Product Chat / Will the new version uninstall my items?.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2014 15:41
Am i best backing up my whopping 4 gig of entity data some where else when i uninstall fpscr upon re-installing the new version when its released?. Just curious.

wenga
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2014 15:55 Edited at: 11th Jul 2014 15:56
I would anyway or at least backup your entity folder...

Its always bet to install the latest version clean....That way if there are any glitches or anything you no its not likely to be third party contamination.....Once your happy the new Reloaded is working fine then copy your stuff back

In fact at 4gig its time to put that on a DVD so you have it forever
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2014 16:01
Definitely back it up. Leave nothing to chance! Even when Reloaded goes live, I wouldn't risk it.

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
wenga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2014 17:27
Thank you very much i will certainly do that then. I think if i lost them id cry. flash drive it is.
Imchasinyou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2014 17:40
My entity folder is currently 14 GB and i have more to add in yet. I just copy and paste my folders over to a HDD that I use solely for my entity's and other things I need to keep. I'd lose a flash drive too easily. I then update that folder to add any new things I might get.

I am a very blunt person. I have NO filters in communication. I say exactly what I think and feel. If you think im being abrasive, its probably a personal problem because usually, Im not.
PM
Go Devils
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2014 19:51
I've taken to setting up special folders inside the different file folders in reloaded. These contain my entities, my Levels, scripts, etc. Before I install a new version of Reloaded, I back-up all of the add-on file folders at that moment. When the new Reloaded is installed with it's current File system, I can then add back those folders with my materials. Fast and simple.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Listen guys your all worrying me....
Seriously I deal with computers all day...Hard drives just pack up....Flash drives can wipe themselves if dropped ( and I have been a victim )

Do yourself a favour and back up your reloaded stuff to DVD's It aint perfect either I know... But the amount of drives and data loss I see in a week is frightening.... A Hard Drive is about as reliable as an alternator on your car ... Go great for years and then...STOPS !!
All your data gone !!

Many a customer I have seen that has stored her children's photos on her HDD since birth without a second thought of backup...then at five years old her kids history has gone forever..

14 GB is a lot of data and it would all fit easily on one blu-ray disk ....worth the investment
PM
DolphinLover30
Years of Service
User Offline
My advice is ... whiloe in testing and updating mode the best way to avoid worrying about losing things, don't add them yet. I am happy testing and playing with pre installed things here with no worries of losing anything in an update. I will wait until a stable full release is out to add my own stuff. the game is the question not your modeling skills so why waste it until then??

This town is infested with killer cockroaches .. repeat .. killer cockroaches !!
PM
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
We always suggest backing up prior to installing any Beta version. It shouldn't uninstall your models, and in fact, has fail safes to prevent this, but accidents do happen.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
Imchasinyou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2014 21:28
Id happily use a disk but they get lost around here. I dont use bluray anyhow so it would have to be a DVD or even just a CD. Aside from my main HHD that has all my stuff on it, the other drive I mentioned is just holding my FPSCR stuff. I even labeled it as FPSCR so i know to not use it for anything else. I have 5 HDD's in my rig, all doing different things. I do understand your point about failures though and will also consder having a disk for my stuff as well. Thanks for the tip.

I am a very blunt person. I have NO filters in communication. I say exactly what I think and feel. If you think im being abrasive, its probably a personal problem because usually, Im not.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2014 22:46 Edited at: 12th Jul 2014 22:52
How ironic....

Picked up an Acer aspire AIO PC today from a customer with NO BOOT...HDD Clicking and all his pictures and data since 2010 without ever doing any kind of backup... Hes devastated... it includes all his sons wedding videos and pictures...also includes all pics and vids since his grandsons birth in 2011..

Somehow ...I managed to get "ALL" 56 GiG of his data off before it became totally unreadable...It took 6 hours clanking and grinding and clicking "Try Again" in places

Hes SOOO lucky ...But 56 GiG people don't realise how much they accumulate of pics and docs etc ...and a good example of what I was talking about
PM
wenga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2014 10:29
No way how lucky. I've got a collection of everything dating back about 10 years now. And my drives still going strong. But after much debating (couldn't be arsed) i decided to double back-up my back-up lol. It's now on many disks, and a 64 gig card too haha!. Oh and just curious but whens the new update due?.

Thanks Wenga
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Oh and just curious but whens the new update due?."

Hopefully today !!! 14th of July
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2014 12:02
My advice is to back-up before any beta install. The new uninstaller is designed to only remove files that it added, so your entities SHOULD be safe, but it's good practice to have your own fallback plan!

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 11:43:21
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 11:43:21