Product Chat / My Curiosity about The Player in FPSC-R ?

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 14:07
Hi FPS-Folks

I would love to know, the player we are controlling in the engine ? is he/she a full modeled actor or just a pre-rendred hands with the camera and a simple polygon ?

for example, in CryEngine, we having a real character not just a per-rendred hands !! so the only thing
change, is the camera, you can check the image below to understand my point:

So does FPSC-R doing the same ? and if so, how the player look like ?
thanks.
Duncan Peck
Years of Service
User Offline
I believe at the moment it is simply a floating camera.. there is no player model as of yet. I'm sure it will all change by the time multiplayer becomes an issue...
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 15:15
Its pretty much just a rigged and animated set of forearms/hands with whatever weapon the player is using.

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
There currently isn't a third person camera. It's on our list of things to do, but it's awhile away.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 17:46
Quote: "for example, in CryEngine, we having a real character not just a per-rendred hands !! so the only thing
change, is the camera, you can check the image below to understand my point:"

Thats more rare.

Currently, you do have a "floating" camera as in most FPS Games. However, I have a fully animated player character in my old FPSC Classic game. (link) Which uses a Mod by S4real. These kinds of mods or scripts have been around FPSC:C for a long time and I'm 100% certain they will arise in reloaded too once its out.

A script will then most likely bind a camera to an animated model and have it react to keyboard commands.

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"

"absurdity has become necessity"
QatariGameDev
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 19:50 Edited at: 6th Aug 2014 19:50
@Scene Commander

Can't wait for the Third Person Feature, i hope both somehow will be connected, having a full modeled actor would be great to swap

between camera mode in the game.

@Wolf

I see, actually in Dead Island and CryEngine games, pl
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
The most cryengine games are made of CRYtech themself and they are broken and close one of their 3 studios. Call of duty has now 3 main development studios. What we learn: Nobody cares about a character, myself included. This just ruin my illusion of playing myself. (But even arms did this. Who has arms like arnold schwarzenegger sadly I didn´t)

My dream is to develope games, which makes fun when I create it and fun when other people play it.
PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 22:47
Quote: "Nobody cares about a character"

I care. I prefer 3rd person myself.

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0071
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 23:17 Edited at: 6th Aug 2014 23:17
Maybe we should change the name of FPSC to SC I thought he want a player body, not third person. For me there is a difference. I never play a first person shooter with third person sorry, so I can´t say if I prefere this. But I know that a lot of persons did not care about a player body.

My dream is to develope games, which makes fun when I create it and fun when other people play it.
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 23:33 Edited at: 6th Aug 2014 23:33
Well hate it or love it we will get it for the multiplayer but im sure they will make it so we can have best of both and change it in the options

PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 - 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 6GB GPU - 32GB DDR3 MEM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 23:36
Quote: "Well hate it or love it we will get it for the multiplayer but im sure they will make it so we can have best of both and change it in the options "

Not necessarily. It's not necessary for the player to have anything but what is already there when you go to multiplayer. Only the other players will need to see your full body. From your perspective it doesn't have to change at all.

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0071
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2014 08:43 Edited at: 7th Aug 2014 08:44
I am not sure if anybody knows what a playerbody means:

- from a modelling perspectiv: a lot of very highpoly playermodels

- from an animation perspective: a lot of animation which looks very natural from top view

- from a programmer perspective: I did not know the exact number but I think we need up to 500-1000 lines of code, what is a horror news for a programmer, because there are so many possibilities to make a mistake. The physic for the body, the colision, the performance(occuling),....

This describes it really good:

PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
To simply get a camera to follow a animated character would take less than 500 lines, in DB at least. Compared to actual AI it should be a breeze. I'd prefer the performance of the engine to be improved first though, as these sort of options are not really needed yet. Yes it would be nice to say have a mirror and see a reflection of your character for instance, or from water, or even go into 3rd person mode in some games. But the main engine needs to be faster yet really, before we add more extra stuff. We will get some new toys with the hot fix, along with some (okay not so incredible as yet) zombies to play about with.
Certainly though at some point it would be nice too, if not an entire body, but at least actions for opening doors, draws, cupboards etc. Also, especially with Zombies, a proper grappling system where enemies can grab you and such would be better than the standard get close and swing wildly seen up to now.
I think now TGC has added a few more things, and with the object importer and construction kit being worked on again, that time will be spent on more speed improvements, and crucially bug fixes. I'm sure we would all like a more fluid game experience from our creations and more stability would be much welcomed, for those of us who push Reloaded to it's limits and break it often.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 260GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2014 12:54
Quote: "I am not sure if anybody knows what a playerbody means:"

s4real has implemented that almost flawlessly in old FPSC. I don't see a reason why the same system couldn't be adapted in reloaded and why it should have flaws. Also: If you don't like the concept, you don't have to use it
I like a well animated player body Especially if you can see new gear on it once you equip it.

Quote: "I see, actually in Dead Island and CryEngine games, players can see their feets and feel he is actually a person more than just a guns and a static arms, which Crappy Of Duty got it this way. "

I prefer that too and am confident to have it in my game at one point. Again, I know the community well enough to trust that we will have these features sooner or later.

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"

"absurdity has become necessity"
QatariGameDev
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2014 17:30
@Corno_1

Benefit of having a full modeled actor into FPS Game:

1- Swap Camera Option for the player between the game modes First View or Third View !!
2- More options for the action sequences, for example try to play FarCry or Crysis, you will see
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2014 21:07
There will be some need for a full body simulation for the player when Ravey starts the multiplayer work, though we will be some way off 'officially' supporting Third Party gaming. In the interim I will be focusing on the remaining core features of single player, visual and performance improvements and the bugs as they come in. I feel it's important we get the first person perspective done correctly before expanding to other perspective styles for third person, racing, top-down, isometric and puzzle styles of game (though I am sure these will arrive organically as we intertwine concepts).

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 14:47:38
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 14:47:38