Product Chat / The Escape! - TGC's demo game released!

Author
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2014 19:19
Hi,

Today we have released a demo game called The Escape.

It's a great example of the sort of game that can be created with the current build of Reloaded. Please try it out and spread the word to your friends and other communities.

Download "The Escape" here

Rick

Development Director

TGC Team
MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2014 22:00
What i would like to see would be a video tutorial of some kind from start to finish on how the Escape demo was made. I'm sure this would help people a lot.

Check out my YouTube Gaming Channel: /user/MadLadDesigns

W7 Home 64-bit, Intel i5-3330 quad-core 3.20GHz, nVidia GTX660 2Gb, 8Gb ram
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2014 22:30
I have unlocked this to allow discussions

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked
PM
MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2014 22:52
Oops! Didn't realise it was locked!

Check out my YouTube Gaming Channel: /user/MadLadDesigns

W7 Home 64-bit, Intel i5-3330 quad-core 3.20GHz, nVidia GTX660 2Gb, 8Gb ram
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought the demo was great and it did feel like I was playing a game if you know what I mean

Enemies so much better ...But.... Still on the odd occasion you would shoot them in the head at close range and it would do nothing ( usually on my last bullet ) which meant I died before I reloaded

Nothing to strange seemed to happen like enemies climbing impossible slopes or oddities so for me everything's looking promising so cant wait for V1.008 to have a go myself
PM
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 20:44 Edited at: 18th Jul 2014 20:46
Quote: "It's a great example of the sort of game that can be created with the current build of Reloaded. Please try it out and spread the word to your friends and other communities."

Ok, I spread it with my friend and everbody said:"he will not buy it!" After that I tried and this demo represent nothing. You gave us a demo video on kickstarter what will be reachable and now this. I am sad

You have a complete community behind you, let´s make a contest or something similar and let you create a great demo! Use the people who want to help you! It is in our interest to do so, I think. We are generous

Corno_1

Make this forum to something a little bit better and release more stuff. So we can push the Request/NoobHelp threads aside.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 21:09 Edited at: 18th Jul 2014 21:11
Quote: "You have a complete community behind you, let´s make a contest or something similar and let you create a great demo! Use the people who want to help you! It is in our interest to do so, I think. We are generous "

There is a contest in progress already and its nearly over.

All the info has been in the newsletters ..
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2014 00:52
A contest? What a great idea! Just kidding, really, where have you been?

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2014 10:14 Edited at: 19th Jul 2014 10:16
I really enjoyed playing the game but the difficulty ramp seemed a little high. For one, I had to shoot people multiple times in the head directly to kill them. I feel that shouldn't be the case. I also was able to climb the rocks to the left shortly after you spawn and get out of the map. High-settings was also a drag on my PC and I have a Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.0ghz, 8GB Ram, Asus Nvidia Geforce 660Ti 2GB, Windows 7 64-Bit. I think this demo really shows the vast need for performance increase. I shouldn't be able to get more frames from maxing out Metro 2033 or Fallout 3 than running a simple FPSCR game. This is just my input and I do have to say I appreciate the work being put into the engine. I however feel that vast improvements need to be made. I also want to see TRUE indoor support. Please do not get so carried away with the terrain and open-world that you forget the old core audience. Everyone can enjoy a good corridor game if made with the right gumption.

Indoor design is a big must! The construction kit is just as important if not more, in my opinion. This is especially true if segments are truly gone forever. We need something to compensate the loss. I would even say that this (indoor support) needs to be well on its way to completion before this ever makes a glimmer on Steam.

Good luck Lee and Rick. I'm watching to see what you do with this software but I'll be using FPSC Classic in the meantime.

The Birds - A narrated adventure.

Escape The Bunker: 1945 - A Much Needed Remake
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2014 11:06 Edited at: 19th Jul 2014 11:17
Where I am? I am in germany

And I am in the old Forum. And for my part I will not move until FPSC Reloaded is on steam and away from all the groupies, who hype ever step forward, even if it is a step backwards. I read every blog of Lee, because as a programmer myself, there is nothing more interesting. I go through the hole FPSC Classic Source code at the moment and also I experiment with DBpro. That´s where I am.

