Product Chat / The multiplayer debate

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 02:35
Hey all,

Thought I would start this as I have seen good arguments for and against getting this done early and thought it would be best if we could localize these arguments to one board. Anyway my 2 cents on it

I would think that if we could have a multiplayer system in place before thebsteam release then that would be something that could excite steam users into pledging. A simple to use multiplayer system sounds very appealing to a lot of people and I thinknifndone early may allow plenty of time to have it right before unleashing onto steam.

PC Specs: Windows 7 home 64-bit, Amd 7900 3gb DDR5 graphics, 8gb DDR3 Ram, Intel i7 3.4ghz

Feel free to visit and edit the public FPSCR resource wiki page: http://fpscrresource.wikispaces.com/home
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 02:38
I vote against it until very late in the development cycle if at all. It's personally not something I care for or need in any way. And I know multiplayer is a massive undertaking in itself.

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0071
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 02:50
Quote: "And I know multiplayer is a massive undertaking in itself."

So is building a game engine, but they're doing it! For my 2 cents, I have never played a multiplayer game outside of a friend running the other controller! I can see the attraction of it, though, and I've read many of the user's comments on Steam. Tough crowd. It might be helpful to have that in place prior to the Steam release, however, it had better work! Bug-free! (an old professor of mine once said there was no such thing as a bug-free program; he even believed "Hello World", in any language, had at least one bug, it's just that nobody has run across it yet)

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
Imchasinyou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 03:31
I dont think it should even be considered at all at this point. There is wayyyyyy to much that needs done, fixed, implemented and brought to current standards.

I am a very blunt person. I have NO filters in communication. I say exactly what I think and feel. If you think im being abrasive, its probably a personal problem because usually, Im not. Win 7 64, AMD T1100 Thuban cooled by Thermaltake, 16GB GSkill Ripjaws series 10-9-9-9, 4 HDD's Saphire 6950 Flashed with 6970 Bios and all powered with Corsair CX750M
PM
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 03:36
If at all?

I'm sorry but as someone who plays many many fps games I thoroughly believe that multiplayer is a major part of that, sure single player games are OK and fun for a while but.multiplayer is replay ability and keeps a game alive look at games like battlefield and call.of duty, single player campaign is practically second to multiplayer experience.

If its not at all then you almost may as well stop the program and name it single player game creator because like I said (especially network based places like steam) multiplayer is a MAJOR Part of fps games. As a gamer myself I my play time would be 10% single player, 90% multiplayer. Remember you could never match the AI of another player through scripting

PC Specs: Windows 7 home 64-bit, Amd 7900 3gb DDR5 graphics, 8gb DDR3 Ram, Intel i7 3.4ghz

Feel free to visit and edit the public FPSCR resource wiki page: http://fpscrresource.wikispaces.com/home
Imchasinyou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 05:05
Im not saying no, Im saying that there are more important things that need done first before working on that.

I am a very blunt person. I have NO filters in communication. I say exactly what I think and feel. If you think im being abrasive, its probably a personal problem because usually, Im not. Win 7 64, AMD T1100 Thuban cooled by Thermaltake, 16GB GSkill Ripjaws series 10-9-9-9, 4 HDD's Saphire 6950 Flashed with 6970 Bios and all powered with Corsair CX750M
PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 05:09
I was the one who said "if at all," but not really because I don't want it ever. Just emphasizing how far down on the list I think it should be at this point. So, yeah I know multiplayer is important for FPS. For me, I'm not really using this to create FPS games so that's why my opinion is a little extreme. Although I could definitely see a cool use for a small multiplayer team-up in an RPG adventure game using this.

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0071
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
We've found that multi-player is one of the most requested features, so I think we'll be giving that a fair amount of attention soon (Nothing is set in stone of course at this point). We understand that some users have different priorities, but if we choose to focus on MP it will lead to single player additions by default.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 11:33 Edited at: 17th Jul 2014 12:10
how about getting all the other features mentioned before in place, multi player game is great but if you have a rubbish engine with hardly any world or characters or near impossible enemy character placement ALL YOUR KIDDIES WILL LEAVE.

i think you ae going to shoot yourselves in the head wth multiplayer and and steam. and your taking us down with you.

