Product Chat / Ok I'm done

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2014 04:04 Edited at: 17th Jun 2014 04:05
Every time I post a screenshot or a video it gets some cretin comes along and marks it way down, often on the same day. This has been going on for some time now and it's getting on my nerves.

Mostly they creep back up again as other users rate them fairly. All the same I won't be posting any more vids or screenshots to the gallery from here on in, somebody needs to grow up.

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
that's just not cool at all rolfy m8.. are they able to repeat rate or? cos that would seriously be uncool!..

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 quad core 4gb ram.
PM
Imchasinyou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2014 04:16
And who's boots did you pee on? JK. Ya, that seems pretty petty and its apparently an issue I think TGC might need to look into. Surely with their sophisication, they can see who is doing what? I mean, i can on MY website and its hosted with a website providing service!

Please, Rolfy, dont let the kid run you down, in the end, Im sure they will either get over their jealousy or just find a new person to pick on. I personally nominate myself to be that next victim BUT please, dont do it here. Do it in Steam where I can be myself.

[img]http://files.enjin.com/191696/UA Members Banners/Imchasinyou.jpg[/img]
PM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
ok so, I went to the gallery, voted your winged creatures vid a 5. I don't often go to the gallaries sections, and the vids either as its quite new still yet. but I will try to keep an eye out for all your pictures and vids and vote on them when I see them . fairly of course.. btw the creatures looked great not sure why any1 would vote them down around here!.

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 quad core 4gb ram.
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2014 04:25 Edited at: 17th Jun 2014 04:26
I did notice this as my images were also voted down it should be something next should look at when he is back or it could be removed all together.

Ps voted 5 and it went up

PC SPECS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 (PASSMARK 9529) 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 3GB GPU (PASSMARK 6858) 32GB DDR3 MEM (PASSMARK 2842)
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2014 04:32 Edited at: 17th Jun 2014 10:00
You didn't need to do that guy's, I am all for fair voting but as I say this has been ongoing for a while now, I did hope they would get bored and go away but it seems not.

I am sure if they look at it they will find the same user doing it all the time or a user with an alt account. Whatever, makes no difference now as I am simply tired of it, spoke with a mod before about it and was simply told "well...someone will always be a *Mod Edit* and mark 'em down".....summat like that.

Which would be fair enough if they did it to everyone else too.

I will continue to post screens and vids in my own threads but done with the gallery

TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2014 04:35
I agree and people should not be penalised due to a cretin as you put it lol they should do away with the stars as this will happen over and over and the sad thing is people who put up great content dont get seen due to this.

PC SPECS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 (PASSMARK 9529) 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 3GB GPU (PASSMARK 6858) 32GB DDR3 MEM (PASSMARK 2842)
Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
You have my support Rolfy.
I vote to have the star system removed. Even if it was replaced with a thumbs up, yet cant thumbs down system.
I noticed Shaky Shawn Basic introduction tutorial videos had 2 stars...
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds more fair to me Defy, who would vote down a tutorial like that?

tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 17th Jun 2014 05:36
One vote isn't going to mess up your rating. If 100 people rate it and one guy rates it low then it's not going to even register in the grand scheme.

For me, I don't look at everything or vote on everything, but when I do, I don't just give everything an automatic 5. To me, a 5 is pretty special and shows some real innovation and wow factor. I will vote a 4 if it's pretty cool, but I feel that it could be improved. I give it a 3 if it's just average and doesn't really show any innovation or creativity. I don't think I've ever voted lower than a 3 though. I'd prefer to just not vote at all at that point unless it was something I found offensive, but that hasn't happened yet.

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.007
Shadow man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2014 06:13
Quote: "I vote to have the star system removed. Even if it was replaced with a thumbs up, yet cant thumbs down system."

I agree. The gallery has been in a mess for quite a while now.
PM
xCept
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
I think a simple 'like' system would be better suited in this scenario if a rating system is still desired. Realistically I also believe that the traffic on this site is low enough that having a star rating system is not very useful, since most items likely only get a few votes in total so it becomes easy to game the system so-to-speak. The default sort order should also be newest first, not by highest rated as that automatically buries the vast majority of them many pages in.

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, AMD Phenom X6 1100T 3.60 GHz CPU (Passmark: 5934), NVIDIA Geforce GTX-680 2GB GPU (Passmark: 5712), G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2014 07:41 Edited at: 17th Jun 2014 08:58
It's been going on since the gallery started. At first it bothered me, if someone voted 1 star it would disappear in to no man's land but I just don't worry about it any more.