But enough from this...

I know that there is a contest. But what I see so far represent nothing. Rolfy´s entry make me stunning, but I not belive that I can do something similar in near time. A demo should present what you be able to do just with FPSC Reloaded, not with high moddeling skills. I read and watch a lot about engines, so for me this was a hit in the face. A engine demo should be a expression of freedom what a artist can reach with tools the engine developer give you. I want to see beautiful shaders, briliant AI and so on. What I get? I get a demo where we can see that this engine is not much wider as FPSC Classic at the end. We get terian, a little better AI, some more nicer models. Where is the big step? Why I should buy it? This are the questions I and my friend have after this demo. It seems like fun, but for 100$ I want more than a bit fun.

This is the opinion of me and my friends and we are not really happy with this. We all love FPSC Classic and we also want to love Reloaded, but at the moment, it is hard for us to do so. The time will show if we are wrong or right.

Corno_1

My dream is to develope games, which makes fun when I create it and fun when other people play it.
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "and this demo represent nothing. You gave us a demo video on kickstarter what will be reachable and now this."

Quote: "A engine demo should be a expression of freedom what a artist can reach with tools the engine developer give you"

uhm... you realise you can't have both right now right?
those 'features' all take time to implement and test.
i think people are getting confused by this "demo" - it's not a real commercial game, it's an example of what can be achieved RIGHT NOW in a very quick amount of time, to showcase what is working and how it looks as stock - there is no flashy extras, no huge time investment, no huge complicated scripts etc (except AI maybe but that's still as stock) that could (and should) be used to make an amazing game... just a showcase.

reloaded is about making game creation easier not giving you commercial quality games with a few clicks

life's one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "uhm... you realise you can't have both right now right?"

Not sure why not? Why I can not have this feeling: "wow this looks great" and "I also could achive this". We are far away from kickstarter demo(graphic), aren´t we? All I see in every video about reloaded is: TERRAIN.

Quote: " it's not a real commercial game"

If this would be so, my critic would be even harder. A demo which looks like cod 2 with the resources needed(on low) of Crysis 1 on medium? (Test on my other pc).
Quote: "it's an example of what can be achieved RIGHT NOW in a very quick amount of time, to showcase what is working and how it looks as stock"

and as I said: What I see right now is a engine which have nothing worth for me. Even with FPSC Classic and stock entities, some guys could make better levels! Do you understand me?

Quote: "reloaded is about making game creation easier not giving you commercial quality games with a few clicks"

I know. Am here since FPS Classic 1.16. I know what we can expect, but I also know what I see right now, could be easily a mod for FPSC Classic. I am afraid of this.
Ok it makes it easier, but we are also more limited.

I just say my opinion. Declare me as a hater if you want so...

My dream is to develope games, which makes fun when I create it and fun when other people play it.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2014 18:10 Edited at: 19th Jul 2014 18:15
Quote: "I just say my opinion. Declare me as a hater if you want so..."

Not at all.... All opinions welcome.....

If its not for you now please pop back in 6 months or so and check reloaded out again.. see how far its come
PM
alfred x10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 02:44
I liked the game, great graphics but run very slow on my pc are the requirements will be it ? It has:

-Windows 8
-Processor: Intel Celeron CPU 1.10GHz
-RAM: 4GB
-HDD: 445 GB
-system: 64 bits

Last question, I still do not have the FPSCR the kit construction was done in this game ?

Sci Fi World
Northern
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 06:38 Edited at: 20th Jul 2014 06:44
Hi alfredx10,

Here are some suggestions (using the video board you have installed on your PC) to you try to improve the frame rates during game play:

Suggestion #1:

After the game get started, click on 'ESC' key to access the 'settings menu', then from there click on 'Graphics Settings' and following to choose the option 'Lowest.' Next, return to game.

