Product Chat / 3 days dealing with Reloaded, these are some of my impressions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 11:24
1- Terrain. It is a wonderful feature that allows you to sculpt all types of terrain and create exciting scenarios; author's imagination is the limit.
Obviously you need some adjustments, but we know that Reloaded is a machine under construction until it is completed will not be entirely useful, but it will come.

2 - Water. Another useful and necessary feature, although it would be nice to be able to create only ground in the necessary places. I mean to create a completely flat trail through the mountains without having to fight with the water.
Be able to interact with the water (swimming, diving, canoeing down a river, etc, not to mention that the player has to breathe from time to time, of course.

3- How quickly Reloaded game out of test mode.
It is most appreciated, especially when I'm working with my old Pentium 4, 512 Ram.

4 The error handling in the game test phase.
Actually I was pleasantly surprised. I'm trying to create a boreal sky, for my game; but for some reason Reloaded has refused it , so obviously it generated an error, and instead of overload pc, Reloaded manage well the error, and also restored the level as well.

5-I have noticed that a lot has changed here, and I know that the morphology of the program has changed, and now it have other needs, other priorities that must be satisfied, but at the risk of sounding repetitive, I too would want other layers to work underground, you know, a secret base alien, or area 53, why no ?
I want combine outdoor with indoor, between levels.

Congratulations to TGC for the great work, I encourage you to continue working as usual.

Regards
3com
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 13:33
Quote: " I mean to create a completely flat trail through the mountains without having to fight with the water."

Have you tried stored level mode? I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to do but it sounds like that would help.

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
More Terrain tools to come and I know what you mean... It takes Practice
Thankfully the undo feature is in the next release so that will help a lot

Water still very beta... Apparently water level sliders to come and lots more options..
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 15:24 Edited at: 12th Aug 2014 15:27
Well, I'll try to explain it better.

Asume I've 2 mountains and I want a flat trail through the those mountains, notice red arrow on pic bellow.

Using shape mode via right clic you decrease mountain level, but you get water before you get a flat terrain, since you do not won't water here you increase terrain in order to cover the undesirable water, then you get a new mountain taller than before.

Using level mode you get the same.

Using stored level you go near to resolve, but it is nor a completelly flat terrain like default one, please notice red arrow on pic bellow.

I mean that would be nice be able to unable water feature when you do not need it, but completelly flat terrain.

I do not want the player needs a ladder to climb, I want a natural ramp and then flat terrain.

Thanks all you for the tips.

3com

Edit: fixing image.
PM
Steohl72
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 19:26 Edited at: 12th Aug 2014 19:30
To make a flat natural ramp is impossible at thi stage That's way we need different brushes and smothing tool.

But it will come, sometime...

I also think the terrain editor tool lack a fine tuning tool. Like as you wrote, one click and sometimes it raise or deepens too much. I's too sensitive when fine tuning.

I'm not either totally happy with how water level works. Would be better if you woule be alble to create like water planes, that you can move and rezize. Like in Unity.

As for now all water must be on the same level. For an example, you cand have lakes on different hights.

Hardware: Intel i5 3,2 Ghz - 8 GB ram - Asus NVIDIA GTX 760 - Win Pro 7 64-bit
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 22:19
Terrain editing tools and water adjustment are both on the near-radar so you should not need to wait too long for this. For now in V1.0085 you can use the LUA commands to 'transport' the player from one location to another, so you could create a sort of 'fade out, move to secret base, fade in' effect in LUA without penetrating the terrain as such. You would obviously need an enclosed interior space to affect the illusion however!

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 15th Aug 2014 17:01
Quote: "To make a flat natural ramp is impossible at thi stage That's way we need different brushes and smothing tool.
But it will come, sometime..."
Yes you can make a flat ramp. I have showed as much in my comp level, thought it isn't flat like a floor it's got lumps and bumps as it should it real life, but you make a gradual incline
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2014 17:04
for some reason my image didn't attach You make a ramp of sorts
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2014 18:46
Quote: "For now in V1.0085 you can use the LUA commands to 'transport' the player from one location to another, so you could create a sort of 'fade out, move to secret base, fade in' effect in LUA without penetrating the terrain as such. You would obviously need an enclosed interior space to affect the illusion however!"

That sounds promising and would be a good complement for conkit.

However I am a fan of mysteries, winding roads, obstacles to be overcome if you want to continue and reach the goal,
puzzles, secret paths, hidden doors, traps, and so on. I do not want the player just killing for killing and go.
I want the player's brain from time to time be squeezed.

And when the player thinks there are no more obstacles, that's when he realizes that this is only just beginning.

For this reason I need that tool working 100%, I want penetrate those mountains and see what I can find.
Open spaces that allow me to see from afar the bad guys, I think it kill the surprise factor.

But if I do not know what will be behind that rock, uhmmm.

To be continued ...

3com
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2014 18:50
@ wizard of id

I got your point.

I thought a big ball rolling down a ramp and surprising the player, of course he has an escape route, but should be very quick to get to it.
(Tomb Raider).

3com
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2014 19:52
@3com

Thought the terrain collision is pretty good, still in development, you would be better off, creating a "ramp" mesh the big rolling rock can follow.
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2014 20:47
Mine "rolling stone" and me, we are waiting for.

3com
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 10:58:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 10:58:47