RUN BEFORE YOU WALK? IN OTHER WORDS MAKE A PROMISED WORLD GAME CREATOR BEFORE JUMPING TO OTHER LONG TERM PROJECTS.

YOU HAVE NO

SWIMMING OR UNDERWATER WORLD

INVENTORY

DECENT LIGHTING SYSTEM

WAY TO GET CHARACTERS INTO THE ENGINE

WEATHER OR NIGHT DAY

PERFORMANCE FOR IT

HOWE ABOUT THE APPARENTLY 1000S OF READY MADE SCRIPTS?

SERIOUSLY SORT IT OUT BOYS

calmed down a bit now but still very frustrated

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
Imchasinyou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 12:02
Easy now son. Screaming and stomping your foot isnt going to get them to see the light. If they choose to go with MP and rush to steam, they will quickly realize the mistake. They seem to be rushing to steam for the money to bring in more money for additions of artists and or coders?!. yes, i understand the need for money. Seeing the numbers that came from the Kick Starter a private donor and the money that came from Backers and the number of ppl that joined the efforts, where did it all go? TGC needs to lighten their load, pick a flag ship, end the other programs and get serious about the engine.

PM
J0linar
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 12:11
Why do we even need to discuss this? Look at the voting system, multiplayer is one of the most voted features and the other most wanted features are already in the works, fpscr needs this to go on. The best thing is that by adding/ starting multiplayer now we will get some more interesting stuff for the singleplayer. Its 2014 and a Engine without multiplayer cant even compete on the market, ofc it will be difficult but thats the way it is and we cant start demanding tgc to go back and add feature x to feature x, there are plenty more ppl who pledged and its time that TGC starts to work at the feature list items.

http://j0linar.blogspot.co.at/

PC SPECS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7-3630QM 4.8GHz CPU, Nvidia GTX 675M - 2048MB GPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 12:15 Edited at: 17th Jul 2014 12:25
lee fella, see sense finish the world system first

you dont even have melee working or soo many other things.

i already quit twin worlds now i will be 90 before the world system is looked at, by which point they will of started another 50 unfinished projects

FINISH THE MECHANICS OF A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER BEFORE THE 2 PLAYER

jolinar i hear what you say but the priority seems to of been finish the world first, mp was not even on the agenda till recent

not going back, it is finishing the basics and adding the what should be already in.

HOW LONG TO MAKE IT MP?

also the choosing is very chosen, where is the vote for weather or for water system etc etc. so it is steered with no other options but what they decided

The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 12:41 Edited at: 17th Jul 2014 12:46
The most important issue here, as with almost everything is money!

The cost to TGC is high they have a team of 6 people related to FPSCR directly and 3rd party developers and artists that do work from time to time. That all costs a lot, it is not sustainable to simply add features on and on without reaching a larger distribution network. If you want TGC to get things done faster then there needs to be more devs and more devs cannot come without more money!

You need to look at the wider picture, there are systems on steam that are far less done than FPSCR and people still buy them and help support the development.

I know for a fact that Multiplayer is not in the internal development list at least for a few months! But steam definitely is! This can all change of course as you have seen in the past TGC will shift focus if enough users ask for it.

You are doing the right thing discussions the pros and cons but please keep it calm and collected and lets not have a shouting match.

I do not personally see the need for multiplayer right now, for example the core of the engine needs some work and the internal plans reflect this from what I can see.