Suggestion #2:

If the first suggestion fails, try to decrease a bit the video resolution of the PC monitor, I mean, if you are playing the game with a resolution equal to 1920x1080, try another, maybe 1600 x 1200 or other lower which your monitor is compatible with.

For sure, there will be a loss of visual quality of the game graphics, but you will get a better game play.

Regarding to construction kit you have mentioned, I could be wrong, but I think this one does not exist at this time still with the FPSC-Reloaded.

I hope this might help.

Have fun,

Northern
PM
BlackFox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 18:36 Edited at: 20th Jul 2014 18:37
I was not too sure what to expect when downloading the demo. Once installed and running, I took the time to read Simon's comments in the "About" page. Recognizing as a developer that this is a demo of a BETA and reading his input, I filed that under "consideration" as I launched the game. It was not what I expected.

I must admit that I was impressed- not to be taken as "wow, this is totally awesome and blows everything else away", but it actually looked better than what I was anticipating. The grass and textures were the first thing that jumped out at me, and half way through the demo I began to have ideas of some future developments. Overall play was smooth and regardless of the fact it was made in a BETA engine, I found myself striving to complete the demo each time I was killed (the AI in the first section with the rocket launcher was mocking me and I set a goal to get him LOL). Nothing like an AI mocking you which in turns draws you in to play longer.

There were three things that I did notice that were a bit of a hindrance (for lack of a better word). First off, I found playing in "Lowest" graphic settings gave me the best performance while the "Highest" made the game slow. Mind you, I also recognize that A) I have apps running in the background; B) I most likely know my graphics card is old like me. The second issue I noticed was as I was walking down a path, I heard an AI and turned when he suddenly appeared over a large boulder. Now he could have seen me from where he was and clambered over it and I admit I did not investigate the spot I first saw him. I would have though as I was crouched along the path and he was on the left up the hill, I could have sneaked past him. He must have smelled the coffee and donuts I was packing along and took the shortest route to get them because I certainly was not whistling Dixie strolling down the path. The third issue was the mouse movement. I found that my movement was a bit fast as I was turning to shoot and a lot of times as I fired I would miss, but that too could be adjusted by my computer settings and I may have it a bit too high.

If your goal was to show what could be possible with the current state, I say you nailed it. If the goal was to show was is possible down the road even though it is in current BETA, I say you nailed it. I'm an avid Classic user, but recognize there is potential down the road once this development is completed. While we can do "terrain-style" elements in Classic, we can't quite do what is capable in Reloaded (or we could come close but it was very painful), and that alone is one out of many reasons to consider investing/switching from an older engine to this one. I just may postpone some developments to go into Reloaded (when completed) rather than Classic or another engine. I also must admit, this felt *much* better than the first video you had when your kickstarter was released from our perspective.

I'd also like to say thank you to Simon for his time on developing the demo (and anyone else involved). It is not an easy task to make something that pleases everyone- there will be those that like and those that did not like. However, one should never detract the fact the developer(s) took time out of his/her/their schedule to provide us with an insight to the status of a project.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes from here. We have spread the link of this thread to other associates we work with/deal with in the development circle and hopefully they too may decide to invest.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
Conjured Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 20:02 Edited at: 20th Jul 2014 20:29
Download does not work for me. Just refreshes the page asking me for my info again.

EDIT

Nevermind, it was Internet Explorer. I used Firefox instead and everything was fine. (solved my wacky display issues too)

alfred x10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 03:18 Edited at: 21st Jul 2014 03:20
Hi Northern,

Thanks for the suggestions actually when I reduce the screen resolution the game run properly, I found very excellent tools presented in this new engine "Reloaded" enjoyed not only for capable of producing outstanding scenery as I also noticed that it has a some stealth really cool, even though I'm already getting very close to buying that new engine.

By the way I just asked for such construction kit because I saw written on the menu about.

Thank you Alfredx10.

Sci Fi World
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 09:02
Want a honest break down.?

