Product Chat / Map size

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2014 17:35
In a not so distant future, the map size can be increased?
If I wanted to make an open world, for example, 10 km x 10 km ... it will be possible?

The software I use? ... Autocad, sketchup, Spazio3D, pconplanner, Kerkythea, wing3d, paint.net.
PM
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Not at present and we've no plans to do this yet. We will be adding the ability to 'jump' between levels, so with some clever design you will be able to create massive landscapes and eventually interiors.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
Go Devils
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2014 01:57
Hi Scene Commander

Just out of curiosity, how big is the basic terrain matrix in FPSR. I've calculated it to be about 3,000 feet (about 60% of a mile) or 30,000 3D units. Am I close?

Also, how much of FPSR is programmed in Dark Basic Pro?

Thanks

"There is no spoon"
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
You can create a map of about 768x768 meters in real world measurements. In game units that would be 51200x51200 with a typical two storey building sized at 300x200, and characters standing about 80 units high. You can also build upwards to over 760 meters!

I can't answer the second question as more and more of the code is being replaced by C++ at various points, including rewrites to the core DBP code.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 19th Jul 2014 08:47
I do have to add, that no game has maps that size, it is impossible to have such a large area, what they do however have is to stitch map areas together and have them load in real time dynamically. obviously there is some pause when switching between map areas, but considering lighting is done in real time and other goodies, there is no reason why reloaded can't do the same.

They also make use of rendering vista's and very low LOD of other map areas as well as rendering distance to have a smooth transition from one map area to the next.

but honestly TGC can create a 10KM map area no problem, however your map area will then be rather barren as populating it would mostly likely kill the frame rate, no matter how clearly you try and render of hide the rest of the none visible map area there will always be some memory foot print regardless.Reloaded isn't nearly fast enough or will be fast enough in the future to be able to handle exceptionally large maps areas.

The only other possibility I can think of for large map areas is to divide the map areas into rendering blocks if it's not visible to the camera not render it all and if it is pending how close it is to the player to render a 3D vista or billboard of the area, and dynamically unload or load areas the player is close to, it does mean you will need some serious CPU power to cope with it all.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 11:52:46
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 11:52:46