Product Chat / The multiplayer debate

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 09:59
Regarding land mines, if we can trigger explosions via LUA then we can make our own landmines, of we get the ability to trigger an explosion via lua then I will even make one and upload for free use.

Seeing as we now have explosions would this be easy to add?

PC Specs: Windows 7 home 64-bit, Amd 7900 3gb DDR5 graphics, 8gb DDR3 Ram, Intel i7 3.4ghz

Feel free to visit and edit the public FPSCR resource wiki page: http://fpscrresource.wikispaces.com/home
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 10:40 Edited at: 20th Jul 2014 10:43
I'm making a list today of all requested features for a strategy meeting this week, we'll start prioritising then and sorting into easy/medium/hard/2 years work! or similar.

Regarding landmines, as well as allowing them to be placed, we envision them as proximity flak that could be applied to a grenade type weapon. So grenade/missle weapons could be instant explode/timed or proximity detonation, maybe even sticky flak. We don't like the idea of half features (although we admit we've got some.). so if we commited to landmines (as an example) we would want all of the above.

We'll have more news for you all on development plans in a couple of weeks. so please take the above as ramblings rather than fact.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
TazMan
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 11:22
I agree with what the majority of you are saying here, there is far too much to do at the moment to be looking at this and I would much rather see 3rd person arrive in the software before Mulitplayer.

Saying that I think that there is a lot to do before either of these are discussed. I for one am enjoying the way that FPSCR is growing and I don't think that too big a jump is a good idea, remember what happened when TGC tried to do too much to please everyone

I've got something to say

----

It's better to burn out than fade away.
BlackFox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 15:12 Edited at: 20th Jul 2014 15:26
As a long time user of Classic (and still developing with it), I can draw from the classic side of things to use as reference to debate the pro's and con's of MP addition. Ultimately, I would draw from my experience as a programmer/developer and say that TGC would ultimately know when best to implement such a feature. They have the road map, they know what needs to be done, they would know (as do I with some of our current projects) that in order to add item H, they may need to jump ahead to insert item K, then fall back to E to ensure it works, then proceed to item H. In a perfect world, we would get everything we want at once. In reality, it does not go according to plan, let alone all at once. I would also add that it is not exactly easy on the part of TGC to "fix" an issue that arises, as we have seen many times how some people have "issues" while others have not. Systems are so diverse (as are the users and their knowledge/skills) that it can become quite frustrating to track something that does not make sense or cannot be replicated.

For the hobbyist(s), I can see where MP addition might be the selling point. They want to get something made and spread around their group of people to have some fun. For the developer(s) (developers in this instance refers to people like myself that do this for a living), the MP addition would also be a benefit, but in order to make it successful, it needs to work proper. To implement a feature whilst a core function is struggling would start the snowball effect of a project becoming less and less useful and people getting frustrated and migrating to something else that works. In our case, MP would be something good to try out, but it is not a necessity at our current time frame. When we reach that point and it is ready, then we can attempt it. But let's be sure it works to what it should be at and does not break some key item in the core. There is nothing worse as a developer when you spends months on a development, see the light at the end of the tunnel after 6+ months, build said development only to discover multiple issues. Not all of us have a large development team, and having to ditch a development because of issues is costly and takes food off our table.

If drawing more users to the software is the primary goal, then one would need to ensure each feature added works properly and has not affected a previous item. Otherwise you risk drawing people to a product only to discover it does not work as intended and word of mouth spreads fast nowadays on the net. Forget about the David vs Golioth analogy- that is a moot point. I've seen games from earlier years that are still widely regarded far more than current games, and they were made on systems using less graphics. Everything depends on the person's need- the developers that make games for a living and their target audience; the hobbyists that make games for their target audience or usage; the programmers that create the tools we use to do what we like to do. While we are only using the tools we have purchased, we have to rely on the fact that TGC's team would know when a feature is best implemented at what stage in order to not make a release unstable and cause major backlash.

