Feature Creep / 3D Sounds - Add a Phase-Delay For Natural Realism

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2014 20:14 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2014 20:42
As I do not have Reloaded, I'm assuming that based on DarkGDK's "3D Sound" and from what I've glanced in this forum about 3D Sound - that whatever 3D sound that is present (if it is present), I'm assuming it's just volume based: A sound that comes from the player's right is a little louder on the right.

My suggestion is to add a slight delay to the further-away side. In the real world, a sound coming from the player's right will arrive at the left ear slighter after it arrives at the right ear.

And give the game-author the ability to scale the left/right volume ratio, and the phase delay. Giving separate control to each aspect (with some good sounding defaults in place to start with of course). They'd each be calculated from the angle of the sound relative to the player, of course, then scaled by the game-author's settings.

The phase delay is more of a time delay in this case, a simple delay of playback by a number of samples, calculated from the delay time and sampling rate. To make things simpler, you could even round it to the nearest integer sample.

I've uploaded a panting zombie sound as a sample to illustrate the difference it makes. The original sound was mono (stereo but identical channels), and authored by Duncan Peck, which he shared in the following thread:

http://fpscrforum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208431&b=25

This sample is from a stationary position. But imagine it changing as the zombie moves closer.

The original sound (effectively mono):

hahahuh - Original.wav

The sound coming from the right, using a change of volume only:

hahahuh - Volume only.wav

The sound coming from the right, using a delay only:

hahahuh - Delay only.wav

The sound coming from the right, using both the volume and delay (same settings as above):

hahahuh - Volume and Delay.wav

Note: These above four files are the attachments. No need to download them twice.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Duncan Peck
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for using my sample as an example for the idea of 3D sound. I think it's a really interesting idea you have come up with there. To have sound calculated like that would probably be beneficial to the players experience and would make the environment feel more real.
PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 18th Aug 2014 23:02
Just to mention once again that my Omega Core plugin now adds true 3D positional sound support for Reloaded. I will soon be adding reverb and filter effects as well.

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0071
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2014 20:24
I remember once reading up Lee's blog whereas he mentioned improvements to sound were on their way.

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 06:21:39
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 06:21:39