TGC can do better much, much better, Users will rip this barren filled level to sherds, this is not a good representable demo of what FPSC reloaded can do visually speaking, it is more a technical demo than any thing else.

TGC should have pushed visuals, yes, yes what about game play and blah, blah.Game play creation is important, however the draw point for many users will be the visual fidelity, TGC failed to provide that.For many users the most important aspect is what visuals can be created, game play ease of use ect is secondary.

They should have pushed a visual demo, that said they could have also pushed a tech demo, they have created a interactive demo great.What I found would have been better is a tech demo with a flyby camera, with stopping points showing certain aspects of the engine what is important as well as narrate the demo.

That said TGC will include user created demo's, which will represent a much better picture of the engine than their own demo, it is sad, I don't want to put down TGC's effort, but they should pushed for a much better demo, they have a 100% better understanding of the engine and have talented people working for them.

One also has to understand, they have a small team, and don't have oodles of time to spend creating a demo, another option would have been to delegate demo creation to a person from the community capable of creating the best possible looking demo.You also have to remember this is the first time TGC is creating a project on this development format so it is as much a learning curve as it is for the users of the project.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
I am so weary now of narrated demos showing what you can do etc

I have purchased Leadwerks and Axis game factory both based on narrated videos ( Nothing you can actually play ) and both turn out a little misleading ..... One you need to be an expert coder to get anywhere....the other you need to be familiar with unity or its useless..

Just for once...people can download a demo they can play on their machine and this is what anyone can do right now !!
They can see if their machine is up to it and try and actual level they could make today ..
I would agree an accompanying video would be nice perhaps simply because I don't think people realise how easy the editor is to create such a level..

By the time this gets on steam it should be a tool that wipes the floor with all the others
PM
Lance
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 18:28 Edited at: 21st Jul 2014 18:30
The demo game was OK , but going into a combat zone with a 7 shot .45 . Really ? The weapon I believe should have been at least something a little more modern.

I know the demo was made to highlight the AI etc.. The .45 was designed as a close quarter combat backup weapon (mostly jungle I believe), 25 yards or less .

During WW2 my dad was an instructor showing and teaching officers on the .45 .

I am glad to be a Gold Pledge member .

Lance
PM
eMaRDi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2014 16:04
Yesterday I downloaded the demo.
About the download process: Download Manager like DownThemAll does not like this download (I have to use manual download as "Save Target As.." to download the file).
This is a bit odd as these things rarely happen.

Installation is fine, however I suggest no to show that such things like "Wav" Files are copied.
This is fine for a toolset like the FPS Reloaded Editor but it seems odd for a demo game.
You should consider to pack certain files upon compilation into a final release (like most games to since a decade).
Starting up the game is OK, right at the start I miss a Option to remap my controls (it is a personal thing but it shows customization capabilities quite fast). It is also odd to see that Graphics are set to Medium. High does make a significant difference without big impact on my machine.
Maybe some kind of Auto Detect does make sense?

To be honest: Playing this stage feels a bit like Morrowind (Bethesda Softworks memorable title from 2002).
Even in High Setting (and I only played in high setting), landscape and prop textures look washed out and quite low res.
Overall Lighting does not favor textures. A night scene might work better if textures stay that way.
Water quality also reminds me of above mentioned game.
More recent games (e.g. Oblivion, which is from 2006) already show better water textures.
It may be that tweaking some ini files might improve my experience but I think a Demo (like I understand a classic "Demo") should showcase everything the engine is capable of.
In this regard it seems a bit lacking.
Revolver spread is not really what I expect (essentially I have to be in Shotgun range to really hit an enemy due to extremely high bullet spread, even with Ironsight).
Enemy animations look odd seen face to face (especially arm movement).

After leaving the first compound there is a way marked at the floor but the scenery really looks a bit to open without real gains for wandering off (except for more enemies).
Enemy detection seems to be a on/off experience. Sometimes enemies see me which I do not really see (however the alarmed sound is helpful).
From enemies the rocket guy is most impressive, as the rockets shake the earth around you on impact.
But especially the second one seems to see the player much better that otherwise.