If people want more performance tell us! If you want more graphics... tell us It is a community project and after 1.008 (soon) TGC will try to accommodate as many requests as possible.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 12:49 Edited at: 17th Jul 2014 12:59
sorry next i just spent a long time creating for my game and seeing lots of times assets meaning to go in being cast aside for other bits. i accept change but maybe i backed the wrong engine with wanting a skyrimesque type game, well since day one i been asking for weather and proper water for underwater scenes etc. most importantly i have loads of none humanoid creatures animated and waiting for insrting, but you cant do that, then melee we cant punch stab slash hack or kick etc, then projectile arrows and stuff, ability to create magic systems etc, loads of things

barter and inventory was up on the list along with hundreds of ready made scripts, i ampatient, but each time i feel we are getting close to doing a bit of what i am waiting for they go and jump onto something else and my essentials go back and back and back, so as i said i may leave this as a bad job as it is a fps not a skyrim fallout type

The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 12:57 Edited at: 17th Jul 2014 13:01
No I don't believe you have backed the wrong engine, FPSCR has the potential there to create an large world game that is beautiful and great fun to play, it just takes time, the momentum of the engine has sped up a lot recently the first few months where very slow with just Lee on the engine.

At the moment TGC are moving along sorting things that need sorting and the community do a great job of providing feedback on the engine as it goes. Don't stop making threads like this as this is what tells TGC how everyone feels.

However that being said you need to realise that TGC have a team that works really hard but is small! So they do need to focus on one area at a time and neglect others. If you think that the next release should focus solely on one area get a thread up and get people to support the idea and I am sure Rick, Lee and everyone else will add that to the list.

The engine will however have to go on steam soon as like I said a larger distribution platform is what gets the engine extra money and as a result more development hours.

Please don't lose sight that games like Skyrim have teams of 100+ people on them with huge budgets and take over 3 years to create and that was with an engine already mostly written. TGC are writing the whole engine from scratch and with a team of 3 guys actually coding the engine parts, that is not bad at all in my books.

Hope that answers a lot of the questions

PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 13:02
it does, i know the schematics of it, i have waited and know they have lots on my gripe is mp will take months of work and that is then going tobe vehicles and stuff, barter and inventory and the like will maybe be forgotten. i will start a thread up

The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 13:03
As I said Multiplayer isn't on the list yet and TGC haven't as far as I can see said that it is next

PM
Imchasinyou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 13:32 Edited at: 17th Jul 2014 13:37
My point here is that pushing to steam has more potential for damage than good. Sure money will flood in at first but will soon fall off drastically when the reviews start to hit.

The graphics are sub par compared to any engine on steam, the world part is sub par, the animations are ok but not great the characters are lacking everything. We can't even use our characters and it's difficult to use third party models.

I'd propose that TGC put up a real poll page that lists functions and features and then we will see what the community thinks.

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
If I am correct the first beta was around November 2013 ( around 8 months ago )
I don't think its at all unreasonable that we do not have multiplayer yet and that other things need priority first...

For me its still infancy but things are moving really fast now and what's been added this last month is a pretty impressive list.
I don't thing we have to wait to long for MP to be worked on ..
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 13:39
Quote: "I am correct the first beta was around November 2013 ( around 8 months ago )"

it was all go ahead a year before the first release, check the first blog, he was to start beginning of 2013.

so 1 year in january plus 6 months equals 1 and a half years wait till now

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Like I said....If I am correct Wasn't absolutely sure
However things seem to be progressing fast now so I still think it wont be to long..
PM
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 17:32
I started this thread so everyone could put up their opinions. And I'm sorry to say that some mayread this and then decide not too as they feel it may upset someone or they will simply be told they are wrong because someone else feels they are right.

What I'm getting at is please everyone just calmly place your argument (for or against) and don't get upset when others post the other side of the story.

I am guilty of this myself and I apologize.

smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
i think it depends how much attention it recieves and how much hassle it causes, if multiplayer can be added for some quick and easy "run around pvp" without lots of port forwarding etc then sure add it as it'll add a lot of fun and allow people to make much more interesting games much much faster as pvp doesnt require anywhere near as much effort (COD anybody? ) but if it's going to take away loads of development time and delay other important things (which wouldn't take as long to implement) then i feel it can wait, you're making good progress on the single player stuff, would be a shame to now have to wait ages for some more much needed functions

i don't think anyone expects a fully working, all sparkles multiplayer experience but some basic 2 - 4 player death match type stuff would add a lot of variety to the engine's potential

life's one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 19:16
au i was also guilty but it was not at anyone just blurting out, i know all have an opinion and hence a great debate, i just fear that all rpg and world elements will get brushed aside till 2015 or further, due to once on steam it will be high demands from all for mp then vehicles then this and that, and the other things may get left. that is my worry, i am all out of angst now and have ceased my wip for now till iknow what is a more solid plan. if it shys away from things that make my game possible then i will call it a day till they come in

tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 19:18
science boy, I sent you a PM regarding elements you need. A lot of that is possible now and much more very soon just with coding extensions. So, don't give up the ship just yet. We don't have to wait on TGC for everything.