Quote: "I'd also like to add to Shaky's list, and say that TGC needs to (re)clarify their Gold Pledge info....and take out the bit about Gold Pledgers getting Alpha Cadences every few weeks; with non-gold pledgers getting a new beta build once every month or so. That simply isn't true anymore, as everyone gets the latest build when it's ready; whether you've paid for gold or for bronze. I imagine the Steam Community is going to zero in on that little tid-bit. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't already been brought up, by someone other than me. Be straight-forward and factual."

I agree with KeithC's assessment on this. This was one area that really frustrated us as purchasers/customers. You really should be straight-forward and factual; clear and concise. If you need to change something you made a commitment on, then amend it to be clear so there are no misconceptions. As an example. if you say "can build 50 levels", then know *exactly* what that means. Having to either scrap a development or come up with a workaround to build 10 levels on a product because the product can't do what you advertise renders your statement false. If a user has to spend large amounts of time scouring a forum for answers to a problem or has been told to "Google it" regarding an issue that should not have been allowed to happen in the first place (or could have been fixed ahead of time), then you risk losing future sales from that user. If he/she have ten plus people they know with the same issue and they decide to "vote with their feet" and move to another engine, now you just lost more sales. Use classic as an example- don't let this product follow history where people were told they need to "upgrade" their version to fix, because I can attest straight out that was false in some cases. Take your time and do it right, don't cave to the masses that want every feature added now (right now) because they think it is best. It is your road map, you follow what you know works, adjust along the way.

For us, we have gotten to where we are at using classic and did good. We wait until this product is done and will give it a full workout. At best, we would use it to make a development (regardless of what gets added when- we would not be using it for a development until it was 100% ready to do so); at worst, we lost the investment and move on. So MP is not a "make it or break it" for us- it falls into the category of "better to have it and not need it" than "need it and not have it" and need to switch to something that does have it and start the development all over.

PS. Hey Uman!! I am not sure, but I did a word count and almost tied you Kidding, just had to poke at you

PSS One thing to add with the "clear and concise" portion- upgrades. You release this product so we developers/hobbyist have the full tool to make our developments, then you come up with an upgrade to address an issue or add something (like you did in past). Let's be sure the information is concise as far as upgrades, meaning if we have to restart a development once upgrading then make that well known or if the development can be used in an upgrade then let that be known. I cannot begin to count how many times issues from the classic side were reported and a lot of them stemmed from the fact that people were taking projects from an older version and working in a new upgrade. Make it crystal clear so that the onus is on the user, not on TGC to try and fix the problem that really was not theirs to fix in the first place. That takes time away from your (TGC) road map and causes you to divert assets onto something which then delays your goals as well.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
BlackFox,

Hope you and Mrs Fox and the family are well Nice to see you post.

Well I read your post word for word of course. Thanks for that and cant fault that.

Yes you must be careful you don't get accused of posting "Too" much as I often do by those who may not be interested, cant be bothered in or like reading such long posts even if they contain possibly or potentially valuable and helpful comment.

Not sure you can keep up with me or two posters such like could be accommodated without these boards exploding minds. Pay no heed if anyone does not wish to read a post they can simply ignore it and potentially lose any valuable information contained within it.

A matter of individual choice.

Anyway again nice to here from you and receive your input here which like everyone elses is most welcome.

Keeping it short, see you next time.

YashaX
Years of Service
User Offline
I just want to add that I am pretty happy with the vote for features results (thus far). It has content creation tools like the character creator and construction kit at the top, then multiplayer- and easy media importing.

Getting those easy content creation tools in will likely be a big part of what differentiates this game engine from the likes of Unreal and Unity, while MP will be one of the big features that can help build a community and of course give anyone interested in making MP games a reason to buy it (and you absolutely have to be able to easily get your media into the game engine to create original content- apart from importing animated characters and the like, I am assuming we will be able to bring new textures/models into the construction kit/terrain editor/ and character creator.)

