3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Trouble with Milkshape settings and LOD

Author
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2014 05:15 Edited at: 10th Apr 2015 22:19
Greetings guys,I have a decent understanding for the LOD system, I just can't get it to work for me. I have older models that I got to work fine it's just anything I create new crashes the engine with the error saying the .fpe is bad witch I know not to be true. I did just get a new comp and I believe I've loaded everything I need to on it as reloaded works great. It just doesn't like any new models I make with milkshape. Are there some settings in milkshape I'm missing? Any help would be great./

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2014 21:06 Edited at: 10th Apr 2015 22:20
Just wondering if anybody has had success using milkshape3d for LODs. any help would be great Even if it just means using a different modeler to export. Suggestions?

Attachments

Go Devils
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2014 03:19
Hi Disturbing

I've had great luck with MilkShape and Reloaded, both static models and even basic animation models. What happens when you try to load the ".X" file exported from MilkShape into reloaded?

Go Devils

"There is no Spoon"
Conjured Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2014 04:07 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2014 04:09
I haven't tried using LOD in reloaded yet, so I can't offer any help for that.

Quote: "I've had great luck with MilkShape and Reloaded, both static models and even basic animation models."

I have not been so lucky getting animations to work using Milkshape or FragMotion.

Will you please share with us what settings you are using when exporting???

Thanks in advance

Go Devils
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2014 05:56
OK, I must admit that I'm not sure about your use of the term LOD.

Complete your model and texture in MilkShape.

Make sure that your texture file is in the .DDS format, using the texture name concluded with _D.dds (Texture01_D.dds)
The Texture file size must also be in a 4X size... 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, etc. (512 x 1024, or 1024 x 1024, or 128 x 256)
In creating the DDS file say yes to mipmaps, and use XT1 basic compression.
Also, make sure that your texture file is resident in the proper file folder in Reloaded's File system before you open it in MikeShape. I had problems with doing the texture from a different folder.

OK, all is ready for export. You can use either of the Direct X export modules. I use the Direct X (JT) exporter. With a static model, make sure that "Retained Mode" is selected, that the position size is reset to 1.0, (default is 0.10 not good) and animations are turned off. Save the file.

Now go to the Reloaded file folder where the texture and .X file are located. Create a simple FPE file and your model should load into Reloaded.

Note, that the height level of the model in MilkShape will transfer to the entity's position when launched into Reloaded. So adjust your model accordingly before you export.

OK, so that's the bear bones. Does any of this help?

Go Devils

"There is no Spoon"
Go Devils
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2014 04:02 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2014 04:09
@Conjured

Animation Settings out of Milkshape

OK, so if you have created your joints, and tested your animation in Milkshape, you next need to set-up the Direct X (JT) exporter.

The attached image shows the needed Export settings... Note m

Attachments

Conjured Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2014 05:32 Edited at: 4th Aug 2014 05:34
Thanks for the help.

It ended up being a bad FPE. Not sure why, but I took out the collisionmode that I had in there and tried it, then put it back in and tried it again and it worked. Maybe it was a typo or the return was flakely, but deleting one line then putting it back in fixed my problem.

I was using the door script for testing too.

Quote: "The door.lua script requires that the player has collected the KEY. Be sure that the USEKEY = KEY is part of your FPE as above."

Figured that out when playing with the animated doors like the church doors. That FPE was missing the USEKEY = KEY and did not work until I put it in. Discovered that when comparing that FPE to the chainlink gate's FPE, which I knew was working.

I am using my own script from scratch now for the animation and it is working fine so far. That bad FPE file had me baffled because it was written write, just corrupted somehow. That is why nothing I did to change the export settings on the model made any difference. I was getting fed up with it to say the least. Thanks again for the help.

Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2014 07:02 Edited at: 7th Aug 2014 07:27
@Go Devils_ I appreciate the help, but that's not exactly what I mean. I can import a model just fine, It's just when I try to make an LOD model that the level crashes. I'll explain LOD. If you have the FPSCReloaded Crypt model you will know what I mean.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 13:39:33
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 13:39:33