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 19:21
read you loud and clear im onboard

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 21:00
Some good points of view here, keep them coming! As I have stated through the project, this is a community inspired development and if we get enough voices saying A, then A it is. Sounds like a lot of anti-MP messages coming through, which is a surprise to me given it's high ranking on the vote board and the general move towards more social gaming experiences. We have our hands full with V1.008 and V1.009 and a meeting is scheduled at the conclusion of these builds so we can discuss your feedback on this and related issues. For the Steam release, one thing we got clarity on is that we will NEVER beat the triple-A titles in the short term, it's David vs Goliath and no amount of wishful thinking will change those odds. The conclusion was that we provide an offering you simply cannot compare to these titles, placing an emphasis on creativity, empowerment and having a great time in the process. It's by making these aspirations easily accessible we will carve a place for ourselves on Steam, not by waging war on the best FPS games of the day One day, perhaps we will land a couple of cheeky sucker punches on the big boys, and why not, but for today we are listening to the breeze and making decisions that keep the project rolling forward.

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 21:06
Quote: "it's David vs Goliath and no amount of wishful thinking will change those odds."

Interesting analogy, but if you know your Bible history, and I do, David won that battle despite the odds. With God on his side it was a slam dunk.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
There are far too many small but necessary features needing to be completed before MP can be introduced, the problem with a Steam release is that this will bring on board a large number of users who have no idea what is really necessary for a game creaction suite and will sway voting in favour of things that they want and will then whine about things being missing because their demands for 'fun' are being met at the cost of implementing these.

Some of us have been around here a long time and some may have experience of other engines and game design, I don't want to see these voted out of the picture by huge numbers who simply don't have a clue.

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...
shakyshawn8151
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 23:41
Multiplayer... alot to be said about multiplayer, and I dont think TGC is ready for it. its not a COD game making software. when I say that I mean not everyone using reloaded wants TDM Multiplayer, there is MMO multiplayer,PVP multiplayer, Open world mutiplayer, Co-op mutiplayer. asking for mutiplayer would ruin FPSCR if it isn't done correctly. this is why I dont want multiplayer right now, but at the same time if reloaded didnt have multiplayer in the future it would crush reloaded. there NEEDS to be support for the users to pick what kind of multiplayer experience they want there players to have, only a FEW games need tdm. having the same multiplayer for every game would make ever game seem like a repeat and boring really fast. It would be like replaying the same game with different gun etc. those that keep asking for a rushed multiplayer (no offense) are not thinking clearly, making a multiplayer that a user can customize to a T is not anywere near an easy task, there for, it is an horrible idea to add multiplayer so soon, most users can barly push 30fps let alone multiple people in one world. Let them work on optimization first.

------Dead of Night----- Open World Zombie Horror!!

Youtube/ShakyShawn8151 > 10k Subs Celebration
shakyshawn8151
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 00:05
Also Since I have alot of experience in steam. I know how 75% of its members react to certain things.... Putting this on steam WILL generate alot of money to help in its aid.

I have saw games rise from the bottom of the greenlight to the top of the top rated list in a day. then when it got released steam was forced to refund users because the Dev lied about everything.

FPSCR will survive the steam launch if these parameters are met. I guarantee it.

