 15:05 Edited at: 15th May 2015 15:07
The smaller door and frame can be downloaded here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/zvyoxuje6dcofwu/single%20door%20and%20frame.zip?dl=0 . A few things need to be noted - the frame is standard size (in order to fit in with the rest of the models), but the door and doorway are half size. For some reason, the g_Entity[e]['plrvisible'] command (used in the door.lua script) would not register as 1 (ie visible to the player) when the door is placed perfectly in the doorway (if I offset it slightly it would register as visible, but not in its perfect position). I couldn't figure out why this would be the case, so I changed the door.lua script (included in the zip file as door_small.lua) to remove the relevance of player visibility.
Placing a ceiling section above the door frame can be tricky, as the vertical snap function doesn't work here. Rather than using f9 edit mode or free flight mode (they are still not great for precise positioning), you can add a floor_wall segment somewhere in the scene, move the ceiling segment over the wall, hit enter to snap the ceiling to the correct height, then hit page down once, page up once, and it should be and stay at the correct height.
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2015 17:45
the glass floors makes an amazing floating platform section in my game, lots of glass and lights flickering make it super tricky to jump around high in the sky
Timba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2015 19:17
Awesome. thanks for the door.
Timba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2015 19:53
Gtox, you can go through the new single sliding door after it's closed. Can you take a look into it?
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2015 21:37 Edited at: 16th May 2015 21:48
You're right - I'll look into it.
Edit - It's not just the new door, the others seem to have the same problem, and it's to do with the collision mode. Open the fpe file and delete 'collisionmode =1', and that should fix it. I'll update the store models as well.
Timba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 02:01 Edited at: 17th May 2015 04:29
Well thx for that. I checked the other doors and they are fine. Only had this issue with the new door u made. Fixed now
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2015 09:20
Here are a couple of normal office doors (one wood, the other painted). There are two door frame segments, too - the first is designed to match the 'wall' segment, the second matches the 'wall 3' segment (there isn't one to match 'wall 2').
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2fz25nglemd4742/Door%20and%20frame%20standard.zip?dl=0
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2015 11:26
thanks gtox, is the store pack updated now.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, AMD HD7870 gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit.
Timba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2015 11:53
Thx. I'll check them out. I have been wanting this. Keep up the awsome work.
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2015 11:57
Tarkus - no, I haven't updated the store models, as Timba said that the other door models were fine. The door models that weren't working for me are much older models (I had a hard drive crash and got my models back from an old Reloaded installation), so unless someone has issues with the door models, I won't update.
Timba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2015 15:38 Edited at: 20th May 2015 15:45
Hi there again. I just discovered a bug with some of your glass models. So far it's only happening when you look through the doors with glass and walls with windows. The glass wall doesn't appear to be having this problem but i'm not 100% sure.

The problem is that some objects behind the glass will not show. I have attached an image file i made showing in some areas of my map. It also happens during test mode and stand alone games saves.

Also when walking on all your floors it sound like walking on metal. I'm not sure if this is related to the new GG build but can you take a look into it please?

Attachments

Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2015 17:29
The trick with glass is to place the glass objects after you gave placed the other objects - this is an issue with the way the engine renders, rather than the models.
As far as the sound goes, in the FPE file there is an entry called 'materialindex' . This determines the sound made when the player walks over the surface. Change that to whatever you feel is more appropriate. As far as I know, 0 = grass, 1 = stone, 2 = metal, 3 = wood, 4 = glass, all the way up to 18 (check the audiobank/materials folder for the full list).
Timba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2015 18:10
So you are saying to place the windows, glass walls, or glass doors last?
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2015 18:21
That's right. This is why the "corridor glass" segments have the glass entirely separate - so they can be added after everything else. As long as the glass sections are placed after whatever can be seen through them, the transparency should work.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 01:00:04
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 01:00:04