3rd Party Models/Media Chat / some rocks made with medusa pro

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2014 12:34 Edited at: 5th Jul 2014 12:36
just wanted to share in-case anyone was thinking about getting it anyway after about 15 minutes of playing around and putting my own textures in i had 4 rock formations all exported to .x with diffuse normal and spec maps. All that had to be done for use in reloaded was:

before exporting but in the export menu

1. select export to DB/FPSCR

1. Export scale at 100

2. select export images as dds

after export

1. make FPE file

2. rename model and all the image files

3. copy it all to reloaded

that was it simple, anyway heres some images and i'm working on uploading a video but currently say's 339 minutes remaining to upload, so maybe up tomorrow for now enjoy the pics. note all pics are in reloaded.

edit: was trying to upload the AVI by mistake so video should now be within the hour

my personal favourite:

PC Specs: Windows 7 home 64-bit, Amd 7900 3gb DDR5 graphics, 8gb DDR3 Ram, Intel i7 3.4ghz

Feel free to visit and edit the public FPSCR resource wiki page: http://fpscrresource.wikispaces.com/home
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2014 13:38
and video's up, Enjoy

PC Specs: Windows 7 home 64-bit, Amd 7900 3gb DDR5 graphics, 8gb DDR3 Ram, Intel i7 3.4ghz

Feel free to visit and edit the public FPSCR resource wiki page: http://fpscrresource.wikispaces.com/home
Red Devil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2014 13:51
Nice !
But your UV Mapping is wrong..
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2014 14:06
i haven't been through to UV map these myself, this is just how the program auto does the UV. Was a test of the program itself

AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2014 15:48 Edited at: 6th Jul 2014 16:49
a video on exporting from medusa pro and importing into reloaded

EDIT: have been in contact with the creator of MEDUSA PRO about making things even easier, such as renaming files on export and preview image as .BMP instead of .JPG, as well as possibility of exporting with the LOD's incorperated into the one file, so with a bit of luck these may happen.

also a quick cave made with the same rocks as before:

AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2014 06:41
I have started to see some Medusa pro rocks on the store, is this something people are interested in because if so I am getting the hang of making this rocks without stretches so I could do a pack of like 25+ rocks all with less then 900 faces?

AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 13:19 Edited at: 18th Jul 2014 13:20
I now have a free arch up in the store so people can try it and see if they want these types of rocks. so if anyone was looking for a free way to try these rocks i now have one up

if enough people want it i will post a collection of rocks that could be used as i did to make a cave scene so would be

1. the excisting arch

2. a pillar type

3. a wall type rock

4. a very low poly floor and roof type rock

so let me know

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 13:37
They look pretty nice, except of course, the stretching you mentioned, and on the maps some of the polygons are very well-defined (no smoothing). You've just made a great plug for Medusa Pro, so do I want to buy your rocks or simply buy the program? Tough decision! I'd probably just buy yours if they were priced right since they would save me the trouble of fixing the textures myself.

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 15:01
it all depends how far you want to take it, you can modify the meshes of the rocks if you so please, and if enough reloaded users buy the product chances are there will be more support for ready to go export settings. either way but the only rock i have at the moment on the store is my free arch but i did notice someone selling them for 70 points, bit more then i would price them at when a program does 90% of the work for you but, i think rolfy's rocks look better and he hand made those for only 75 points so if i do put some up they will be very reasonable on price, i'd think something like 25 points would be fair, especially when i could mass produce them as someone has already done

unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 21:08
The rocks look great. Good work mate.

One small point with the initial error you made in the video. If you use an fpe from a dynamic entity and you want it to be for a static entity, you don't need to go through everything you went through. Just change the line that says

defaultstatic = 0

to

defaultstatic = 1

This will make it static by default.

Cheers

Jay.

AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 17:14 Edited at: 31st Aug 2014 19:09
Just thought I'd let people know I have worked out the things that bothered me with these models and now can create them with fully working LOD and fixed the bottom of the model instead of it being halfway through the terrain. So if anyone wants some of these rocks or wants me to run through quickly how to fix them let me know. If people think I should put some in the store with working LOD let me know also, not going to do it all if no one wants them

Oh and if anyone has any special rock request or rocks they want to see done with a very specific texture, send me a pm and will see what I can do

wildman4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2014 12:08
Quote: "Just thought I'd let people know I have worked out the things that bothered me with these models and now can create them with fully working LOD and fixed the bottom of the model instead of it being halfway through the terrain. So if anyone wants some of these rocks or wants me to run through quickly how to fix them let me know."