Also I noticed some people have suggested in this thread that MP is something more wanted by "hobbyists" while "developers" are not that interested in it. This is just speculation, I could well say the opposite. In fact it seems like it would be an awesome tool to develop interesting MP games, depending on the implementation of MP and supporting systems.
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2014 11:32
I skimmed the thread to get the gist (too little time to read every line alas), but I can say I am pushing Ravey to finish the importer for V1.009 and that if MP is worked on, it will not detract from the core development. I have a goodie bag of tasks to complete for V1.009, some will make it, some will not, but you will be pleased with the update. It's also a possibility we may split up the build so you get something sooner (so V.009/010/011 instead of a huge 009). The main reason we looked at MP was for the Steam launch, and I agree with some of the comments above that releasing Reloaded to Steam without basic multiplayer would be a risk. Thanks to V1.008 and the demo, we've been able to work on those all important missing core features that would allow a user to create a finished standalone level (my beginning, middle and end shape) so now the challenge is to get the magnifying glass out and look closer at the elements we have today, and certain things are popping out such as performance, visual fidelity, game fluidity, lack of content, and so forth. All these problems will be answered my working on the demo, and by extension the benefits of those improvements will migrate naturally to any game created with Reloaded. There will always be a 'dubious' list of features which some users will want and other will not, but if we can all agree on the features everyone needs, they we'll be heading in the right direction. I don't think many of you would argue with getting more performance, better visuals and more assets into the next build

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Im kind of beginning to realise that maybe the small updates like V.009/010/011 as Lee states would be the better a option for us all as any real problems could be jumped on right away and dealt with...

It could be good for everyone
PM
Imchasinyou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2014 11:51 Edited at: 29th Jul 2014 11:54
Smaller updates would definitely have every one feeling like they didnt wait so long for the next update. If this is done, aside from performance, visuals and assets. Some of the pretty features could possibly be added that might also help squelch some of the ramblings. Particle effects, decals for fire, smoke and the like and directional lighting would definitely be great additions sooner than later for me. Ive noticed last night when i was playing with somethings that no matter what I did with the controls, I couldnt get the actual light coming from the sun/moon to change. Is there something im missing or is this not yet controllable? Ive set the ambient to its lowest setting, brought the other sliders down to reduce the light on the ground and the light from the sun/moon was still very bright for what I was trying to accomplish.

Would the updates still be labeled as 1.009/10/11 ect? Or would they be similar to the hotfix we had? Not that it matters I was just wondering. . . .

I am a very blunt person. I have NO filters in communication. I say exactly what I think and feel. If you think im being abrasive, its probably a personal problem because usually, Im not. Win 7 64, AMD T1100 Thuban cooled by Thermaltake, 16GB GSkill Ripjaws series 10-9-9-9, 4 HDD's Saphire 6950 Flashed with 6970 Bios and all powered with Corsair CX750M
PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 4th Aug 2014 20:10
I was not interested in multiplayer at first, but with new features in 1.008 and coming in 1.009 plus the stuff I've been working on with my contest entry and Omega Core, I am starting to think this could be very cool. If anyone is interested in getting MP sooner than later, add your voice to my Omega Core survey. I am thinking about doing a MP prototype that we could have working really soon. And I'm going to need testers if I get enough support for doing this.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6J579MW

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0071
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 17:01
I've gotten very few responses to my survey so far, but multi-player and GUI are tied for firt on which feature I will fully develop next in Omega Core. Multi-player supporters should step it up and vote now. I'm working mainly on GUI at the moment so it'll take a little persuasion to get multi-player going earlier.

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0071
Kalle801
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2015 23:41
Voted!
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2015 00:31
Umm yep... Might be a bit late this is a very old thread, last post before your post is August last year
PC Specs: Windows 7 home 64-bit, Amd 7900 3gb DDR5 graphics, 8gb DDR3 Ram, Intel i7 3.4ghz
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2015 00:33
I am honestly surprised it even allowed that post to be placed that far after another.
Sounds like a forum bug to me, I will check.

lol.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2015 01:35
Yeah I believe the polls have long been closed on this one, LOL, but you gotta admit multiplayer would make for a nice feature!
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2015 02:36
Always the funny guy. Thanks.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 01:24:14
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 01:24:14