Product Chat / Introduction and first problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys, how are ya's?
My name is Brendan and I have been following these forums and the classic forums for years now. I have always wanted to get involved but have always felt outta my depths
My girlfriend and kids decided to get me FPS Creator Reloaded for Father's Day, so know i owe it to them to make my first game for my kids to play lol
It will be a pleasure for my knowledge to grow alongside this awesome program, and to chat and get advice from some of the people I have admired for years now (Rolfy, Cosmic Prophet, henry ham, wizard of id, wolf, kravenwolf and many more, apologies to the awesome guys that I forgot).

Well enough about me and more about my problem lol....
I have created a new terrain texture and i seem to have done it correctly as it I have got it working ingame, but the problem is on the game itself and editor it has squares around it.The texture is seemless and I have made sure there is no blank pixels around the edges of the image. The only thing that i think it might be is the Nvida dds plugin settings for photoshop (im really not sure).

Here is a couple of screenshots.

Thanks in advance guys
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2014 09:20
Hello and welcome to reloaded. Good luck with your game ideas.

maybe try wrapping the edges of the normal map, usually required for a seamless texture. Maybe WIZ or Rolfy will chime in with some better info.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 4gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah hi man, and welcome.
Check your texture size, power of 2. 512x512, 1024x1024 etc
Check your texture though, to me it looks like the texture is not on the edge, creating the seam. I may be wrong..lol
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
@Defy :Agreed it looks that way to me.....
PM
Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Knicker Thief,

Welcome to the active forums and nice to see you now involved in the community.

I agree that the most probable reason here is indeed there is a 1 pixels rogue colour on at least some edges of the texture.

It is possible that with some software programmes even when inside the paint/image software no white pixels exist that on export/save they can insert at an edge or more than one edge. I have some software that can do this incorrectly. Its always worth checking your images closely under magnification around the edges if you have this as an issue. If you can get a seamless texture maker and view it as a tiled image example to checking such things that can be helpful.

I use Texture Maker for making seamless textures and its quite good though one has to buy it. Not sure if there are any free ones around these days.

If you can let someone who would like to help here have the texture by attaching it here they may be able to take a look at it for you if you are happy to give it out for the purpose.

wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 17th Jun 2014 14:24 Edited at: 17th Jun 2014 14:27
I wouldn't know until I can see the actual texture, from the screenshot one can only assume it's not seamless.However terrain textures are slightly more tricky than a simple seamless texture (has to be seamless both vertical and horizontal).

Terrain texture includes a layer mask which contains the specular map of the texture.The other reason why it can show lines like that is if the normal map for the terrain is set too high.

But I think the most obvious one is that it is only seamless either vertical or horizontal, and texture is not the power of 2.Oh terrains do however have to have the same dimensions as well for example 1.024 x 1024. Shader only works as far as I know with power of 2 on the same dimensions
Knicker Thief
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys thanks for all the help.
Well all I can really say is its fixed and I never changed anything
I posted this thread last night while going to bed and when I tried again today, it didnt seem to have any lines.lol
It has me curious now

Thanks again guys
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
When you tried it the first time had you restarted reloaded ?
Or just popped the folders in and tried it whilst it was already running ?

Could have made a difference
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2014 10:12
Any media changes require reloaded to shut down and restart, cleaning the dbo and bin files of the object you are testing for each change to it. It is the only way to be sure that it is the most current in the engine.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 4gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Knicker Thief
Years of Service
User Offline
ok guys, thanks again. Still learning here, so all advice is welcome.

Just outta curiosity, which forum should I post in to show my early progress and as I development my knowledge? (i think its too early for the WIP forum?)
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2014 10:27
We have a work in progress thread, but if you want to ask a question in relation to your project then this forum group is probably the one you will get more eyeballs on. Welcome to the community and good luck with your creations!

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 15:25:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 15:25:42