Product Chat / Am I doing something wrong? Changing Terrain will not save and nothing re-spawns

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everyone,

I have two big issues right now. I posted this in the Bugs forum but have not received a response yet. So, it may not be a bug. hehe. Here goes.....

First, I cannot get a changed Terrain to stick. I go into test mode and change a Terrain and Sky. Now, is there something else I need to do to save it other than just press ESC? Sometimes the Sky reverts back to the default sky right away, and other times it reverts back after I save the level. In either case, BOTH the Sky AND the Terrain is back to default when I load my level. They just won't save. I'll change to a cloudy sky and a desert Terrain but it never saves. What am I doing wrong?

The second issue I have is with character re-spawns, or lack thereof. I have spent hours playing with the spawn settings and once I kill them, they are dead. forever. Period. Even if I set them to re-spawn ( doesn't matter how many ) when killed, they will not re-spawn. Doesn't do anything when set to re-spawn after a set time either.

Is it me, or are these functions not working yet? It would be good to know so I don't waste any more time trying to make them work when they can't. lol.

Thanks in advance.
PM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
respawn is not in yet I dont think. neither is spawn after delay.

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 quad core 4gb ram.
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2014 14:29 Edited at: 20th Jun 2014 14:30
Are you using 1.007 or 1.0071? 1.0071 fixed that sky and terrain issue for me. Other than that I don't know what to tell you. Also, as almightyhood said, the spawn properties aren't active yet, but it looks like they will be in 1.008 along with a few other spawning powers! See Lee's blog:

http://fpscreloaded.blogspot.com/

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
3dMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks you VERY much for the response. And yes, I know I didn't post my issues and questions right. Sorry for that. I am using 1.0071 and am a Gold Pledger.

I know there are a LOT of things not in yet as this is Beta. However I, and probably some others, don't know what's in or not in. I spent hours and hours trying to get something to work that is not even available yet but didn't know. Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset and I love this product and I'm glad I'm working with it early in the development. It just would be nice if there was a list of key features not available yet for us newbies. Maybe I'll request it in the right forum. LOL.

Anyway, thanks again.
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2014 03:54 Edited at: 21st Jun 2014 03:58
LOL, I hear you! I have spent/wasted many hours playing around with something (usually in the fpe's), trying to get it to work simply because I didn't know it wasn't working yet! I mean, my assumption has always been if it's there, it must be working, right? Not so! So many of those properties in the fpe are leftover from Classic's fpe's and are currently still hard-coded in the engine. It never hurts to ask here, of course, but there's not any guarantees that anybody will read you post! So much valuable information gets lost in a forum of this type simply because it's unorganized and growing every day. Search is weak at best. Like you said it would be nice to know what doesn't work yet but really the only thing we can know is what they tell us in the change logs and by looking at Lee's blog. Anymore, if I try something and it doesn't work after the first few tries, I just assume it's hard-coded and move on for now.

As for your sky and terrain reverting back to the defaults, are you actually saving your map? Like I said it did that to me with 1.007 but 1.0071 fixed it. You may want to ask over in the product chat thread or the bug reports. The powers that be may be able to take a look at your map and figure out what's wrong. Good Luck!

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
3dMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes I'm actually saving the map. And what's really strange is that I'll lose the Sky right when I click save. The screen flickers and the sky reverts back. I'll change it again and click save, or save as, and it will do it again every time. The Terrain stays changed for my entire editing session, however it will not save. When/if I reload a level, my change is not there and I'm back to the defaults.

Oh, and I verified I'm using 1.0071.

Just don't understand it since I'm hearing that it works for others.
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2014 16:12
3dMan- I was able to reproduce your bug! It took me a couple tries, but it happened! I also discovered that this is a known bug. From Lee's Blog this past Thursday:

Quote: " Also improved the terrain painter and save/load system so that you no longer get I call 'terrain slide', the result of the colour pixels not exactly going back where they were painted from the previous level load. I have now done away with the baggage that tried to get top performance and now relying on a slightly slower but much more reliable image data manipulation approach which to totally preserves the previous pixel colour data. "

I think that addresses the issue. I could be wrong though! LOL! I know this much about it though: In the levelbank folder, there is a file called visuals. This is where the editor saves all the slider screen values for the currently loaded level. You can look in there and see if it is being changed after you save. (Sky and terrain values are near the bottom) Mine didn't save the changes a couple times, and that of course was when I got the problem you are having. You could manually edit the values and save the visuals file (back up the original though!). Good Luck!

PM
3dMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome! Thank you. At least I know it's not just me doing something wrong. I didn't know where the visual setting were being kept, otherwise I would have just manually changed them. Thanks again.

Can't wait for the next update as I have been reading the blogs and many of the fixes/additions have addressed my concerns/wishes.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 17:35:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 17:35:07