AuShadow,

Please let me know how you fixed these. I have the full version and have played with it very little. Trying to find textures that look decent is the issue since we are not allowed to use theirs, seems always to be too much stretching. Also, I am not planning on putting any rocks I make for sale on the store since 99% of the work is already done. I will hopefully put some out on the free models page eventually if I think they look good enough , just don't have a whole lot of extra time to work on them.
PM
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2014 03:27
Sent you a couple of PM's, and i'm in the process of getting 2 rocks approved for the store that use a free texture and one of the rocks will be free so if they get approved check them out and in the store description is a link to where i got the texture

AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2014 08:41
NEW free pillar type rock live in store with full working 3 levels of LOD and a new texture type, let me know what you think of the texture type and if you have the old free rock as well which texture is better and what you think is a fair price for these models.

some things to know,
Medusa Pro does all the modeling work (i just fix what i don't like) as well as the UV maps
A little work is required in blender to get LOD involved
Need to make the correct files for reloaded and the store.

at the moment I am using 50 points and 35 points on sale but do people (especially modellers who spend the time and effort to make these from scratch) think i should be less, maybe 35 points and 25 on sale??

really want peoples opinion here because i know generated models can be a touchy area.

i will not charge more then 50 points on any level however as they are generated models, and i know there are quite a few up allready but these all have working LOD and a corrected bottom level of model point.

unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2014 10:04 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2014 10:05
As a modeller myself, I know it is frustrating when I see generated items flooding the store. I can spend many hours, sometimes days on one static model and then sell it in the store for 50 points. Great value for money for the end user and I don't mind as I enjoy making the models. However, when I see some of the generated models put up for the same (if not more) points as one of mine, I do question, why should I put all that work in? Especially as the store is flooded with these rocks and they push all the rest of the models down the line.

That being said, the end user will buy what they need. If they need rocks, cool, there are plenty, if they need some SciFi stuff and like the look of mine, cool, it's there.

I don't frown upon what you are doing mate. You are actually offering a service (which is great) which a lot of modellers (except Rolfy) might not like to model.

Cheers

Jay.

AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2014 10:32
Flooding the market is something I very much want to avoid I only feel now that if there are some of these rocks up there they should have working LOD and should nor be priced so high, so after some thought I think I'm going to settle on 35 points and will modify the price on what I've already put up when I get a chance, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I'm sure I speak for all when I say all you modelers are doing great work

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2014 02:59 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2014 03:01
You should charge a fair price for work done...if you got LODlevels and you have worked on making good textures then people will purchase. Rocks aren't really that easy to hand model without stretching etc and you might even see some a little more expensive where the Artist has hand painted the texture or baked AO for it, these are the most perfect kind as even UV stretching is eliminated when hand done.

Since your not just spewing these out pre-generated with no work done at all I wouldn't be hard on myself about selling them. Go for it

I reckon if they got LOD levels and a decent texture they are probably worth the fifty points but that's your call.

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2014 03:24
Going to stick with 35 points as I realize the skill it takes in making models from scratch and unfamilla has been helping me there by helping me to create a model in blender and I am struggling to UV map it so I understand there's a lot more skill involved in what you guys are doing and I hope to be able to do one day soon aswell

AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 11:21 Edited at: 15th Nov 2014 11:21
decided to release the tutorial i gave to wildman on getting LOD and a proper bottom point for the rocks as the flooding of the store has stopped with these generated models.

NOTE: I release this in good faith that people will use it for their own needs and not to flood the store with rocks again, if that's you'r intention to make a quick dollar or two with generated models then please, do it some other way not following a tutorial i put up.

anyway heres the link to get full LOD support and corrected bottom of model using medusa pro and blender 2.69

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1084DDE5ucwl7-kqW2nsfj0N2FZqN2_9DFAi50VrsMqY/edit?usp=sharing

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 12:49:11
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 12:49:11