It might be due to the fact I played the standard level in the Beta too much, but the level quickly frustrates. Even with health magically resupplying, aim is so much off all the time that ammo seems to be a ressource with little value. I need a full revolver round to finish one enemy. This does not feel right.

Introductory voiceover is quite good (even motivating) but I feel a bit left alone after the first minute or so.

Suggestions:
- Rework terrain textures to a higher resolution
- Work more with dimmer light (and dynamic lighting, if possible)
- less enemies in a bunch (especially at the beginning)
- rework weapon models (not graphically but recoil, aim and shooting speed)
- enemy cover should be displayed early (I did not see it in the first minutes)
- Scripting should be used (e.g. talking of enemies to each other if possible)
- Graphics should be at maximum per default and able to decrease if necessary (it is a demo!)
- Audio Sources hould be used if possible (apart ambient music) - there are free databases of sound clips like insects, birds, footsteps or the like
- improve water surface textures if possible (or enable the necessary Shaders per default or hardware detection)
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2014 16:30 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2014 16:44
Quote: "Enemies so much better ...But.... Still on the odd occasion you would shoot them in the head at close range and it would do nothing ( usually on my last bullet ) which meant I died before I reloaded "

I noticed whenever I finally got to any rocket man I was able to shoot him in the head multiple times and he was still alive

Quote: "- less enemies in a bunch (especially at the beginning)"

I agree with this comment. I found it a bit strange that I was fighting 3 to 4 enemies right off the bat. It makes more sense to have the first enemy you engage be a character that is not patrolling but just standing facing away from you. So you can engage the first shoot out. Kind of like how all Metal Gear games are at start.

I'd say spread out the characters a bit more or block out their view from the players starting area box. First time playing the game I walked around the enclosed area for a bit and already had 4 enemies shooting at me from within.

Most games let you walk around your starting area within a risk of danger. This allows the player to adjust to the controls.

Quote: "- Graphics should be at maximum per default and able to decrease if necessary (it is a demo!)"

Only reason why I would disagree is that many people are experiencing slow game play in high settings. I like that idea of it auto-detecting your FPS and dropping the quality based on your FPS. Kind of like what the editor does and suggests a lower quality.

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
Yankee1950
Years of Service
User Offline
Trying to download the demo - filled out the form - clicked on the download link - recieved the following:

Your download link has expired.
To download please fill out this form

Please adivse.
Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2014 06:01 Edited at: 27th Jul 2014 13:04
Had a chance to give this a spin...

I had no problem with speed, lag or any hitch while playing. So thumbs up on performance.

However I agree with Wizard that the level design, sure its a good size to move through the demo and have some length to the level. However I felt like I was playing something a few years back.. hill design was a bit foreign, not natural. Background was slightly bare, all I had to look for was an area that was busy.

****I have also read the info on the menu and can see that the reason

behind said demo was to show what can be achieved on a small time frame.

Game play is much better, love the rag doll.. Rocket guy is a great addition and grats on him. however had way to much health, unless a boss. though there was more than 1. I like that the Rocket guy could be tricked with moving behind rocks, buildings.

All in all, I think I agree with users above that on a tech demo side its great work. The demo loaded very very fast for me.

The PLUS PARTS:

Super fast load

No lag (any where)

New AI and Rag doll is great

Good to see added asset's used (voice)

Menu Screen

Ending zone

MOS Technology 6510, VIC-II, SID 6581 i wish...
PM
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@Yankee1950

The link seems to be working now, but please let me know if you are still having problems.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2014 13:24
Given the strong feedback on the demo, I will be working on an improved version in the weeks to come in tandem with the V1.009 build. If you can help out out my creating single line bullet points for the top few things you desperately need to see improved in the demo, that will be our starting point. Don't give me a fifty item wish list, just the ones that you feel are ruining the demo. Thanks again for the input, it all gets soaked up!!

