3rd Party Models/Media Chat / New project. Urban housing - Creating a 3d brick overlay for various wall types to give depth and add realism.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2014 13:09
I have created a new post so i can gradually upload new screenshots of my wall overlays. And hopefully gain some feedback.

Now its not the easiest of tasks trying to get my modeler to output the correct textures, without having to re-texture them again in fps sub folders directly. Unsure why?. Also when graphics option is set to highest on entities the textures seem to shrink and get all distorted. Again unsure why?. Also i have noticed sometimes FPS will allow me to use more than one texture when importing from my modeler if i don't set one in the script. Again i'm not certain why it does this or what the maximum amount of textures it will load is. But i have noticed if i use to many it gives me and object error at line bla de bla when trying to load it in FPS.

Please advise if anybody has the answers to some of my queries and your feedback is more than welcome and will be greatly appreciated.

Wenga

Also i'm unsure of the actually error now but figured it might not be important if one of the reasons above is my cause.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2014 13:54 Edited at: 16th Jul 2014 14:58
Hopefully I can be a little help to you!

Quote: " when graphics option is set to highest on entities the textures seem to shrink and get all distorted"

This may be, and I repeat MAY be due to the "dividetexturesize = ?" in your setup file. In the current version it is set to 1 by default. In previous betas, it was set to 2 I believe. Try some different values in that parameter, save of course, and see if that helps your textures.

Quote: "Also i have noticed sometimes FPS will allow me to use more than one texture when importing from my modeler if i don't set one in the script."

The texture information is stored in the Direct x file automatically, and Reloaded will read and use that information if one is not specified in the fpe. This is normal, and yes you can use multiple textures that way. The downside of doing this, I think, is that we don't know if in the future Reloaded will continue to use that automatically. I would simply shy away from doing that at all, as that could be causing your error. It makes texturing more challenging, of course, but a 2048 x 2048 texture will give you the equivalent of 16 512 x 512 or 4 1024 x 1024 textures to work with, so it shouldn't be too difficult, just some image editing. Take care!

Don

EDIT: Just curious, what modeling software are you using?

EDIT #2: I just tried a few of my own wall segments with dividetexturesize = 1 and 2. I saw no difference. I am curious as to what is causing your issue. Gotta go to work soon, I'll ponder it all day! Could you possibly post a screen shot of the before?

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2014 17:58
He is using the free software from Delgine called Deled. It has a bunch of stuff in it and a few exporter for xfile. Does animation for bones or vertex. Has a UV unwrapper and allows you to make your own materials. Simple enough and effective, has a few quirks and a learning curve just like everything else. Surprisingly has great mesh building feature. Its no blender, but it has enough to make game level stuff for sure.

The issue is having a textured surfaces having profile detail without being able to use displacement mapping.
texturing for side detail verses using actual geometry. It is a process of determining what detail you need verses how much the engine can handle, verses can I get everything I want in the map level and still have it run at a decent frame rate.

The overlays by themselves will have the issue of being able to see gaps in the texture. I am afraid that when put over a wall section, they will blend in and will loose the appearance of detail over the flat surface below. therefore gaining nothing.

How to solve this without using extra geometry or displacement mapping, I have no clue. But we can try different things. You never know, we just might find a decent solution.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 4gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

wenga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2014 21:41 Edited at: 16th Jul 2014 21:57
Those where both very interesting responses. Thank you both.

And yes i have tried to see if the texture was being divided and have inputted many values and it solved nothing.

After reading both responses i do believe Myke brought up a very interesting point in saying that my object will still appear almost flat until you get up close so the detail is lost over distance and why dedicate that much memory to something you may or may not see very often.

Now after attacking my problem head on for most of today i found an easier solution. I mapped the texture in deled using just 512x512 red. Exported the bricks separately and the wall so both are single objects. Then just added a new 512x512 detailed texture in the script and that works fine. Just one single texture for each rather than relying on the information in the .x file like you was saying Jerry.

But as you said Myke it does cause problems for me when overlapping if it isn't spot on and even then occasionally you can see the line from various distances and angles. Now the brick overlay does solve this as it partially overlaps the join and makes it almost invisible. But the same can not be said for the inside. So by the end of it i could end up with overlay after overlay trying to hide the joins. A detailed texture could solve all of this for me or a completed house model rather than singular objects. So i dunno......it has it's merits and it does look pretty good close up.

Well i thank you both for your advice, i will upload some screens when iv finished faffing around with them. Just to give you an idea of what i was aiming for.

Also my laptop sucks but does a remarkable job of just running reloaded. Its only got a 512 dedicated card but has a healthy 6 gig of ram. But the shadows will simply not work i just get a giant black square madness. So i think it just under performs which is frustrating because i cant get a real feel for what my levels will look like when put on something that has the capabilities to run it on max. So i cant fully test my items.

Wenga
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2014 22:50
The screenshot is very bright so I am having difficulies noticing: Is this a group of individual 3D blocks or a shaded texture on a set of semi-plains?

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"

"absurdity has become necessity"
wenga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2014 22:57 Edited at: 16th Jul 2014 23:04
Yeah sorry bloom is on. It's a group of individual blocks. Obviously where mid debate on the effectiveness of doing it this way. Rather than just using a texture with a brick effect on. I was going for detail close up. Ill upload a new screenshot.

Also referring back to my earlier post Jerry here is a screenshot with entity settings set to high.

Wenga
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2014 15:45
wenga,

what i sometimes do is use the flat brick texture and make a seperate singular brick silce in half down middle and erase one half, leaving you a poly happy brick then paste and position in random places and merge this way you will lower your poly count and still have some 3d effect. but mine is bigger less uniformed bricks so may not work, but would help the rendering. just a thought for you

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

This isn't a work in progress game, so I've moved it to 3rd party media.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 15:54:12
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 15:54:12