Product Chat / Performance again

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 19:58
This is what i mean when i say we need a major speed increase almost 200fps down to 8fps

PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 - 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 6GB GPU - 32GB DDR3 MEM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 22:41
For situations like this, my plan is to have a special batching system to group up the geometry being rendered, and also adjust the default 'forest spray gun' so that it perhaps sprays a little less ferociously until the user decides to make an area more dense. Finally, the only way to have THAT many trees living nicely together is clever use of QUAD billboards. The system is in the engine, but I disabled it while performance work focused on things like shader complexity and overall draw visibility. I do think QUAD billboards need to make a comeback and will show the best results in situations like this one with lots and lots of trees in the scene.

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 22:59
I think its because you sprayed a huge amount of trees.

They are really close together so you have to render all these polygons at once.
Current top of the line engines still use LOD, load and unload, and even billboard techniques.
FPSCR already has amazing performance compared to classic and its great that Lee and team are even improving it.
I tested it with terrain props and never dropped below 54 FPS.

My point is that a well running map is also skillfully optimised.

We will all see how well the final product performs...maybe you WILL be able to spray paint the whole map full of trees.

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"

"absurdity has become necessity"
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 00:39 Edited at: 14th Aug 2014 00:51
Believe it or not it wasn't that many when you got down on the ground i grant you they were all together but is that not what a woodland is :/

anyway the point was just to show we need more performance ( I hate going on about it but its something i feel isnt up to the job) what may be good for some may not be for others for example the level the Escape doesn't have that much in the level and it runs like a bag of spanners on high i say high as low looks pants.

I will wait for QUAD billboards

PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 - 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 6GB GPU - 32GB DDR3 MEM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 02:51 Edited at: 14th Aug 2014 04:39
quad billboards are certainly the way to go, unless a scene is built to be used with the Oculus Rift or whatever VR headsets may come about. (That is always in the back of my mind!)

BTW, TattieBojangle, I'm really enjoying your stress tests of the engine! I used to like doing this but it's hard for me any more to find the time. Keep up the great work!

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 03:47 Edited at: 14th Aug 2014 03:51
Performance : TattieBoJangle is correct and so is everyone else depending on your point of view.

The bottom line and truth is that Reloaded will never have enough or too much performance as is the case with any engine particularly an indie engine like Reloaded especially if you and your game players want to also have the highest possible quality games and gameplay experience. Thus any and all methods available and possible need to be employed to gain the maximum possible both by the developers, the product users and your game players.

Unless you and your game players have the very best supporting hardware and software systems, are one of the very few real game making experts who will use the product or the product is used by a larger team outside of these circles and have a vast amount of content development product support, skills and time and resources to allocate to making your games and also to optimise all facets too, then for the majority of basic users such will be beyond them and they would need the engine itself to provide internally the performance systems to allow adequate performance with what they throw at it or be governed and be at the mercy of whatever results it provides for and returns including all of the media they may use.

For the majority of non expert or professional game maker users they will rely on the engine itself, media purchased and the software and systems of all concerned to be adequate to supply sufficient performance returns during gameplay. They will simply not have any choice or no way of achieving any different in many/most instances not being experts, pros or having access to major amounts of resources of all things needed to maximise performance down to the last fps that can be squeezed out of the product by any and all means. Thats not what Reloaded is to most users. They want to make a game, buy the product and some assets and want to make a game of reasonable quality that works adequately.

The majority of Reloaded pledgers/buyers/users will need to rely upon Reloaded itself automatically supplying any optimisation techniques to enhance performance out of the box :

e.g. Object instancing of Unique entities. Load and Unload entities on the fly at game runtime. Automatic creation of LOD entities and world objects by the product internally. Portals, Zones perhaps ask a game engine developer technical expert, I am one of the non experts!

Thus Yes I agree strongly that the previously developed existing QUAD SYSTEM which existed and appeared in earlier versions should be brought back and re-introduced and at time that Lee feels it appropriate so that we can see how and if it may help if at all to boost performance and fps gameplay speeds.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 04:50:50
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 04:50:50