I agree that the voting system needs to be changed to make it fairer or maybe it can show who has voted for you.

PC - Windows 7 64bit, Intel i5, 12Gb Ram, 1TB WD Black, Evga Gefore 760gtx 3GB

Laptop - Windows 7 32Bit, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000, 4GB Ram, 500Gb WD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 17th Jun 2014 07:47
the exact same thing happened in the old gallery as well, personally I don't care, much for the gallery as it is open to abuse, which is why I rather have my own thread with video's screens ect.People that have issues, troll or whatever is then quickly spotted and oust.

You do great work rolfy, so I wouldn't be bothered too much, thought acceptance and that people generally like the work you do is what every one wants, there will be some escaped mental patients who personally have nothing better to do...shrug it off and move on.If you have an issue take it up with the admin and staff first they might be slow on replies, however this does put you sort in a bad light, considering the thread titled, I would have rephrased it differently, but considering the how "annoyed" you are it is understandable that you lost some composure writing it.Chin up smile, and wave to everybody
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Guys,

I've made a note to dicuss this with Rick and the Next for our next web/store meeting. I don't know how much work is involved, so will make no promises, but I'm sure we can come up with something.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Just so I am clear on why it annoys me, I never much posted into the Classic gallery and didn't have much intention of doing it round here. But TGC have actively encouraged myself and others to do this. I put a lot of work into these and can do without some troll knocking 'em down just cos they got some chip on their shoulder.
I simply have better things to do with my time, it would work better for me if I thought it was something not getting used to make whatever sad statement some eejit has, whether it's personal or not.

Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2014 09:29
tomjscott wrote: "For me, I don't look at everything or vote on everything, but when I do, I don't just give everything an automatic 5. To me, a 5 is pretty special and shows some real innovation and wow factor. I will vote a 4 if it's pretty cool, but I feel that it could be improved. I give it a 3 if it's just average and doesn't really show any innovation or creativity. I don't think I've ever voted lower than a 3 though. I'd prefer to just not vote at all at that point unless it was something I found offensive, but that hasn't happened yet."

This sounds spot on to me and good way of thinking.

Maybe members could post a comment under the screenshot and say why they rated the image up or down. I rather members told me where I'm going wrong so that I can improve and not keep making the same mistakes.

Laptop - Windows 7 32Bit, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000, 4GB Ram, 500Gb WD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850
PM
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2014 09:44
Hi,

We will review this next week when TheNext is back from vacation. We all seem to think a LIKE system will work better.

Rick

Development Director

TGC Team
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
It should be once you have rated something you cant rate that particular pic or vid again.
Im sure the store works that way ? or highest rating should stick..
PM
Dralel
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2014 14:44
Simple solution really. Get rid of the star system and replace it with a thumbs up system only. The picture with the most thumbs up gets bumped higher.

GPU: GTX 660, CPU: i7 3770 Intel 3.40ghz x4, PSU: 650 Watt, RAM: 8GB DDR3, OS: Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I must admit I don't visit it very often. I don't much care for voting systems like this, as there's always some fool who goes around voting stuff down for no reason. You tube can be similar. Even if I think a video is awful I never give it a thumbs down for instance. Why bother?

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 260GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Game Development
Posted: 17th Jun 2014 15:15
I've actually never visited the gallery. Sorry to hear that idiots are bringing your ratings down. Like others here have said, I am not much for the credence of rating systems. To me, they are not a un-biased uniform measured standard to be judged by.

However, remember Rolfy, your peers judge you in their replies - and as far as I can see, you are very VERY highly regarded around these parts.

Mike

YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!

www.world-class-multimedia.com

For world-class virtual instruments - www.supersynths.com
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
never even realised there was a voting system but going to have to agree, a like only system is much better

life's one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2014 21:16 Edited at: 19th Jun 2014 21:46
I am beginning to realise from comments that it is mostly those who post to the gallery that visit it, I usually drop by as it can be interesting at this point to see what others are doing (provided I catch it before it gets bumped down five pages). I can understand TGC's need to have screens posted as it is the front line for new users viewing the product pages to see what others are doing with it and with more users comes more funding and this benefits us all

It would be best to have the thumbs up and maybe a category for competition winners too as the default, as these may actually be the best screens for potential new users to be viewing on first impression, it also shows this is an active community they can participate in.

MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2014 17:07
It is a shame that someone just down rate for no real reason. I deal with the same problem on indie db. one guy from the fpsc forum decide out of the blue he would rate my game a 5. so now not sure if i want to post any of my other games on fpsc forum if user are comparing their work with others or feel they can do better. like smallg said I never realise this until this post.

more than what meets the eye.Welcome to SciFi Summer

gtx770 sc acx 2gb gpu boost 2.0

tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Jun 2014 20:05
I think I may have inadvertently figured out one reason why ratings may be wacko. I saw your awesome smuggler's cove image and was going to rate it a 5, but I clicked on the Rate button before setting the value, which for some reason defaults to 0. For some reason I was thinking Rate was a dropdown, but the values are a dropdown. And as soon as I hit rate, the rating went from 5 down to 4. And then I hit it again before I realized what was going on. I did finally set it to 5 and hit rate again and the rating went back to 5. So, I'm not sure if it is correcting my original bad ratings or what.

I think this is the first time that happened to me so I don't think I've done this before, but maybe others have and didn't realize it.

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.0071
DolphinLover30
Years of Service
User Offline
Well take away anonymous voting if this is a problem. when someone votes the owner should be able to see who voted and have a comment section that is required to be used to post a vote. This is not politics so anonymity is not an issue, if you can stand on the soap box then let people know who you are I bet that will stop the bash voting by the jealous people that have no clue how to make a game so they bash others creativity.

This town is infested with killer cockroaches .. repeat .. killer cockroaches !!
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
@tomjscott may well have done that myself but like you I noticed it right away when I did. I decided to give it a chance and post that screenshot and it hasn't taken the nosedive that others have before it, perhaps bringing this to the attention of everyo
tommy8
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2014 02:53
Would it be possible to introduce a system whereby when you vote for an image you have to justify your vote with a written message no fewer than a few words long? This could deter most of the trolls.
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2014 11:46
Hi Guys, I have emailed Rick to provide an update on this issue as I think it's vital the Gallery be a place where top artists can exhibit their work and for other users to see what is possible with Reloaded.

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2014 14:41
I am back and the decision has been made to go with a like system, the change will be made shortly.

All ratings will be converted to likes so if you wish to remove a like head over to the gallery once the change is completed.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for that, I believe it was being used wrongly.

Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah nice update, just had a look then.

MOS Technology 6510, VIC-II, SID 6581 i wish...
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2014 15:47 Edited at: 26th Jun 2014 15:54
I don't see me going over there and removing a 'like' all the same, I did 'like' an image I had overlooked before and it returned an 'error 404' message on going back it had added the like however but maybe something not quite right just yet

Edit* Tried another and this time it worked just fine

The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2014 16:00
Yeh I was editing and broke something. The first version is now done and working needs a design tidy up but that is for later I have some more important things on my list.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked
PM
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2014 16:16 Edited at: 26th Jun 2014 16:16
Great work Next, I 'like' it !

PM
mguy1122
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: witcher 3
Posted: 28th Jun 2014 03:20
I sure hope you don't stop posting your work rolfy. Every screen shot I've seen of yours is awesome and inspires myself to try harder on my own project. A lot of the stuff you do demonstrates what the game creator is capable of. My screenshots have been trolled as well and it is aggravating when you put something out there you're proud of and some dingleberry comes along and gives it the one star just to be a dick.
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2014 03:45 Edited at: 28th Jun 2014 03:46
I think its best to remove the ability to downvote and only upvote. Also you should only be able to vote/like if logged in. Can't recall if that is already the case.

* Just read The Next's replies. Awesome stuff! Much better system.

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
I see no reason to stop posting to the galleries now that this is fixed, as I say it's really not an ego trip, I can get that by making my own threads if it is really what I wanted. In our own way I feel we help TGC to promote the project which has become very close to some of us, it benefits us all to showcase our best efforts in this way and helps us to feel we are a part of things.

The way the gallery was open to abuse was not conducive to the overall project in any way and seemed to become nothing more than a way to pull it all down to a base level. I am sure most of you will agree we want this to succeed and every little helps

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2014 10:42 Edited at: 29th Jun 2014 10:43
We're glad this is working for you guys. We do listen to feedback and this is a great example of a community led change.

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 23:53:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 23:53:33