1. DONT make the mistake of saying what you have coming in the future before you say what you have now!!!

2. Make clear multiple times that this product is in beta and that they are backing to support development.

3. DO NOT (I MEAN DO NOT) Price Gold membership above $60!!!!!! I say that because the max you can have on steam is around $450.
I constantly run analytic's on products above $60 and most of them tank and fail. (specifically the other game engines)

4. Honesty will win most user's over.

5. Do not say that you can make First person shooters. with this engine you can make more than FPS. you can make role playing,adventure,horror survivial etc. The engine will be looked at by more than the FPS community. which surprisingly there is not a huge FPS community on steam as there used to be. The FPS community is mostly on origin now.

These are the tip's I can give from being on steam for a long time. Like i said, I have seen alot of products win over the steam community and I have saw alot of them fail. Another quick tip I can give is to not copy an idea from another engine.

Before I got I will say the last tip of all that will win over alot of users as well..

when uploading pics to the steam store page show more in-game playing, than dev-side editing in the editor. but do not leave out the editor.
To many editor pic's will scare off alot of people.

------Dead of Night----- Open World Zombie Horror!!

Youtube/ShakyShawn8151 > 10k Subs Celebration
Imchasinyou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 01:06
I have to disagree with your list there shawn. Why am I going to back the engine with 100 when a new person can come in and only pay 60? i would want my money back to even the field. The engine is based on FPS games, not anythign else. Thats why its called FPSC-R. Its true that you can do more but a name change would be in order to do as you suggest. The FPS community is as large as it has been, slightly smaller but we are still here. My Call of duty black ops servers are online and full almost all the time. Giving a clear outline to whats possible now and the future plans are going to negate the refunds.

YOU push for RPG game play from the FPS creator. Possible but its not going to be the focus for the engine and should not be. Its your opinion that a FPs engine should be a RPG engine.

Just ewanted to clear that up so others arent confused.

PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 01:20 Edited at: 18th Jul 2014 01:20
It should be noted that the dev team themselves have said very clearly that they want FPSC-R to be for more than just FPS games and that they want to see other styles and genres. But that their focus for development at this moment is the FPS experience. That being said, my game is RPG/Adventure and works quite nicely in the current beta build.

The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 08:19
It is more likely that FPSCR will stand for First Person Simulator as it is no longer just targeted at shooters.

PM
Imchasinyou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 11:31
Quote: "It is more likely that FPSCR will stand for First Person Simulator as it is no longer just targeted at shooters."

And that would make complete and total sense.

PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 14:21
Until we add 3rd person control as well. I need just 3-4 new lua commands and I can build one.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 14:53 Edited at: 18th Jul 2014 14:54
Some very useful feedback here, and I think some that has surprised us. I'll keep a close eye on this for the next few days, so keep the feedback coming.

SC

Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 15:40 Edited at: 18th Jul 2014 16:08
I am and always have been a supporter of multi player since FPSC EA and other forms of user game interaction to as wide a possible audience. e.g. different platforms.

However in the case of Reloaded I don't see it as a priority personally.

Whatever the issues from a commercial aspect TGC face that's not quantifiable to me as an indie game maker who uses a game maker engine to make games and make them to be as good as is possible whether its a single player game or any other kind - point being whatever I make I need the best tool to make the best game even possible if its a small one level game or whatever.....e.g. quality and not quantity. Small and top quality rather than massive and half a job rubbish result.

How TGC raises the finance needed is a mater for them to sort out. As an end user I am only interested in how good the tool is. Either its good or not no matter what it provides for.

Currently as the debate about the basic visual quality is going as reflective of this currently Reloaded features to date even the few we have are about less than half finished as to a level of provision of support in those specific areas they provide for (e.g. terrain editor, AI, water and so on) and though I understand the need to built what some see as a more complete engine by extending the current core feature set because they for one reason or another cant wait I can see no other outcome than we have seen so many times in the past and we seem to be in danger of repeating ourselves with a potentially similar outcome. Said it many times recently what is creeping towards us is a little bit of this and a little bit of that for whatever reason and nothing finished or providing the level of game making toll sets and advanced quality features that will ensure a quality finished deployable game. Seen it before and its happening again for whatever reason financial, lack of other resources or other...result is the same - a half baked job.

