Product Chat / low frame rate

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 00:53
Not sure if this is a bug or not so feel free to move it if you feel it is one, when i stack items they fall gravity right but when they do they do not stop moving causing very low fps i expect a drop in fps as they fall but should it not go back up?

PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 - 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 6GB GPU - 32GB DDR3 MEM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 01:20
I wouldn't think there would be any increase in frame rate after they fall simply due to the fact that they NEVER stop moving. That tells me the same calculations/repositionings of the tubes are taking place over and over without end. It is interesting that even when they are no longer in view, however, it seems to still be going on, thus affecting the frame rate. I would think that is no longer necessary although I can see the need for it at times. But what do I know? I wonder if a script that would make them immobile or static or turn off physics or whatever would prevent them from moving when you're a certain distance away and therefore up the frame rate? Holy crap that's a lot of document tubes!

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 10:33
lol yea Jerry it is alot but each tube is only 100 poly it was more just to show as say it was a rock slide or something like that, anyway i waited for 30min and they were still moving lol so not sure what to make of it.

PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 - 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 6GB GPU - 32GB DDR3 MEM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
The problem lies in the physics itself. Getting objects to lie completely at rest can be awkward from my experience. Especially when several are all touching, as they constantly affect each other and never manage to get to quite lie still. So they bobble slightly and never hit the rest state. Hopefully, this will be tweaked to be far more robust of course, and may take a bit of getting right. I have no idea how the friction and surface types are handled in this, as obviously a smooth slippery object would react differently to a rough sticky object. It's doing a reasonable job at the moment, given it's automatic. There may well be more options in future to get this working more satisfactorily.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 260GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 22:13
We will be adding a 'cylinder shape' to the physics collision options soon, which will allow the object to find a rest state sooner and avoid the physics processing required. If the entities are all using box collision, which should be the case, I am surprised that they do not come to rest at some point. Can you reproduce this with stock entities? If so, can you send me the FPM file to lee@thegamecreators.com

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Not sure how many tubes are there. Cylinders can be high ploy but in this instance not sure of the number.

Whatever the ins and outs clearly given the number of entities all of the same single unique object in an otherwise empty level and looking away from the entities towards completely open empty flat terrain one should not be seeing frame rates at 9fps. Such returns would preclude building complex worlds of the scale of Reloaded anything like exist in reality.

Even in game levels that do not visually approach anything like visual reality complexity in the real world if one were to count the number of both unique and individual instances of entities in a game level its is surprising how many it can get to even as said in a relatively visually empty level. In a City for instance people, vehicles, lamp posts, street furniture, fences and so on, or even inside a single building doors windows, lifts, desks, fire extinguishers and so on.

Even in FPSC Classic I had used and exceeded 1000 entities in a single level and still get playable gameplay speeds maintained of over 30fps.

Whatever the reasons as said it should not be happening and working as it is in Reloaded or you will have no scope to build from empty level start. In a situation as in the video or any game level the Cylinders or anything else should not always be active and or impacting if they cannot be seen by the player/camera and in such instances ways of removing any such impact/influence should be found.

Not sure if its just the latest versions, its still beta and things may improve.

Users of course do need to use some judgement too in building worlds and how they design them and what they place in them and how and where so as to help. Cylinders and Spheres even more so can be a severe drain I know historically in game engines and if used should be kept to a minimum of polys given that of course affects quality of the curved surfaces.

Still seems like and in my own experience and feedback to date too Reloaded will need a lot of work and time to pass by yet before it can be said to be capable.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 11:01
Can you reproduce this with stock entities? If so, can you send me the FPM file to lee@thegamecreators.com

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 12:40 Edited at: 20th Aug 2014 14:44
This is easy to reproduce the point i am making is the barrels or whatever it is never comes to a full stop no matter how long you wait so in turn you do not get your fps back even when they find there resting point they will move the video is long but it shows you what i mean. The second video is more barrels but standing on the ground.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 12:59:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 12:59:13