3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Transparent windows turn out solid after importing from milk shape. Any suggestions?

Author
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: witcher 3
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 21:53
I'm pretty new to milk shape so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. after making my own custom see through window I exported it, added the texture file and fpe and put it into reloaded. After running a test game I looked at the model and the window is solid(you cant see through it). So am I skipping a step somewhere or does the transparency not transfer over from milk shape? If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful!
PM
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 07:56
I'm no expert, but as far as I know, transparency must be done in a photoediting program (GIMP or Photoshop), using the alpha channel.
mguy1122
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 17:44
I never thought to try that. I have gimp so I will give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
PM
mguy1122
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 18:11
I added the Alpha channel to the texture and did a test with a transparent cube. I'm still getting the same problem of it not being transparent. Adding the Alpha channel to my texture was one thing I missed,so there seems to be another important step I'm not doing to get it to work.
PM
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 20:53
Open up your texture image in GIMP.
Right click on the layer with the image.
Select 'Add layer mask'
Choose a grey colour (darker = more transparency)
Making sure that the layer mask is selected, paint the grey over the area you want to be transparent (you should see the chequered background appear behind the texture).
Export as .dds file.
mguy1122
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 21:39
Thank you very much! I followed your instructions and got it to work. It was trying to be a pain exporting the image saying that the dds plugin couldn't handle masks but I exported anyway and it seemed to work. Anyway, this helps me out a lot. Thank you again
PM
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 22:55
I'm only just learning this stuff myself, so I'm glad I could help.
mguy1122
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2014 00:24
hmmm... I seem to have found another roadblock. After I placed my model in the level it worked great until I put some trees around it. When I go inside and look out the window I can see the ground perfectly but only parts of trees. Have you ran into this problem yet? I saw another posting where they were talking about a similar problem and they said to set the transparency to 1 but that doesn't seem to be helping.
PM
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2014 08:39 Edited at: 14th Jun 2014 08:46
I'm not having that problem at all. Maybe it's the DDS plugin for GIMP that you're using (I'm using the 32bit plugin found here (http://code.google.com/p/gimp-dds/downloads/list)). I've also attached the window object that I've been using to test transparency. It worked perfectly with trees a few minutes ago.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
mguy1122
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2014 17:05
As an experiment, I tried to use your window texture in my building to see if that fixed the problem. I still can't see any trees, only landscape. I decided to open your window in reloaded and put a bunch of trees behind it and the same things happening, no trees! So, if your window is working in your version of reloaded what's wrong with mine? I'm going to upload my building on here and if you have the time could you tested out. You're free to use the building for whatever you want after.thank you for the help

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
mguy1122
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2014 17:15
I thought I should mention, is not only trees, none of the entities are visible through the window. Only landscape and grass
PM
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2014 21:05
The plot thickens - you can only see some of the trees through the window that I made, and not others. Maybe it's a shader issue.
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2014 21:49
When I first tested the window, I could see all the trees. Then, when I tested about an hour ago, I could see only some of the trees. I just tested it a few minutes ago with 14 different trees, and I couldn't see a single one. I have changed nothing, so I have absolutely no idea what's going on.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2014 21:49
set the transparency to 1 or 2 in the fpe property's. See if that works for you better, There are modes 3,4 and 5,6 also.

There listed far into some thread. Do a search for them they should pop up.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 4gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

mguy1122
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2014 22:50
I already have the transparency set to 2. I went through the list and set the transparency to 1/2/3/4/5/6 and none of them made a difference. I found this post where Lee gives an explanation on transparency but besides the background scripting I think its ground we've already covered.http://fpscrforum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208916&b=1 looking from the outside of the building I can see everything inside the building just fine so the transparency is working to a degree. I don't really understand why you would be able to see the ground and grass but not the entities out the window.
PM
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2014 08:03
Just tried an experiment : placed the trees first, and then the window - no problems, could see all the trees.
placed the window, then the trees - problem, could see nothing.
removed the window, then replaced it - could only see one of the three trees.
started new map, repeated step one, just to make sure - no problem, could see all the trees.
mguy1122
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2014 19:33
I just tested that out and sure enough it works. I guess I'll have to do scenery before buildings. I'm assuming this is a bug in the beta, hopefully it gets fixed eventually. Good work gtox!
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 02:34:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 02:34:13