Sight of the quality of product and its tools and feature set is in danger of being lost if it is not already gone in favour of more features and less quality. You can't have it both ways without question - Yes unless you have a massive budget agreed (even then its not easy) so how that's accommodated as said is not my or other users problem... only the product and how good it is in whatever it provides....more features or less, poor or good is our domain. Whatever the issues as said many times moving on and skipping, leaving behind unfinished basic core features half completed to the level users want or need is a bad precedent. More can be done and included at any stage then it should be done until all potential possibility of a feature is maxed out before moving on. e.g. Water for example and Yes environmental effects like rain, wind, liquids and so on and anything else that the major features we have to date are lacking, e.g much, much better terrain editing, texture, shader, lighting, materials user management support, far improved AI and much more. To that extent I agree with science boy and others who wish to see the product provide for a flexible choice of game making choices with a full range of quality efficient core advanced fully fledged features to make their games top notch before contemplating anything else.

The Conkit and Character Creator are one thing - essential features for the vast majority of indie game makers but anything else and particularly Multi Player is not a basic Game Making essential much like Third Person Perspective which I would like to see its not an absolute necessity when many essential items are half finished or not yet even included or started. In some cases not even being considered. Some support for many other types of Game is essential. Not everyone wants to make a shooter or zombie game. Character interaction and lip scinc in support of game dynamics and so on. Many, many important game making features.

Multi Player - Steam, Multi Platform - Whatever - first off I have to make a game I would be proud of and worthy of distributing and playing that is a big difference from selling the Reloaded Product which we as indie developers have no relation to - as said that's the domain of TGC and as always as said many times often it is the case that a game engine developer and its game engine purchasers in this case backers objectives are totally incompatible. One selling a tool to make games and the other wishing to use the tool to make a game. Different animals with different priorities which is why there has never been a really successful Indie Game making product which has been available to us to date.

Personally I know little of Steam and not that much more about playing multi player games as I have not yet made a game as said worthy of their consideration. When I do I am sure they may be of more importance to me though that day seems to be an even longer way off at the moment when I cant even make a game proper to my own satisfaction at least for the foreseeable future - short or long. For that I need much better improved current features and more core essential ones to be added.

Adding to this :

Personally I think that many end user pledgers can see much more potential for Reloaded than the way TGC look at it perhaps in as much as they are putting together currently a first person shooter which is limited in the main to providing an out of the box solution to create a modern type army style shooter as a complete game and hand it over to users as V1 or whatever.

Users see it as potentially providing and using it for far more than that. Many have very creative aspirations for its use in their game or other application making being a very creative lot as we know from experience and they aspire to much more and need many more core features apart from improving substantially whats already partly developed.....

Where are the AI features of climbing stairs and so on mentioned in past blogs long time back? peeping around corners and shooting and so on, I need snow/ice in my snow levels, I need flying objects in my space level, I need moving vehicles, wheres that rat and flies? I need water flowing down the cliffs (bumps) to a stream from top of mountain to the sea, I need to go under water to the underwater world, I need asteroids and space craft floating in my space level, I need teleporters and lifts, I need to be able to talk to characters that talk back, I need allies and enemy teams? and much, much more before I have even a basic and complete game making engine with basic core features?

Multi Player - forget it.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 16:10
I think that focusing on MP can wait until other things are more solid/concrete. However; I don't think abandoning MP for something to add years down the road is a good way to go. No one's saying that they're looking to create another Battlefield, or COD game...at least no one that seriously knows what they're doing. But people are forgetting all those out there that simply want to use FPSC/FPSCR to create games that they and their friends can play. Let's also not forget, that not long ago it was proposed that ReLoaded would get some AGK-type love in the distant future; which means anything you create (including MP games) could realistically go on to tablet play. That would be huge.

