Product Chat / Why to develop games for the PC platform

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2014 18:41 Edited at: 5th Jul 2014 18:51
Hello,

I understand that FPS Reloaded is for the Windows PC platform. If I am correct, what is the advantage of developing a game for the PC? I ask this question because I see that most of the game development goes to Android and iOS mobile devices like phones and tablets. Also, there is a big market for game consoles like XBox, Nintendo, etc. I am really interested in getting information about the reasons to develop games for the PC platform. Several questions come to my head like, for example, what is the potential public for a game developed for the PC? I am sorry if my question is a bit ingenuous, but I am new to this subject. I will very much appreciate your feedback.

Respectfully,

Jorge Maldonado
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
millions of people play games on pc, doesnt really matter what you make them for though, someone will always think it's better on something else, that is just the nature of things.
and i would say most game development seems to go to android and ios because the games are generally small and take much less time to make compared to a full pc game which can (and likely will) takes years plus most games that are on phone have already been done on pc in some form or another

life's one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Mobile devices are a bit of a new market and are quite good for casual purchases, at least for certain games. However for good FPS games you can't beat a PC really. Personally I am not a major fan of mobile apps in general, and don't consider them to be more than a quick time filler. This is mostly the controls fault, but control is a major issue with games imo! Of course if you really want to try mobile app dev try AGK, I made Moonsnaker with it.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 260GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Fane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2014 21:22
In my opinion the games on smartphones are only for pastime. If I want a good story combined with good graphics and gameplay I chose the pc or the console. I would never develop a serious game for a mobile device

System: Win 8.1 64 / i5 @ 3,9GHz / GeForce 760 GTX 192 Bit Dx 11 (Driver 335.23) / 8GB RAM
PM
Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2014 09:14 Edited at: 6th Jul 2014 09:22
To develop a game to console (xbox and/or ps) you would need a development license/dev kit. Unity did offer a option.

However you still needed a license for the desired platform, plus a full dev license of unity.

A console Dev kit costs money, in the below article ps4 devkit was about $2500.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/24/4553842/so-how-much-does-it-cost-to-develop-for-playstation-4

However Xbox One and PS4 have opened up this cost by providing a Dev Kit loan option. However one needs to apply of course.

This includes having work to present and prior experience. Also it is mentioned that not everyone will get access and if one has a Dev Kit, it wouldn't be a walk in the park..

What are the criteria for receiving Xbox One developer kits?

We evaluate each developer individually on its own merits. In the initial phase of ID@Xbox, we are looking for experienced independent game developers who have a proven track record of shipping games on console, PC, mobile, or tablet, or clear evidence of a game well in flight, such as a successful Kickstarter or entry in a showcase event such as the IGF. These developers will help us smooth the path for those who come later.

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/Developers/id

http://us.playstation.com/develop/

Here's a good read from a indie dev using unity and the costs (he also drops a point about console plugins costing 'hella-expensive'

http://www.andymoore.ca/2013/05/unitys-license-fees/

Sorry its not the best of info, Im having issues with google at moment. however I added the links if you wish to read more

As SmallG mentioned, PC gaming has a large audience and sure if a option to port comes down the track awesome, though I studied C++ for 3 years on and off. And I am so stoked with TGC's new platform it limits the stress and time for me. And I know friends can access my work with limited hassle

However If yourself (og poster) are keen to work on console thats why I provided the links. Have a good 1

MOS Technology 6510, VIC-II, SID 6581 i wish...
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2014 15:29
You can't beat the raw power of a PC! Controls aside, when I think of how slow Reloaded was on my old laptop (5-13 fps on a blank map), I can just imagine how it would be on my phone.

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
shakyshawn8151
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2014 15:28
WOW, The PS4 devkit is only $2400??? Im not rich or no were near it but, that does seem kind of cheap. considering the multimillion dollar market.

------Dead of Night----- Open World Zombie Horror!!

Youtube/ShakyShawn8151 > 10k Subs Celebration

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 11:19:31
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 11:19:31