Scripts / LUA For FPSC:R is so easy to learn the basics OMG

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 19:13
So after looking over a few scripts in my scriptbank, I pretty much figured it all out, including the layout and how things work, I probably couldn't make my own script without a reference, but is it really that easy? I see all these tutorials and I cant learn crap from them, I learned more in a hour of going through scripts and playing around with them that I ever did reading books etc. is that normal? The only luck I had was learning a minor ammount of java a few years back. is Lua one of the easiest to learn? or can someone link me to a great Lua tutorial that doesn't go into super detail? one that is interactive as well. (seeing as I learn more from testing and tweaking than I do reading) Also one that the whole first 5 chapters DONT revolve around telling me how to say hello world LOL

------Dead of Night----- Open World Zombie Horror!!

Youtube/ShakyShawn8151 > 10k Subs Celebration
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
there is a game sort of thing somewhere i will be back with a link soon m8

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 quad core 4gb ram.
PM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
ok m8, not sure if these cover Lua now, but was what i was given to look at for learning code on these forums and by my uncle so here you are.

http://code.org/learn simple to use when i did it a lot like avrams lua designer in here
http://yearofcode.org/ didn't really look into this 1 much and cant remember what it was exactly sorry.

those might be of help they might not but check them out all the same maybe?.

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 quad core 4gb ram.
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
i agree, i'm no coder, having only used dbpro for a week or so years ago to try out some really basic stuff (hello world type stuff probably covers it ) but i've just learned everything (as u say -) from looking at scripts and asking for help here when needed - it really is a very basic system but you can still do a lot with the right ideas, a really good script is something like the door script from the wiki (because it shows you some good examples of how to effectively give more custom control to the user or the hunger thirst script which AuShadow did as he put a lot of comments in there to explain it in detail
and dont forget to look at the global.lua and try out the different commands, right now these are the most important commands as they are the one's that work (and work easily)

life's one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
shakyshawn8151
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 21:45
@smallg, alright I will, this has opened up a whole new part of excitement for me in FPSCR, nowww if only I was any good at modeling I would be set lol.

@almightyhood, alright awesome, I'll defiantly check those out!! Thanks!!

unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 23:01
Quote: "nowww if only I was any good at modeling I would be set lol."

Take a look at my modelling tutorials.

LINK

Modelling is easy once you get the basics sorted.

Cheers

Jay.

shakyshawn8151
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 23:07
@unfamillia Thanks, I will have to check them out when I get back.

------Dead of Night----- Open World Zombie Horror!!

Youtube/ShakyShawn8151 > 10k Subs Celebration
lvlrgreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2014 23:06
unfamillia, you have some good teching skills. nice tut.

"Dont live life like a game , you only get 1 life"
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2014 13:43
I'm certainly not a great coder, but I am familiar with several languages and get the gist of it. An expert coder would surely call any code I write sloppy, inefficient, etc., but I'm of the feeling that if it works and doesn't suck up resources, then it's fine. Having said that, I too feel I have learned much more just by studying others' code than through books/tutorials. I'm not knocking all tutorials, but most just seem to not get the point across in their writing or simply lose the reader's interest. Modeling tutorials, on the other hand, are great, especially with video being so common. I'm no artist but have learned tons about Blender on YouTube these past several months. They have really taken a lot of the mystery out of that program for me. Unfamilia's tutorials are fantastic and there are many others on the Tube.

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 15:58:06
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 15:58:06