I'd also like to add to Shaky's list, and say that TGC needs to (re)clarify their Gold Pledge info....and take out the bit about Gold Pledgers getting Alpha Cadences every few weeks; with non-gold pledgers getting a new beta build once every month or so. That simply isn't true anymore, as everyone gets the latest build when it's ready; whether you've paid for gold or for bronze. I imagine the Steam Community is going to zero in on that little tid-bit. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't already been brought up, by someone other than me. Be straight-forward and factual.
PM
Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with Keith that porting to another platform like tablet whether single or multi player game would be a better investment than Multi Player alone. Either and both seem to me to be a vary arduous and long task with the risk that single player games development for PC as is now focused on may be adversely affected and the mix of unfinished developments may be even worse - more of a bit of this and a bit of that without any one of them reaching full potential.

Whatever all seems like a very long job which in references to Keith's post is likely to be measured in years of development whichever way you look at it.

wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 18:04
I mostly stayed out of the debate, read the comments, yes MP should be done once the ground work is done, but honestly if MP is going to end up like classic and X10 as a after thought I will be rather "upset". Just because one or two people doesn't care much for it or fails to see the potential for it, doesn't mean it's isn't important, as pointed out the votes for MP is loud and clear, there is a demand for.

I would like to see MP where you can add bots, it means you can create a FPS tower defense game which is very popular right now, take it a step further and have goals ect in MP.There is a number of things that can be possible with MP, considering RPG system will be implemented at one point or another.

Really can't see reloaded a single player only creation tool, releasing that on steam without MP would be a death knell.

As for price for a steam version, if people want it they will buy the end, considering the class reloaded is showing it will be well worth it, I got my self, Axis Game Factory and that is selling well over 80$ and people are buying it no problem.Reloaded presents it self professionally update regularly and constantly keeps in touch with the user base, you can ask a $200 and people would still buy it.

It is all about support, after sales and PR, that makes or breaks a steam release.
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 18:29
For some or other you can edit posts in fire fox, oh well.Do have to add some thing, that no one seems to mention on this forum often engine.

A lot of pressure is put on the engine by users wanting this and wanting BF 3 graphics or this or that, just remember you ain't going to build a game looking like titan fall or BF 3, without putting "some" effort in to the project, the engine isn't going to do it for you either or hand it to you on a platter.

You will have to work hard day and night to get some thing really out standing going, I think some people have the misconception that it will require little effort from their camp to do some thing like it, and rely too much on the engine, as I said the engine is only half the job.
Northern
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 23:33
Hi everyone,

In my opinion, I think the TGC team should, firstly, to finish thoroughly and successfully the project FPSC-Reloaded single-player.

So with the first phase of the project completed successfully, with all working well, after that and only then, begin a brand-new phase with a new project, otherwise we will have a lot of unfinished projects and worst most likely not working properly, ruining all the good and hard work achieved so far.

TGC team should defend at all cost whole the good enhancements achieved in FPSC-Reloaded so far and keep evolving from there.

Unfortunately, no matter what people do to satisfy others with or without muiltiplayer gaming, nobody will ever be able to please all of them all the time, because people always want more and more in an insatiable way, is part of human nature, because 'the whole' is not enough for a few of them.

It is as if a missing feature on a particular game engine is preventing someone from making the great game of their dreams.

Furthermore, if the requested feature is provided, then following, will appear something new in their path, that it is not currently available in the software, which to those people, once again will prevent them to create their major project, resulting an infinite cycle "need-dissatisfaction-anxiety."

Therefore, in an unconscious way, they may continue in an infinite manner postponing the very difficult task of making their video game from scratch and selling them, because there will always be some kind of blockage in their way.

Thanks for reading and apologies for this long post.

Cheers,

Northern
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2014 01:18
Quote: "A lot of pressure is put on the engine by users wanting this and wanting BF 3 graphics or this or that, just remember you ain't going to build a game looking like titan fall or BF 3, without putting "some" effort in to the project, the engine isn't going to do it for you either or hand it to you on a platter.

You will have to work hard day and night to get some thing really out standing going, I think some people have the misconception that it will require little effort from their camp to do some thing like it, and rely too much on the engine, as I said the engine is only half the job. "

Well said, Wizard of Id!

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
YashaX
Years of Service
User Offline
If the engine issues have been sorted out then MP is an extremely important next step. I would hope to see it within the year.
PM
kehagiat
Years of Service
User Offline
It seems to me this debate is about more than multiplayer, so here is my two cents worth.