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 29th Jul 2014 13:53
* There doesn't seem to be a particular path to follow, thought notion of non linear illusion, can work, however this doesn't direct or push the player in the direction you want him to go in.

* Foliage usages is too little as well as grass, good example here would be to use a cluster of tree and grass with an open area with just grass for where battle takes place.

* Player should face one or two enemies at a time, and the scenery should provide cover for both the AI and the player, exit points is important should the battle get too heated the player should be allowed to back track or hide behind some thing or safety

* Introduce the player to more difficult AI one at a time, and gradually increase the placement of more difficult AI till you are able to mix weak and strong AI together, as well as increase the weapon power in the process.

* There should be safety zones for the Player where he is able to reload of given enough opportunity to reload.

* The terrain is too uneven slightly reduce height and even the terrain a bit to a more level area.

* Visually there isn't a lot happening in the level, some rock here and there visually the rocks don't fit in with the terrain.

* The player can see the AI mid map, and near the end, perhaps hiding the AI, a bit more so the player either sees the AI too late or with just enough time.

* There is no focal points in the map. At least one good looking focal point that help spur the player on to the next area.

* The buildings to the left right at the beginning, would be useful to use the AI spawn function, once the player has collect a ammo or key needed by spawning one or two AI at a time and gradually increase the spawn amount, delay spawn function would be useful here.

all that I can think of now.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2014 23:38
That's great, nice and simple, and I have plans to tackle half that list, so all is good!

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

Yankee1950
Years of Service
User Offline
Great Demo

Need some kind of "direction indicator" (small arrow in the sky) to show where the player must go - I spent many minutes wandering around aimlessly.

Can the resolution be changed to show up better on larger monitors?

Shooting enemies (point blank) in the head did not immediately kill them - it took 3 or 4 shots.

Really LIKE the health restore using cover - much better than the old health pick ups.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2014 16:34 Edited at: 1st Aug 2014 16:35
Quote: "small arrow in the sky) to show where the player must go - I spent many minutes wandering around aimlessly."

It uses the direction indicator of old shooters... if you encounter enemies, you are going in the right direction

I do however believe that a compass system will be added in the future.

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"

"absurdity has become necessity"
eMaRDi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2014 11:57
* less enemies at the beginning (1-2) which use hiding spots (as there are some buildings around at the beginning). First enemy looking opposite direction.
* After the first little "village" the terrain is a bit too open - maybe some kind of Valley?
* a bit darker scenario (evening / sunset) were dynamic lighting can be used (like a car or lamp with light on)
* place e.g. small amounts of ammunition into some of the huts to encourage "searching"
* a more early version of a patrolling enemy which does not see the player immediately (e.g. because of an obstacle or higher level platform)
* early a scripted event (e.g. two enemies running out of huts)
* some background ambient noise (if available)

Spec: Windows 8.1 - i7 4770K (3,5GHz) / Z87 - 16 GB RAM

FPS Creator Owner & FPS Creator Reloaded Gold Pledger (twice )
PM
James Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
My opinion of the demo came The Escape.

well to be honest I found it tedious and boring. I understand that it was meant to show what can be done with the engine in it's current state, but really think the developers could have done a better job at setting up the game play.

that being said I do think it was a accurate example of the engine's current state. it showed both the improvements of the engine, as well as where it is lacking at.

I did purchase the gold pledge membership, but not due to the demo game, for that alone would not have sold me on the engine. it was a little bit way to 90's for me. but it does show that there is progress being made. I looked into fpcs a few years back, and it never caught my interest for all the lacking features it really needed for anyone to create a competitive game these days. however the demo did do a good job at showing the many improvements in the game engine's new path.

keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing the advancements in the engine in the future.
PM
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2014 22:10
Actually, it would be a good idea to have a "timeline of demo games" throughout the next versions, so that potential customers see the the progressions and improvements "in action".

Come to where the madness is:http://www.indiedb.com/games/into-the-dark

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 14:19:33
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 14:19:33