To me, the advantage of both Classic and Reloaded over most other game engines / creators out there is absolutely clear: SIMPLICITY. I think a good goal for TGC would be that FPSC-R can do 50% of the things (say) Unity3D can do, in 10% of the development time (or with 10% of the experience, or something).

Let me put it another way. For me FPSC Classic would be a dream product, EXCEPT for one thing: its scripting language is limited and awkward. When I pledged for FPSC-R I was hoping to get FPSC Classic + Lua.

What I am getting so far is not quite that. On the positive side, I am getting outdoor creation tools, but I still do not have the indoor tools of Classic. And I am getting LUA but the AI functionality at this point is very deficient. I understand that we are still in beta and I am a patient person, I just hope the advanced AI functions do not get "forgotten" along the way.

If I get serious AI + ConKit I will be very happy. If I also get Entity Creator + 3rd person point of view I will be in heaven.

Thn

PS: In fact, even if FPSC-R never becomes a great game creator, it can be a great world editor, provided it has ConKit, EntityCreator and the capability to import / export in more formats than x.

Whereof one cannot speak thereof one must be silent
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2014 13:14
Look I agree with most of this but I do ask that you see that while multiplayer isn't considered core or necessary to you it is to others. I would however settle on a promise from TGC that whilst being put aside to build a better core engine, multiplayer will not be forgotten and WILL be in the engine by release. Or I ask that if it is going to be forgotten about then tell people now instead of sitting on a maybe yes maybe no so we know if we need to learn another engine.

I only say this as I get very little time these days and I would devote the time I have to the engine best suited for me. Do note I am not saying I want to build this game and I want to build it now I am not that naive, this is a long term project for me a n which I was hoping to develop skills with reloaded as reloaded evolved. But please TGC let us know a definitive answer on where multiplayer stands soon. People need to know if it is or isn't going to be in.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
If Lee can say " Hell ye I got an hour to spare I will add Multiplayer " then Great im all for it

However ...If Lee says ..."At the moment if we add multiplayer then every build will need major recoding which could effect other things causing delays and unexpected errors in other area's " then I would say hold a little till we have the SP side of things more complete.

For me its what's best and more sensible for the development of reloaded rather that what we may like to have right now.
If we were building a car it might be great to have it red with go faster stipes asap.... But the most sensible thing to do is get the brakes in first
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "If we were building a car it might be great to have passenger seats asap.... But the most sensible thing to do is get the engine working first"

fixed

OT:
there are many features still missing from reloaded that there is no right answer, something will have to wait regardless... i would agree that you should listen to the votes (that's why it's there after all, you can't please everyone but voting allows you to see the majority) but also you as the makers know best what is reasonable and if adding something is a good idea and at what stage, i think we trust you guys

life's one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 08:40 Edited at: 20th Jul 2014 08:51
Quote: "If Lee can say " Hell ye I got an hour to spare I will add Multiplayer " then Great im all for it"

I'll say again, that we do consider multi-player as a vital feature, but a big undertaking to do well. We're not interested in the old FPSC classic style and we don't think you are. We're looking at a fully interative environment, with full physics, player collectables, explosions, etc and we estimate that this will require about 2-3 months of work for a single coder. This would also free the rest of the team to keep adding other vital single player features. Of course, a lot of single player features have an affect on MP and visa versa, and overall can only improve Reloaded further.

Of course, before any of this, we need to lay the ground work, some of which like characters being able to enter buildings, (which in turn will lead to further AI improvements) are vital and have to be done, others, like landmines are less so, (but would be cool). It's likely we'll be updating the public vote soon to see where you want the engine to head next. This has always been a community lead project and so far this has worked pretty well.

Also, don't forget, that if you feel we should change focus, any of you can vote for features and also change your vote at any time here.

All in all, most of the features, most of you want will eventually make it into Reloaded, but all of these things take time. V1008 will be out soon, and that will see some big leaps forward, but we've a long way to go and thanks to everyone of you that is coming with us.

SC

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 02:51:28
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 02:51:28